Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Model 3 sub-frame supports

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.

canasion35

Feb 8, 2021
FL
Anybody running either of the below? Seem like a worthwhile upgrade to stiffen things up in the rear. I would like to get rid of the jittery/unsettled feeling that i have in the rear of the car.

1666970468662.png

1666970492625.png

• Informative
Reactions: XPsionic
Anybody running either of the below? Seem like a worthwhile upgrade to stiffen things up in the rear. I would like to get rid of the jittery/unsettled feeling that i have in the rear of the car.

View attachment 868447

View attachment 868448
Have you considered the MPP rear subframe inserts as well?

https://www.mountainpassperformance.com/product/rear-subframe-inserts-tesla-model-3/

I've no experience with adding bracing to this car, nor plans to, but I can believe it would be beneficial. The chassis rigidity of my 2021 M3P feels fine...but definitely not top of class for 2021.

Reactions: canasion35
I believe that unsettled feeling comes from hitting the bump stops. Even at stock height there's only ~3/4" of rear suspension travel before the bump stops come into play. Shortening them makes a very noticeable difference in handling feel but also makes high-center scraping on driveways even more common.
Big agreement there. I've said since almost day 1 with this car that rear compression travel feels very limited. That said, I'm assuming this is about mid-corner feel, not bottoming out over big dips or bumps.

As for stiffening the rear, @canasion35 have you upgraded all your rear control arms yet? (whole arm replacements or otherwise) MPP's writing on this says that should be a first step, not much point in stiffening the rear subframe if you still have stock control arm bushings. I can't vouch for that from my own experience, but I'm certainly inclined to trust MPP on it.

View attachment 868447

View attachment 868448
I would not touch the front subframe at it is designed to fold upon itself in a heavy front end crash. The subframe will basically fold over. I have seen crash test video footage doing just that. The ultra racing front subframe bar seems like it would restrict that movement.

watch around the 1:25 mark and you can see how the subframe compresses upon itself. - I would not touch that area.

Big agreement there. I've said since almost day 1 with this car that rear compression travel feels very limited. That said, I'm assuming this is about mid-corner feel, not bottoming out over big dips or bumps.

As for stiffening the rear, @canasion35 have you upgraded all your rear control arms yet? (whole arm replacements or otherwise) MPP's writing on this says that should be a first step, not much point in stiffening the rear subframe if you still have stock control arm bushings. I can't vouch for that from my own experience, but I'm certainly inclined to trust MPP on it.
I have not upgraded to their arms just yet however i have really been thinking about it. I suppose from the responses here their sub-frame bushings will be a worthwhile upgrade!

I would not touch the front subframe at it is designed to fold upon itself in a heavy front end crash. The subframe will basically fold over. I have seen crash test video footage doing just that. The ultra racing front subframe bar seems like it would restrict that movement.

watch around the 1:25 mark and you can see how the subframe compresses upon itself. - I would not touch that area.
This is interesting. I just picked up a Hardrace brace that couples the compression arms and nothing else — it looks like they specifically engineered it not to interfere with this front-to-back subframe compression.

The music in that video is way too happy for the setting 🤣

I agree that replacing the stock arms/bushings in the rear will fix the unsettled feeling you are describing. I had the same complaint- and even brought the vehicle to service for it - and was told it was normal.

Then I went and replaced all the rear arms with MPP arms - holy cow what a difference. It absolutely transformed the way the car handles. The unsettled feeling is completely gone for me, and since replacing the arms doesn’t affect the way the subframe behaves in a crash, there’s no worry about compromising the vehicle’s stellar crash protection engineering.