Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Model 3 Supercharging Capable Discussion

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
You're dreaming. $250 won't remotely cover it. At 12 cents/kwh, doing 2 full charge trips (or one return trip) per month, the cost of power alone for one year exceeds $250. And that doesn't cover any of the install/maintenance costs on the station. Even at $2k per car, Tesla is losing money on it. The margins on a 35K car will not permit them to absorb those losses.

Exactly Tesla has said that they set aside $500, or was it $600, of the Supercharger fee/cost of car to cover electricity expenses. So I would say $1,000 would be the minimum, but more likely $1,500-2,000.

This seems like going back on their word if there is indeed a fee that is now planned.

In the original version "Supercharging" is clearly included at the sticker price, and also Elon spoke at the unveiling similarly. The idea of free supercharging has to be at least a contributor to the demand for early pre-orders.

As such, it would probably be fair to include supercharging for everyone who ordered before whatever change Tesla decided internally and then visibly. Bottom line I assumed based on their communication that supercharging (not supercharging "capability") would be included.

I watched the show in full and it was very clearly stated that the model 3 is supercharger enabled . Never heard EM say " free charging ". For 35k base price, don't understand why people assume free charging for life! You don't see ICE sold (at any price range) with free gas?

I wouldn't say they're going back on their word, as the original "word" was a little vaguely worded, causing an entire thread of speculation as to what Elon meant. The last "official" word I heard was they hadn't decided what to do about superchargers and the 3, beyond the hardware in place in the car. So I think it's reasonable for them to waffle on the language on the page. They also changed the wording of the autopilot and safety.

model-3-features-april-8-e1460122540439.png

So the words out of Elon's mouth were, "And with respect to supercharging, all Model 3's will come with supercharging standard."

Yet the image behind him clearly states "SUPERCHARGING CAPABILITY".

Supercharging.JPG

This is the problem with Elon sometimes -- he's not always completely accurate in his presentations. He gets excited, he speaks "off the cuff" and without scripts, and sometimes he blows it. Here he clearly blew it -- he should have been more specific.

From the sound of things, all Model 3's will come with the supercharging hardware standard (supercharging capable), but not necessarily activated. It seems Tesla still needs to work that piece out.

Also noticed that the Tesla has updated the wording for Model 3 Supercharging since this morning.
To me this indicates that SC capability is included on all cars, but perhaps will be activated for a fee.

Current version
View attachment 170114

Early version
View attachment 170115

This has been covered before, it didn't change this morning. I think it changed on the 1st. (Or maybe the 2nd.)

Most Model S owners never or rarely if ever use SCs.
Half the Model S fleet (perhaps less now) doesn't have AP convenience features.

Iacocca initially released the Mustang without a radio in the base model, because he wanted the car to appeal to families as an affordable family car.

It makes sense to have a base Model 3 with neither SCing nor AP convenience features enabled - but enable-able at any time by anybody for a one-time $1000-$2500. For some people, it's easier to get a monthly payment they can work with up front, and to then save for one-time expenses without paying interest thereon for years. Remember the target demographic.

Many metropolitan Honda Civic and Toyota Corolla buyers don't leave a 50-mile radius, and if they do, they fly.

That said, of course others will order the car fully loaded with every conceivable performance and comfort option. Fine and dandy. But I'd be kinda annoyed if I had to buy features I wasn't planning to use much if at all. And some people are perfectly happy waking up every day with a full charge in their garage, carport, or driveway, and they have neither the time nor energy to take road trips for the heck of it.

Honestly I don't want it free. Stops the abuse. The super chargers near me are always packed with people who live nearby instead of people traveling through who really need it.

Living nearby does not constitute "abuse".

Living nearby with a garage/driveway/carport and using SCs instead of using home charging installed therein may constitute "abuse".

Using the car for profit (livery) and using an SC 4x/day every day may constitute "abuse".

Per Tesla, the non-garaged owner who has the temerity to live nearby may use SCs to charge, unless and until they can secure charging at work or at home some other way.

With the exception of livery, there is precious little evidence that locals are, as a collective group, "abusing" SCs.

There is, on the other hand, significant evidence continent-wide that many people could do a better job of exiting the stall immediately after their charge is complete (ICEing by our own). Further, there is an opportunity to educate owners about the negative effects of pairing, and how to avoid it when possible. Lastly, ICEing by non-EVs is its own kettle of rancid fish.

Reactions: callmesam
I don't have a problem if SC requires an one of or pay per use activation charge for the Model 3.

I presume some people won't require SC capability. They're buying a M3 as an "extended range Leaf" for short inner-city trips and charge at home or work. They don't do a single trip requiring more than a single charge.

For those who DO want to do long cross-country routes, then if I were a M3 driver, I wouldn't feel too bad about this.

I'm sure Tesla will have done some internal calculations varying from 5% of M3 owners using SC to 95%. If the latter, once the manufacturing ramps up and we start seeing M3s on the road, then even doubling the number of SCs won't compensate for the massive influx of SC-demanding M3 drivers. Charging to enable it ensures only those who really need it and budget for it will actually use it.

I wonder if somehow cars could automatically move after supercharging to a nearby parking lot.

Supercharging station of the future:
You pull your car into a cue (or actually just park anywhere nearby, Tesla knows which cars came first).
->supercharging time alloted based on how big the line is.
You leave. When it's your car's turn it self-parks itself into the correct stall, and proceeds to be penetrated by the Electric Phallus. When done it parks it at the nearest parking stall near where you parked it.

• Funny
Reactions: nd4spd569