Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Model 3 Technical / Mechanical Issues

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Now that there are a bunch of 3's on the road...we need a sticky....one thread for issues.

Y'all been following this road trip....seems like he's already encountered the following issues in just a few days:
1. Air bag light.
2. Tire pressure sensor.
3. Charging lid.
4. Wipers knock.
5. Music system noises.
6. Service response malfunction.
7. Loud pop in back and warning light.
8. 12v plug not working.
9. Low quality wiper blades leaving strikes.
10. Time zone recognition.
11. Mistakes in charging rates calculation.
12. Llow quality “upgraded

AP glitches, TPMS warnings, airbag errors, meeting a Ranger to reset the screen -- YouYouXue's Model 3 road trip has everything! • r/RealTesla
Tesla Model 3 Road Trip
https://jalopnik.com/tesla-model-3-owner-on-cross-country-road-trip-has-alre-1821646237

The "12V plug" issue was the fuse in his 120V inverter, not an issue with the car's 12V plug

upload_2017-12-29_10-6-24.png

He also mentioned that Tesla has called him 3x to discuss his issues and they informed him that they have opened cases to study some of the issues he has encountered.

upload_2017-12-29_10-10-36.png

Fortunately at least 40% of the issues listed are software glitches (when taking into account the 12V non-issue) and the rest involve cheap parts worth a couple of dollars each.

The production bottleneck might have a silver lining - giving the company more time to root out the most prevalent problems in a smaller pool of cars. Less bad press, fewer dissatisfied customers and fewer repairs to pay for.

Last edited:
Sounds like Edmund's has a lit of issues:
Monthly Update for April 2018 - 2017 Tesla Model 3 Long-Term Road Test

TLDR: "Just to recap, this has all happened in the past four weeks, less than four full months into our yearlong test. We've already scheduled a third service visit for next month, and our collective patience with this car is wearing thin.

Days out of service: 0"

• Would not recognize keycard in or on the console and hence would not go into gear. It did, however, unlock the car. Workaround was to force quit the app and restart the app. Then it would allow the choice of Drive or Reverse.
• The backup camera screen did not appear when reversing.
• Nav screen going haywire: zooming, scrolling, pinching, pixelating all at once.
• Audio system turning on by itself at full volume.
• Audio display randomly moving up and down the screen without any command from a human.
• Audio system came on and went to full volume all by itself while the car was off, locked and unoccupied. I heard it from 100 yards away. "Who is that joker playing his stereo so loud I can hear it from here?" Oh, it's Elon. I turned it down, but it kept wavering up and down as I started driving, working against my repeated attempts to dial it down. Then it blasted all the way to maximum. My ears are still ringing two hours later. Fixed after reboot. Not sure about hearing damage.
• Audio page leaping up and down rapidly like the up-caret button to expand the source menu was being played with by a kid who ate too much candy. Concurrent with the volume problem above. Same reboot.
• Icons on the map screen flickering.
• The passenger vanity mirror fell off completely. Installed and held on only by double-sided tape. Reinstalled by pressing really hard on the mirror.
• The screen went completely dark on startup, no music or operation. Restarted the car. The screen worked; the backup camera did not.

After service center visit:
• The car will not shift into Drive or Reverse upon startup. "Vehicle Systems Are Powering Up. Shift Into D or R After Message Clears." Have to wait for it to power up. A loud click comes from the rear of the car as if a drive shaft is engaging and the message on the screen goes away.
• The car displays a new message: "Cannot Maintain Vehicle Power. Car May Stop Driving or Shut Down." No shutdowns yet, but keeping an eye out.
• With 170 miles of range, the car displays a "Regenerative Braking Limited" message. Plenty of available space to store regen power. Logged the issue, then reset the screen with a reboot. The message has not displayed since.
• While the car was parked, the passenger sun visor was left down and the mirror fell out. Pressed back into place. Hoping it won't fall out again.