Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Model 3 Timeline from prototype to release candidate

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Hi guys, everybody is waiting for new release candidate videos. I just thought about making a small time line. I will update it:
31. March 2016:
  • unveil of Model 3 with two prototypes and one mull
End of July 2016:
  • completed Model 3 design phase
  • released Model 3 for tooling, production planning
  • stamping and paint centers for Model 3 already on line
  • plan to start construction of the new Model 3 body and general assembly centers later in 2016
  • changing release plan from end of 2017 to second half of 2017
End of October 2016:
  • completed production line layouts, starting of installation of new body welding and final assembly lines soon
  • testing of vehicle systems; chassis, high and low voltage systems, HVAC, infotainment and lighning
January 2017:
  • started with 2170 cell manufactoring at gigafactory. Production of Model 3 cells should start in Q2 2017.
February 2017:
  • started building of Model 3 prototypes
  • positive crash test
  • production start now in July, volume production in September
March 2017
  • First drive of a release candidate version of Model 3

Source: Quarter Report and calls, Wikipedia, Twitter

Reactions: ikjadoon
I would probably include the full autonomous "2nd reveal" in your timeline.
I still don't understand how in any shape or form this can possibly be considered a "2nd reveal".

It basically boiled down to "All cars built from here on out will have autonomous hardware! Including Model 3."

By this logic, every time Elon tweets about Model 3 is a reveal. We must be on reveal #23 by now, give or take!

If they are able to build release candidates now, why are we not seeing reservations fulfilled for 3 months?

I understand there are going to be early constraints on parts, but how many test cars are going to be on roads? they obviously aren't putting M3s in stores or out for test drives any time soon. Every S/X that is sold before the M3 hits the streets is a tax credit that is going to cost someone who can't afford $100K+ car thousands of dollars. Give it a month to beta test a few dozen cars and lets get these things rolling out to employees ;)

I still don't understand how in any shape or form this can possibly be considered a "2nd reveal".

It basically boiled down to "All cars built from here on out will have autonomous hardware! Including Model 3."

By this logic, every time Elon tweets about Model 3 is a reveal. We must be on reveal #23 by now, give or take!

The only reason I mentioned it was because some of the tweets and Elon's statements pointed towards 'it will make more sense after the 2nd reveal'. While it wasn't what everyone expected it definitely changed the perception of the car based on the fact that the autonomous driving features were in fact the 2nd reveal.

• Informative
Reactions: Model 3
If they are able to build release candidates now, why are we not seeing reservations fulfilled for 3 months?

I understand there are going to be early constraints on parts, but how many test cars are going to be on roads? they obviously aren't putting M3s in stores or out for test drives any time soon. Every S/X that is sold before the M3 hits the streets is a tax credit that is going to cost someone who can't afford $100K+ car thousands of dollars. Give it a month to beta test a few dozen cars and lets get these things rolling out to employees ;)
Because it's a release canditate and not a production car. Check on reddit today, where somebody posted the new sightning mule: "Two cars, other was a BMW. They were driving pretty fast past me. I pulled a u turn and followed. They switched drivers."
So it looks like they are tweaking the software for driving dynamics.
The whole release plan is so thight, and iI wouldn't wonder if they announce a delay about 2 months.
Edit: I can't edit my first post :(