Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Model 3 to have <60kW Supercharging?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Tesla only charges per minute in states where the law prevents a fee per kWh. If Tesla had a large number of tiers based on charging rate, then they'd be charging for power per minute, which would be tantamount to charging per kWh, and regulators would very likely frown upon it.
I don't think it's even concern about regulators, more that it adds unnecessary complexity when two tiers is fine to account for taper.

As a person who has owned Tesla's for a few years I find the average Tesla user rarely uses a Supercharger. Their normal charge is at home while they are sleeping.

There are those who commute over 100+ miles each way to work or who use their car for their work (salesman) but these type of drivers are in the minority.

For those who have a long commute it is not like Tesla has purposely reduced how fast the car will charge it is because once a battery gets a 75 to 85% charge the charging slows down. I find it takes as much time to charge the first 80% on my P90D as it does to charge the last 20%. (I rarely charge past 80% but there are times when I know I am going to be driving a lot I will top it off.) Since the batteries could be almost 50% of kW's offered in the S/X you will reach the tapering point sooner and since the batteries are smaller you will need to charge more frequently. So you get the double whammy. But as I said in the beginning this will not effect the average user since they will only use the charger when on vacation.

I was charging the other day at the West Palm Beach Supercharger. It is about 120 miles from my house to the charger and I didn't start with a full charge. There were no other cars at the Supercharger. Where normally it takes me 25-minutes to go from a 20% charge to a 80% charge it had already taken 45 minute and it still was only 50% charged. I tried another stall and it still took abort 45 minutes to get to 80%. Hopefully over time they get more consistent.

We are all speculating here. I guess we'll know what rate of charge the smaller battery will support at the reveal. Will it be the 50-70kWh rate similar models support or the higher rates the larger batteries in the luxury class support.

Simply put, you don't think Tesla will allow the 3 to supercharge. You're saying it will be similar to other models that don't have supercharging capability. The problem with this thinking, of course, is that Tesla has explicitly stated the 3 will be supercharging capable. You're championing a thought that Tesla refuted nearly a year ago already. Not to mention all the great arguments given by posters in this thread as to why limiting the 3's "supercharging" would be an horrific decision.

Seriously, singular individual of the sluggish electrons. The Model 3 will Supercharge. Tesla's newest vehicles, whether S, X, or 3 (or something we haven't seen yet) will always charge at the fastest speeds Tesla's newest Superchargers are capable of. Anything else would be contrary to the stated mission of accelerating our transition to sustainable transport. Why needlessly tie the hands of any vehicle? Limiting charge rates would erase Tesla's primary advantage over all the competition -- as Bolt owners will soon realize, long range is great until you can't charge at a Supercharger.

Last edited:
  • Funny
  • Helpful
Reactions: deonb and EinSV
Actually Tesla's ideas is based on the most fair way for payment which is by consumed kWh. Only for regions/countries that do not support the fair way of paying per kWh, Tesla compensates for this with the 2-step-payment (Tier 1, Tier 2) per minute.

I assume that a linear match between charging per minute and using the current kw rate at any point in time (which would be the most fair way when charging per minute) might have some technical issues and that's why they don't offer more than 2 Tiers ... maybe it is only the final billing would need to have hundreds of lines listing every single charging minute with its associated kw charging rate.

So the 2 Tier payment plan has nothing to do with favoring certain Models, it is just the idea to provide a simple method which tries to bring some fairness into the charging per minute. Like other mentioned already it would be stupid if Tesla would block their own assets by intentionally charging at a lower rate than technically possible. In contrary they need to speed up charging.

• Funny
Reactions: Snerruc