Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Model 3 to model X

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
X benefits:
1: LOTS of storage
2: More power by a landslide
3: More Rare than a M3 because of the price
4: Better ride quality
5: Massive Windshield (opinion)

X cons:
1: MX is known to be known as a “wannabe mini van”
2: MX is generally more expensive to maintain

3 Pros:

1: Great daily driver
2: It is a Mini go kart with a good dose of power
3: Affordable to both buy and maintain

3 cons:
1: Too common (opinion)
2: If you have a family, back seats are only for short trips

X benefits:
1: LOTS of storage
2: More power by a landslide
3: More Rare than a M3 because of the price
4: Better ride quality
5: Massive Windshield (opinion)

X cons:
1: MX is known to be known as a “wannabe mini van”
2: MX is generally more expensive to maintain

3 Pros:

1: Great daily driver
2: It is a Mini go kart with a good dose of power
3: Affordable to both buy and maintain

3 cons:
1: Too common (opinion)
2: If you have a family, back seats are only for short trips
X cons:
3. Old tech on pre-refresh

I'm not 100% sure about the specific changes over time with the Model X each year, but the 2023 Non-Plaid Model X 7-seater on 22" we had for a week was much louder and uncomfortable to sit in inside than a 2021 Performance Model 3 with the 20" Uberturbines.

The loudness wasn't road noise coming through the tires, it was an ear-piercing whine of the motors under moderate to heavy acceleration.

Like, if you goose the Performance 3, it's kind of loud and goes "wheeeeeeee". But the X feels like it's kicking eardrums and causes complaining. So, with folks in the Model X, I couldn't go over 50% throttle. I wonder if this is like the yanni/laurel thing. Because I didn't really notice the high pitch motor sounds while other passengers did.

We have both a 2023 3 and a 2022 X.
I'm not 100% sure about the specific changes over time with the Model X each year, but the 2023 Non-Plaid Model X 7-seater on 22" we had for a week was much louder and uncomfortable to sit in inside than a 2021 Performance Model 3 with the 20" Uberturbines.

The loudness wasn't road noise coming through the tires, it was an ear-piercing whine of the motors under moderate to heavy acceleration.

Like, if you goose the Performance 3, it's kind of loud and goes "wheeeeeeee". But the X feels like it's kicking eardrums and causes complaining. So, with folks in the Model X, I couldn't go over 50% throttle. I wonder if this is like the yanni/laurel thing. Because I didn't really notice the high pitch motor sounds while other passengers did.
Strange my 2022 X does not make motor noise. But I have a regular one, not a 3 motor plaid.

Our 2023 LR is pretty silent from a motor standpoint.

A 3 motor Model X Plaid will out handle a 3 performance in almost every condition.

The 3 may feel more nimble, because it is smaller, it parks easier, sits lower to the ground, and lighter. Model X Plaid will accelerate faster, generate higher G forces, get around a race track (except autocross) faster, have higher top speeds etc. The torque vectoring will get you off corners much faster as well.

X has amazingly capable adaptable air suspension. Gives you upgraded handling when you want and a smoother, quieter ride when you wish. It automatically raised up when going over broken pavement, then lowers again when the pavement smooths out. It can remember to raise up when going over steep driveways with GPS memory. It self levels to keep headlights level when carrying extra passengers, cargo or towing a load.

Owners like it as the hatch back design offers more than double the carrying capacity, especially for larger items.

The X (and S) cost more, because they offer more. Stronger motors, stronger brakes, more powerful, quieter, automatic noise dampening, better visibility, larger tires, carry more, tow more, all aluminum construction, seating for up to 7, command seating position, easier entry/exit, Sony atmos sound system, larger batteries, greater range, higher top speeds, better performance at higher speeds, etc.

You will never see American Astronauts shuttled to their Rocket Space Ships in a humble model 3 :)

I understand the value proposition for the cheaper Model 3, but for those of us with profitable businesses, the tax savings make the net costs for 3 or X about the same.

I really noticed the whine in the MS test drive I did. Not so much in the X. Model 3 is quiet in comparison. I was wondering if it was an artificial noise, or natural.