Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Model 3 TPMS sensors are junk

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I installed the 12.1.1 update on my car, and the TPMS reset works! Just to experiment, I tried setting the pressures at the Elon Musk suggested 39 PSI. It showed up as 36 PSI on three of the tires and 37 PSI on the fourth. After driving for about 10 or 15 minutes, the low tire pressure warning came on. All the tires were now showing 37 PSI; it was fairly cool when I did this last night, so the tires warming up didn't change the pressures much. I then parked and did the TPMS reset on the Service Menu, following the directions, and started driving. Less than a minute after I started driving the screen said that the new pressures were now the norm, but it still showed the low pressure warning. I drove another 10 or 15 minutes back home with no change. After I got home, I let the car lock itself, then I got back in, turned it on, and the TPMS warning was gone. My guess is that I probably didn't need to drive the extra 10 or 15 minutes after doing the TPMS reset to make the low pressure warning go away. I think if I had just turned the car off and back on, it probably would have eliminated the low pressure warning message.

I'm very happy with this change! :)

I'm a little surprised you haven't gotten it yet. On Teslafi, over 83% of their respondents have either 12.1.1 or 12.1.2. I received 12.1.2 just a couple of days after 12.1.1.

I just got 12.1.2 finally yesterday and can confirm that the TPMS sensors are now running happily with my tire pressures set at 39 PSI actual (car shows 36).

The local service center told me a few months ago that this has been a major headache for them and owners at higher elevations so this is great news!

• Love
Reactions: mongo
I just got 12.1.2 finally yesterday and can confirm that the TPMS sensors are now running happily with my tire pressures set at 39 PSI actual (car shows 36).

The local service center told me a few months ago that this has been a major headache for them and owners at higher elevations so this is great news!
Congrats.

I just pulled the winter tires off and put the MXM4s back on. I like the handling better on my Sottozero 3s. The steering response is better, and I think they have more ultimate grip. It's a shame they'd get destroyed if I ran them all summer. :(

Sooo.... joy was short lived. My alarms came back for low pressure today, seems that the override only lasts about a week?

When I received my Model 3 it had over-inflated tires that my accu-gage showed at 49-50psi. I dropped tire pressure on all 4 wheels to 42 psi (again per my accu-gage).

Now that temps are getting colder, TPMS sensors are tripping alarms in the cockpit. TPMS sensors showed that all four wheels were between 37-39psi. I put my gage on and it shows that they are at 42-43 psi. So, I aired them up to 45 psi (per my gage) and the vehicle is now reading them at 39-40 and still shows them in alarm.

A couple of points here;

1. There should be a way of calibrating the TPMS sensors if they are clearly off by a substantial amount from real world measurements.
2. The low pressure threshold throwing warning alarms at *gasp* 39 psi is absurd. Especially considering that this is OVER the tire pressure that many TRUCKS run at that weigh substantially more than Model 3.
3. The extremely high tire pressure is probably good for squeezing out a bit more efficiency, but it's laughable that Tesla is forcing this with super high TPMS thresholds when they also offer 19 and 20 inch factory rims that have a far bigger impact on efficiency then choosing to run the tires at 40-42 psi to improve the ride characteristics (harshness) that come with super high tire pressures.

I have a professional gauge that is much more accurate then accu-gage being manually precision calibrated to +- 0.1 psi and it reads exactly what the onboard sensors report. it could be your gauge.

• Disagree
Reactions: voip-ninja
I have a professional gauge that is much more accurate then accu-gage being manually precision calibrated to +- 0.1 psi and it reads exactly what the onboard sensors report. it could be your gauge.
This has been discussed repeatedly around here. It's not his gauge; it's the altitude he lives at. The TPMS sensors showing a lower pressure than an accurate gauge occurs to all of us who live at altitude, and the difference is in line with the difference in air pressure due to altitude.

This has been discussed repeatedly around here. It's not his gauge; it's the altitude he lives at. The TPMS sensors showing a lower pressure than an accurate gauge occurs to all of us who live at altitude, and the difference is in line with the difference in air pressure due to altitude.
It is interesting though that, if they are located in Decatur at 1,000 ft ASL, they should have a 0.5 psi offset and yet their gauge reads spot on.

Doh!
No intervening software update or system reset?
Profile linked maybe?

No intervening update or reset, no profile linked issue as I'm the only one who drives the car and it has been in my profile for weeks.

It seems to have occurred at exactly the one week mark so I'm suspicious that the TPMS override is on a timer, which if true, sucks. Hopefully Tesla will address.

• Informative
Reactions: mongo
No intervening update or reset, no profile linked issue as I'm the only one who drives the car and it has been in my profile for weeks.

It seems to have occurred at exactly the one week mark so I'm suspicious that the TPMS override is on a timer, which if true, sucks. Hopefully Tesla will address.
Sounds like a test is in order. Do the TPMS reset again, and see if it goes out in a week. It's always good to see if the results are repeatable. If so, that would be disappointing.

I haven't had the tire pressure warning go off since I did the reset on mine, but I also switched from my winter tires that I was running at 39 PSI to the stock tires for summer which I'm running at 42 PSI. The winter tires were on for only a few days before the switch. At 42 PSI, the TPMS shows 39 PSI cold which in my car seemed to be above the PSI that set off the warning prior to the TPMS reset. I'll let them go down 1 or 2 PSI over time to see if the warning pops back up.

Regarding tire pressures, on my winter Sottozero 3s, the overall ride handling combination seemed to be best around 39 PSI. The steering response stayed excellent and bump absorption seemed slightly improved over higher pressures. With the stock Primacy MXM4s, steering response suffers notably at 39 PSI and the car feels squishy. At 42 PSI, the handling is much better, almost as good as the Sottozero 3s. At 45 PSI, there doesn't seem to be any benefit to handling and sharp impacts like expansion joints feel noticeably stronger in the car.

Last edited:
Reactions: voip-ninja