Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Model 3 Trailer Hitch Wiring Plug?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
317C3C67-7AC0-4327-9B82-B6723E5E61C1.jpeg
5DEB75C9-570A-4FF6-9A19-33C576DBA74A.jpeg

Attachments

• B7F7CAB9-033E-4FE3-BEE5-AA87F0E2BA24.jpeg
    B7F7CAB9-033E-4FE3-BEE5-AA87F0E2BA24.jpeg
    296 KB · Views: 504
Reactions: golfleep and KenC
I'm hoping someone will be able to answer this line . . . I bought and installed the ecohitch on my 2019 3, and that installation couldn't have been easier. The lights, though, have been a nightmare. I bought the zero contact kit and installed it, and despite hooking it up properly to the car's 12v battery (as evidenced by a probe inserted into the butt joint outside of the box) there is no power to the flat 4 connector. The zci attachments are essentially idiot proof to install, just clamp them around the appropriate wire, and the box is receiving power, but no output. If anyone has any advice, I would really appreciate it. I contacted the company and they thought it might be a bad box and sent me another one, but that one didn't work either. I'm considering eating the cost of the expensive zci set up and ordering the one that taps directly into the wires. Thoughts?
As an aside, I do believe that when we try to make something idiot proof, nature builds a better idiot!

Also, when I tested the wiring harness like Pjschae found, I found that there was a hot line coming in, but nothing seemed to change when I activated the turn signals. (I couldn't check the brake and test the connector at the same time because I was alone!)

I am trying to figure out the purpose of the plug under the bumper. Theoretically it's for a trailer for towing, but then it should be a standard trailer plug used by the industry and not a proprietary one that nobody can use whatsoever?

What do people in UK do that ordered the model 3 with the tow hitch? I can't find an adapter that fits this... nothing in the tesla store or other.

Finally got my Tekonsha Modulite ZCI installed and it works fine - so far. My 3 had the grey plug but I did not route it down far enough when I installed the hitch, so I could not use it as a power source after the fact. Make sure to run a long enough wire from this plug or route it down further if you don't wire the harness when installing the hitch. It would save a ton of time and effort. I ended up using the orange wire in VC left which some have said is the one that actually runs to the grey plug.

I recently installed the EcoHitch from Torklift on my 2020 M3. Install went smoothly (helps having a lift ;-) and the trailer lights even smoother. I used this adapter available from a private vendor on eBay: Tesla Model 3 Trailer Digital Wiring Module (Trailer Hitch Lights Connector) | eBay

Very slick, plugs right into the Telsa factory plug noted above for OE trailer light harness. This module is as plug-and-play as it gets, requires no cutting/jumping/running wires and module is contained in a sealed housing. I tucked it behind the bumper crash bar and mounted it there with zip ties.

Has anyone used that plug to power their wiring harness - instead of going to the battery or hooking to the power under the back seat? I'm going to install the Tekonsha Modulite tomorrow.

Attachments

• 28501197-D6FA-4302-A244-BD6B605688E8.jpeg
    28501197-D6FA-4302-A244-BD6B605688E8.jpeg
    484.8 KB · Views: 356
  • B04FF04C-FF34-402E-A99D-6F64D2F41379.png
    B04FF04C-FF34-402E-A99D-6F64D2F41379.png
    3.2 MB · Views: 362
  • E6E11037-B99A-4D4E-9C1E-AD542A2BF55B.png
    E6E11037-B99A-4D4E-9C1E-AD542A2BF55B.png
    3.2 MB · Views: 381
I recently installed the EcoHitch from Torklift on my 2020 M3. Install went smoothly (helps having a lift ;-) and the trailer lights even smoother. I used this adapter available from a private vendor on eBay: Tesla Model 3 Trailer Digital Wiring Module (Trailer Hitch Lights Connector) | eBay

Very slick, plugs right into the Telsa factory plug noted above for OE trailer light harness. This module is as plug-and-play as it gets, requires no cutting/jumping/running wires and module is contained in a sealed housing. I tucked it behind the bumper crash bar and mounted it there with zip ties.

That looks super slick, but $400... yikes!

Reactions: Watts 4 Me
Only the best for me lady :).... JK! I've installed several trailer wiring harnesses in different rigs over the years and have never been happy with the fit and finish of standard generic off the shelf trailer wiring solutions. There are trade-offs with all things and quality and longevity are often the first things to be left out when using that type of generic trailer stuff. This adapter is on a different level, more like an OE solution to the problem of wiring your new Tesla for trailer lights. Out of curiosity, does anyone know how much the trailer hitch/wiring option costs on the European M3s??

Do you think a March build 2020 would have this 3 pin wiring harness?