Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Model 3 turn signal inconsistency - pain

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Probably Joe Mode makes the turn signal ticking very quiet, I don't really notice it either. But I consider Joe Mode essential for taming other sounds.

The core issue is there's no physical feedback that you've given the stalk the input you intended, and there's no physical indication as to its status, have to look at the screen. And its status changes without any physical feedback like how a traditional turn stalk returns to center only when no longer indicating.

Reactions: XPsionic
Does this flaw affect all years of 3's and Y's? I've been wondering this for years and asked on multiple threads but people never understand the question.

Has anyone ever seen a Model 3/Y with a turn signal that responds in any way (triple, latched, cancel) to a brief input? Like if you tap it part way or all the way past the detent, then let it go - soon - does anything happen? Can you get it to blink at all? Or if it's already blinking can you make it stop?

Does your car not do as displayed in these videos @Gauss Guzzler ? That's how mine works exactly
He's talking about something else, he's talking about a very rapid flick of the turn signal, such that it doesn't register at all (no matter how far in the detent). Those of us that don't flick the turn signal in that way will never experience it. I believe there was some other thread where there was a video of this.

Correct. Those Tesla factory videos show people pressing the signal and holding it for a long time. Can anyone verify that their signal works if it's not held for a while?

I'm not talking some Chuck Norris chop. Just casually press the signal like a normal person and then let it go, soon. Really soon. Don't sit around and wait for it to finally start working, just press it, however far, then let go. Does it work?

Has anyone ever been able to accomplish this with any year or model?

I should note the left/right back to back inconsistency described by the OP I have noticed myself. There is a turn I take regularly that is a left turn, then immediately after the turn I have to move over to the lane in the right. If I try to do a back to back indication, it will sometimes work and sometimes not. Given the lane for the left turn is a left turn only lane, I have resorted to not indicating for that, and only indicating for lane change (which is more important as I am actively changing lanes).

But given the OP's point about it having to do with the wheel being straight (makes sense, given that interacts with the auto signal cancel logic), I think a strategy of canceling the left turn signal first immediately before turning, and than activating the right turn signal probably will work. I will try doing that in the future and see if it results in a consistent signal.

Hi,
Until this latest update - with my M3P - a light tap of the indicator stalk would get you three blinks of that direction (along with the camera image on the screen).
I used this more often for quick overtakes on the motorway - as a full press was often hard to cancel - you end up pushing too hard and causing the indicator to change to the other direction!
Occasionally a quick press would not actually register and no blinking occurred!
I always assumed this was to do with the polling frequency of the switches by the multiplexed electrical system.
After latest update - if you activate “Auto cancelling” in the settings menu - the light tap option is now not available.
A light tap will see the indicators remain on - unless you move lanes or manually switch them off.
We always have Joe mode on - as the boings are just too loud.
For this reason - I have never heard any noises from the indicator system!
Cheers
Steve

Correct. Those Tesla factory videos show people pressing the signal and holding it for a long time. Can anyone verify that their signal works if it's not held for a while?

I'm not talking some Chuck Norris chop. Just casually press the signal like a normal person and then let it go, soon. Really soon. Don't sit around and wait for it to finally start working, just press it, however far, then let go. Does it work?
If you look at the reddit video, for the ones that worked, the person does press it like a "normal person" with no noticeable purposeful pause. I think the issue is the speed at which people press the stalk varies. So pressing it "normally" for one person (without purposefully waiting for it) may have the stalk work perfectly, for others their "normal" press is much more rapid and thus will be inconsistent. The people in the former crowd likely will have to do something very unusual to be able to achieve the same speed (like the chop in the video).

Reactions: XPsionic
Yes for like 15 years but they have now gone back to “regular” turn signal stalks. But I’ve never had a problem with them in my BMW like you’re showing. In a BMW the second detent always activates that sides signal. The first detent either cancels the current signal (no matter which side is blinking) or initiates the single/triple blinker if no signal is currently on.

It seems Tesla may have programmed some “logic” into it where if the wheel is turned it assumes you’re trying to cancel the signal instead of signal the other direction?

Looks like if you hold it then it forces the left turn signal. Or you can try double pressing it to signal the opposite way…one to cancel the right signal and then again to signal left.

the trick in the bmws was to turn the 3s turnsignal off, then they worked ok. Wish theyd have the same option on the tesla.
That said I found a few tricks i.e. in roundabouts to fastswitch from left to right turnsignal you can tip the stalk in the opposite direction and then directly after pull it all the way again in the same direction and hold it there for a couple of seconds. Seems to work well.

• Informative
Reactions: tm1v2
Do you all - other M3 owners - have the same weird inconsistent behavior with your turn signal indicator, or is it just a fault of my car?

Scenario:
1) you indicate a RIGHT turn (knob fully up), you turn right but you need to turn LEFT immediately after your left turn
2) so immediately after finishing the right-turn maneuver (the steering wheel is likely to be still moving) you try to indicate LEFT (knob fully down)

Expected behavior:
- the car should indicate left

What happens?
- sometimes it does, mostly it does not

I created a test-case in my garage and recorded a YT video. It's clear that the behavior is somewhat consistent when the steering wheel is in a straight position and it's very inconsistent when it's turned to the side.

This is driving me crazy, I'm literally stressed and angry on my car because of this, it's so dangerous to turn without indicating and it's also dangerous to continuously check the center console to see IF the turn signal is active. Is it just me?
I pass the lever to neutral then indicate anew; often with short turns just lightly rest the lever up or down with a finger; it is an electronic system, not purely mechanical...