Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Model 3 VIN Motor/Drive Unit

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
In July I was allocated a LR M3 with a VIN starting with LRW3F7EB but I deferred delivery until Sep, so this vehicle was de-allocated. I have now been allocated a new vehicle with a VIN LRW3F7EK. I have not been able to find any details as to what the difference is between the B and K Motor/Drive Units. Does anyone know what the difference might be? I had read somewhere that there were motors either made in the US or China which might be an explanation. I'd be interested in anyone else's thoughts.

In July I was allocated a LR M3 with a VIN starting with LRW3F7EB but I deferred delivery until Sep, so this vehicle was de-allocated. I have now been allocated a new vehicle with a VIN LRW3F7EK. I have not been able to find any details as to what the difference is between the B and K Motor/Drive Units. Does anyone know what the difference might be? I had read somewhere that there were motors either made in the US or China which might be an explanation. I'd be interested in anyone else's thoughts.
It appears there are some cars with slightly larger battery packs being produced across the range.

Ah good. So we get an extra 18kW or 24HP from the rear motor. Nice! Plus a boost of 5.7% in total torque. Very good!
Assuming that's what the B vs. K means. If that is the case, the extra power and torque may not be unlocked unless the speed boost option is purchased; who knows? If it's anything like the LR we test drove earlier in the year I'll be happy either way. 😁

Reactions: doggy1