Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Model 3 vs. Prius Touring 4

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Hello all,
I tried the search function, but, nothing has turned up. I'm curious what the charging requirements are for the Model 3. I currently drive a Prius Touring 4 and I'm curious about the operating costs. For me, I can go 450 miles for about 8.5 gallons of gas. Here in Texas we are paying around $2.2, so $18.7. I have a 15.39 kWp solar system on the house, so I can defer some of the charging costs, however, I'm still curious how much energy is required to go 450 miles.

Any help will be greatly appreciated. As I'm debating if I want to put a deposit down on one or not.

Thanks.

This is what I got:

7585943872_IMG_0193.JPG

• Informative
  • Helpful
Reactions: GSP and Pkmmte
Last time I looked I was getting 228 wh/m with about 700 miles on the clock. That's mostly rush hour traffic driving.

So 228 wh/m * 450 miles = 102,600 w/h = 102.6 kwh. Doesn't account for charging inefficiency so it'll be a bit more from your system.

I pay 11 cents I think and don't have solar, so that trip would cost me a bit less than $12.

Hello all,
I tried the search function, but, nothing has turned up. I'm curious what the charging requirements are for the Model 3. I currently drive a Prius Touring 4 and I'm curious about the operating costs. For me, I can go 450 miles for about 8.5 gallons of gas. Here in Texas we are paying around $2.2, so $18.7. I have a 15.39 kWp solar system on the house, so I can defer some of the charging costs, however, I'm still curious how much energy is required to go 450 miles.

Any help will be greatly appreciated. As I'm debating if I want to put a deposit down on one or not.

Thanks.
Agreed. Even if you charge for free -- the overall costs are going to be higher (in my opinion, coming from a past Prius lover and current Model S owner). Plus your insurance will likely go up a decent amount.

Hello all,

Thanks.

Think 4 miles per kWh or 250 Wh per mile so 450 miles is about 113 kWh. It's not exact but it's good enough for napkin math and will still give you a reasonably accurate answer.

Cost per mile I was paying ~4 cents per mile on the Prius and I'm paying ~2 cents per mile on the Leaf. The Model 3 will have similar effeciency and cost per mile as the Leaf but a much higher cost to buy one.

So if you can stomach the short range the cheap option is sell the prius, get a leaf.

If you can't then buy a Tesla but know you'll never save money with the Tesla vs the Leaf. And vs the Prius you'll have to save tens of thousands of dollars vs gas over the years you drive the Model 3 just to come close to offsetting a purchase price.

That said I still plan to get a Model 3 at some point. I just don't expect it to reduce my cost for driving.

Costs right off the top of my head is
+Charging infrastructure (you might have it already)
+Insurance

No it won't reduce the cost but it will make it more fun.

It's an amusement park ride every time foot is on accelerator.

I was thinking

+Purchase Price
+Insurance
+More expensive tires eventually

I already have the charging infrastructure (14-50 and openevse charging 2 EVs in my garage, only need a couple of hours a day to charge both). Efficiency for the Model 3 vs one of my Leafs is practically a wash.

I'll be avoiding Chademo and Supercharging as I can charge at home or work cheaper. There are some random free L2 stations but I'd probably never use them, I hardly ever do now.

Last edited:
Reactions: MXWing
From threads on long-term usage (of Teslas other than the Model 3, obviously), I would say the average energy usage is roughly 15% above rated consumption, though of course it varies widely by driving style, terrain, etc. OP is in Texas, so given average driving should see better than average consumption. Then add on 10% for charging inefficiencies (I would have said 15% years ago, but it sounds like Tesla has been improving - though I haven't seen any specific Model 3 numbers).

While not what the OP asked, here is my general take (similar to others above) when somebody compares the costs of a Tesla to a car that is not really comparable:

Those serious about saving the most money possible will look at bicycles and the bus (plus maybe an occasional rental/car share/taxi). If you really need a car (or are just willing to pay extra to have one) then buy used. No sense looking at new cars if cheap transportation is your primary criteria.

A Tesla is not the cheapest possible transportation. But for the overall quality of transportation it provides, it is a bargain.

Reactions: GSP
It's NOT about the cost of driving. But you'll figure that out later.....

No. Tesla ownership is something else.

Even though they have 4 wheels, Tesla's are an entirely different species of vehicle with different pros and cons than anything else.

It's not like an Accord vs a Camry where few things separate them.

I've said it elsewhere but:

My wife went from a Honda Accord to a Model X. She says she never ever imagined in her life she would spend that much on a car. But she said it was worth every penny.

When you have that kind of experience, you are not going to downgrade to a MDX, Q5, Infinity, Volvo or whatever.

I could care less but 75% of my downvotes are from the Model 3 forum. People who never owned a Tesla nor ever intend to own one but seemingly knows everything about economics, finance and how the company and car works.

From threads on long-term usage (of Teslas other than the Model 3, obviously), I would say the average energy usage is roughly 15% above rated consumption, though of course it varies widely by driving style, terrain, etc. OP is in Texas, so given average driving should see better than average consumption. Then add on 10% for charging inefficiencies (I would have said 15% years ago, but it sounds like Tesla has been improving - though I haven't seen any specific Model 3 numbers.

2017 Tesla Model 3 Long-Term Road Test - New Updates

Edmunds is 2 months into their long-term test drive. In their first monthly report they reported 302 Wh/mi measured from the charger vs 251.7 Wh/mi on the display for a 20% charging overhead.

In their 2nd monthly report they didn't report the in-car displayed energy consumption, but the "lifetime" average consumption rose to 309 Wh/mi. 14% over EPA ratings.

They don't give enough details of how it was driven to make any grand conclusions from these numbers, but they're nonetheless discouraging. And it's being driven in relatively warm LA, so cold can't be used as an excuse.

In contrast, they're beating EPA ratings in their Bolt's long-term test drive. It might not apples-to-apples if they're being driven substantially differently. But still...

• Informative
Reactions: dhrivnak and GSP

Edmunds is 2 months into their long-term test drive. In their first monthly report they reported 302 Wh/mi measured from the charger vs 251.7 Wh/mi on the display for a 20% charging overhead.

In their 2nd monthly report they didn't report the in-car displayed energy consumption, but the "lifetime" average consumption rose to 309 Wh/mi. 14% over EPA ratings.

They don't give enough details of how it was driven to make any grand conclusions from these numbers, but they're nonetheless discouraging. And it's being driven in relatively warm LA, so cold can't be used as an excuse.

In contrast, they're beating EPA ratings in their Bolt's long-term test drive. It might not apples-to-apples if they're being driven substantially differently. But still...

That’s super fishy. Know someone with over 8,000 miles on their 3 and average is 233. Saw a poster just a few days ago said they averaged 224 or some such on a big trip.

It has been colder than normal actually. Another key difference is running with 19 inch sport wheels vs the 18 inch Aeros. I've read posts saying that's a 5-6% difference (someone please correct me if there is solid data confirm/denying this)

Lastly, when you owned a nice ICE you didn't really think too much about premium vs unleaded. It shouldn't break anyones budget being 10-14% over on energy expenditure and some of that chalked up to sport wheels.

It has been colder than normal actually.

Not according to online temp records. Jan was well above average. Feb was only 0.5F below average. On balance the covered months were warner than normal.

Weather History for Los Angeles Downtown, CA | Weather Underground

Regardless, it's f'ing LA. Even the dead of the winter is relatively balmy.

And they're driving their Bolt in the same area and it beat its EPA rating in February.

Another key difference is running with 19 inch sport wheels vs the 18 inch Aeros. I've read posts saying that's a 5-6% difference (someone please correct me if there is solid data confirm/denying this)

The Edmunds car has aeros, but they swapped on 19's temporarily in Feb to do some comparison testing. So thus far it's probably about a 50/50 split between the two wheels. (The reported average fuel consumption went up from 302 Wh/mi at the end of Jan to 309 at the end of Feb.)

Last edited:
That’s super fishy. Know someone with over 8,000 miles on their 3 and average is 233. Saw a poster just a few days ago said they averaged 224 or some such on a big trip.

233 or 244 Wh/mi (battery output) is not that different than Edmunds reported 251.7 Wh/mi. Driving style, terrain, wind, tire type, tire pressure, weight carried, and temperature add up to big differences in energy consumed per mile.

However, Edmunds 20% loss from charger input to battery output does seem high. It will be interesting to see if others replicate this result, or not.

GSP

Having owned a Prius and now a Model 3 they are VERY different cars. The Prius was solid and got us from point a to point B with no issues. But it had no soul.

The model 3 should be half the cost per mile than the Prius for fuel. But as other noted it is doubtful you will be driving it for the 53 years I project for break even on the fuel.

But while the Prius was uninspiring to drive the Model 3 is Awesome. Hard to put a value on that.