Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Model 3: What type of charge connection?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Does anybody know what the first version of Model 3 charge connection will be? Will it be compatible with the wall connector used for Model S & Model X? Here's the TMC thread discussing the latest version of that: New Wall Connector :)

I am guessing here, but since the SuperCharger network uses the same connector right now, I presume the wall connector above should also be compatible with Model 3, for now. I also presume that any upgrades offered to that (such as a more capable receptacle and/or plug) will have backwards compatibility converters provided.

The connector on the new wall connector is not new. Only some of the electronics in the box changed, so that it be used in connection with other new wall connectors, and the design of the box changed so you can store the connector in the side of it when not in use, instead of a separate cable holder. But all Tesla connectors (the part that goes in Tesla vehicles) are the same -- well, except for the Roadster.

The Model 3 will use the same connector since it is Supercharger compatible and it will be compatible with the UMC, HPWC, Superchargers, and CHAdeMO adapter, although you may have to pay to enable supercharging in order for the CHAdeMO to work.

Last edited:
  • Helpful
Reactions: Ulmo
I can't see any other scenario than all Tesla (passenger) vehicles using the same charger connection. They've already sold more than 100,000+ cars, installed thousands of SuperChargers, sold HPWCs and collaborated for destination chargers all with that exact charger connection.

We haven't seen anything official, but I can't imagine that Tesla will change the inlets they're using - the Tesla unique one in one phase markets and the modified type 2 in three phase markets.

Doing anything else would greatly increase their logistics challenges and force them to rework hundreds of Superchargers.

Note that the AC signalling is the same in all cases - Every modern EV I know of uses the same communication standard for pilot and proximity pins communicating allowable amperage, just with different physical plugs. If Tesla did change something, they'd surely release adapters for that.

Last edited:
Does anybody know what the first version of Model 3 charge connection will be?
I can't speak for the US/NA market, but I hope that they deliver the Type2/CCS connector here in Europe. As TMS/X and the SuperCharger/HPWC here all uses a Type2 compatible plug/connector it will not be a problem as long as the TM3 CCS connector is made compatible with both Type2, Tesla "Type2" supercharger and CCS.

If I remember correct Elon has said that there will be CCS connectors at the supercharges in the future. I'm not sure if that was only for Europe or also elsewhere.

While I can't imagine the connector itself being changed, back at the end of October I was considering purchasing the HPWC but decided to ask Tesla, and here's what the response was as to whether I should proceed at that time:

"Hi N,

I would recommend waiting to hear more about the charging specs. I hope you are as excited as I am to learn more!

Best,

<Inside Sales Advisor name, etc>"

So while I was somewhat puzzled at this, I have held off buying the HPWC. Obviously one cannot know if the ISA knew of important changes coming or just thought it best to be cautious or what...

Some of us are hoping they do release a CCS Combo charger adapter.
Yes. I'm in Australia, and most EV's here use the J1772 plug, even though it doesn't support 3 phase charging (everywhere here). Tesla use the type 2 socket thankfully, but it would be great if the model 3 has type 2 CCS, or even an adaptor. The socket is a bit uglier and bigger, which poses a design challenge, but a CCS port would still be compatible with existing supercharger infrastructure, while futureproofing the car for the inevitable non tesla DC charging infrastructure.

Of course, having the biggest EV player put a nail in J1772 (in Australia) would be welcome too.

I can't imagine the U.S. market needing anything different to what is on the model S/X.

Reactions: Red Sage
Will a Tesla let you drive away with your Aunt Joyce's arm stuck in the rear window, with the majority of Aunt Joyce's body not in the car? Asking for a relative.
Only if Aunt Joyce is barefoot, or wearing a bikini. If she's in shoes, or flip-flop sandals, the car will not function as a matter of course. :p

Will a Tesla let you drive away with it partially plugged in but not enough to make contact? (i.e. with the charging door open and it partially inserted).
Doesn't matter at that point, because if it isn't making contact, it isn't locked into place. There's this thing called 'gravity' you see, and the plug will fall away from the port. :D

[ AMPLE WARNING NOTICE: All of Red Sage's posts on the internet are Closed Captioned for the Humour Impaired. If you did not get it, that's OK, you probably weren't meant to. And that makes it even funnier. ]​

• Funny
Reactions: JeffK
Only if Aunt Joyce is barefoot, or wearing a bikini. If she's in shoes, or flip-flop sandals, the car will not function as a matter of course. :p

Doesn't matter at that point, because if it isn't making contact, it isn't locked into place. There's this thing called 'gravity' you see, and the plug will fall away from the port. :D

[ AMPLE WARNING NOTICE: All of Red Sage's posts on the internet are Closed Captioned for the Humour Impaired. If you did not get it, that's OK, you probably weren't meant to. And that makes it even funnier. ]​
I'm definitely going to steal that ample warning notice :D