TMC is an independent, primarily volunteer organization that relies on ad revenue to cover its operating costs. Please consider whitelisting TMC on your ad blocker or making a Paypal contribution here: paypal.me/SupportTMC

New Wall Connector :)

Discussion in 'Charging Standards and Infrastructure' started by pluginx007, Apr 12, 2016.

1. pluginx007

pluginx007 MXCar :)

#1 pluginx007, Apr 12, 2016
    Last edited by a moderator: Apr 13, 2016
    I just got an email regarding the wall connector and they seem to hav e updated the look and design.

Screen Shot 2016-04-12 at 8.56.18 AM.png

2. glhs272

glhs272 Unnamed plug faced villian

Any other details? Did the cable length get shorter?

3. pluginx007

Cable length
    8.5' (2.6 m) and 24' (7.4 m)

Dimensions :
    Height: 15.0" (380 mm)
    Width: 6.3" (160 mm)
    Depth: 5.5" (140 mm)

The inside has less wires and has an option to link multiple chargers together - I am not sure if the older one did.

4. McManX

McManX Member

Is it available yet? Can we see the rest of the email?

5. SabrToothSqrl

SabrToothSqrl Active Member

so 8' instead of 25'. Hopefully it comes down a bit in price. I'd drop $500 on one...

6. FlasherZ

FlasherZ Sig Model S + Sig Model X + Model 3 Resv

Yes - integrated cable storage on the right side, and a data bus that can connect multiple units together to share a circuit. One is designated master and contains the current settings, the others are designated slaves (up to 8). The units will take turns on the circuit. The old ones did not have the option to connect them together. It's currently shipping in Asia-Pacific as the three-phase unit.

It also now has the Model X 48A charging setting, as well, for a 60A circuit. Instead of DIP switches, there's now a rotary selection switch.

Another interesting feature is the ability for the WC to use the 277Y L-N voltage from a 480VAC three-phase feed. This is good because it means that Tesla could use Supercharger transformers to feed these as well.

• Informative x 11
    • Like x 1
    • Love x 1
  7. Canuck

Canuck Active Member

So is there now a choice of cable lengths? 8.5' is too short for many installations.

8. pluginx007

Should be available next week. My email is just the install manual.

Attached Files:

9. Skotty

Skotty 2014 Model S P85

Nice. I wonder if slaves can get partial power or if it waits until the master is fully charged. What if you plug a slave in first? Does master always get priority or is it first come priority like a supercharger? Regardless of how it operates, I like it.

• Like x 2
  10. MP3Mike

MP3Mike Active Member

The manual that someone posted says that you can only have 3 slaves for a total of 4 HPWCs sharing the same circuit.

11. Skotty

Skotty 2014 Model S P85

I saw that too. Don't think it will matter much though. I might just eat my hat if someone ever complains that they can't plug in their 5th Tesla at the same time as their other 4 on the same circuit.

• Funny x 9
    • Like x 1
  12. MP3Mike

MP3Mike Active Member

I wish the manual talked more about the Master/Slave relationship. But hopefully those details will come out once they put them up for sale.

13. Galve2000

Galve2000 Member

The Manual is silent on what kind of plug is attached to the new HPWC... presumably it is a North American variant and not a Europe/Asia/Middle East/Australia variant?

14. scaesare

scaesare Active Member

Interesting... this implies vehicle chargers accepting 277, which has long been understood to be able to work technically, but outside the spec.

15. loganintx

loganintx Member

here's a link to search the PDFs that tesla has on their site:
    You can just change the search term at the end for additional searching
    Google

16. brianman

brianman Burrito Founder

Flasher can you talk a little more about what you think or know (be clear on which...) re: master/slave relationship. For an owner with multiple cars, I presume this buys you the ability to have multiple cars plugged in (physically) and the chain of HPWCs connected to a single 100A circuit. Does this mean the HPWCs charge one car at a time (without "fiddling" with connectors)? Can you also "make it smart" such that you charge them at the same time -- say 70A + 10A?

17. bredi

bredi Member

What would have been really helpful and functional is a Wall Charger that had two connectors and two lengths (or both long). So that, you could plug two cars in and sequentially charge overnight on one charger and one circuit. Most of us don't deplete the battery daily,

Model S - charge 3 hours to full
    Model X - Start charging after Model S is done.

Actually, that would be nice at public stations too.
    Oh, and a Tesla to J1172 Adapter! ;)

• Like x 2
  18. Ulmo

Ulmo Active Member

#18 Ulmo, Apr 12, 2016
    Last edited: Apr 12, 2016
    FlasherZ,

If I remember correctly, in another thread at Free Destination Charging: 50x L2 80A Stations @ Caltech, Pasadena, CA , someone explained that a lot of parking lot lighting in USA is 277V (??); here's the quote:
    Would this allow for some lighting circuits to be augmented with these chargers? My first guess is no, since those parking lot lights are probably designed for particular loads, but if they exchanged those lamps with LED lamps, and/or pulled fresh large wires as McRat described (if the conduit allowed) would that allow for some circuits to have this most recent Tesla Wall Connector attached as McRat described?

19. FlatSix911

FlatSix911 918 Hybrid

Good idea ... I would suspect that Tesla was thinking along these lines.

20. K-MTG

K-MTG Sunshade Captain of TMC

I just had my WC installed last week (80Amps), is it worth replacing with the new one and having the electrician come over to reinstall and return the old one?