Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

New Wall Connector :)

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I just got an email regarding the wall connector and they seem to hav e updated the look and design.

Screen Shot 2016-04-12 at 8.56.18 AM.png

Last edited by a moderator:
Yes - integrated cable storage on the right side, and a data bus that can connect multiple units together to share a circuit. One is designated master and contains the current settings, the others are designated slaves (up to 8). The units will take turns on the circuit. The old ones did not have the option to connect them together. It's currently shipping in Asia-Pacific as the three-phase unit.

It also now has the Model X 48A charging setting, as well, for a 60A circuit. Instead of DIP switches, there's now a rotary selection switch.

Another interesting feature is the ability for the WC to use the 277Y L-N voltage from a 480VAC three-phase feed. This is good because it means that Tesla could use Supercharger transformers to feed these as well.

The manual that someone posted says that you can only have 3 slaves for a total of 4 HPWCs sharing the same circuit.
I saw that too. Don't think it will matter much though. I might just eat my hat if someone ever complains that they can't plug in their 5th Tesla at the same time as their other 4 on the same circuit.

Yes - integrated cable storage on the right side, and a data bus that can connect multiple units together to share a circuit. One is designated master and contains the current settings, the others are designated slaves (up to 8). The units will take turns on the circuit. The old ones did not have the option to connect them together. It's currently shipping in Asia-Pacific as the three-phase unit.

It also now has the Model X 48A charging setting, as well, for a 60A circuit. Instead of DIP switches, there's now a rotary selection switch.

Another interesting feature is the ability for the WC to use the 277Y L-N voltage from a 480VAC three-phase feed. This is good because it means that Tesla could use Supercharger transformers to feed these as well.

Interesting... this implies vehicle chargers accepting 277, which has long been understood to be able to work technically, but outside the spec.

Flasher can you talk a little more about what you think or know (be clear on which...) re: master/slave relationship. For an owner with multiple cars, I presume this buys you the ability to have multiple cars plugged in (physically) and the chain of HPWCs connected to a single 100A circuit. Does this mean the HPWCs charge one car at a time (without "fiddling" with connectors)? Can you also "make it smart" such that you charge them at the same time -- say 70A + 10A?

What would have been really helpful and functional is a Wall Charger that had two connectors and two lengths (or both long). So that, you could plug two cars in and sequentially charge overnight on one charger and one circuit. Most of us don't deplete the battery daily,

Model S - charge 3 hours to full
Model X - Start charging after Model S is done.

Actually, that would be nice at public stations too.
Oh, and a Tesla to J1172 Adapter! ;)

FlasherZ,

If I remember correctly, in another thread at Free Destination Charging: 50x L2 80A Stations @ Caltech, Pasadena, CA , someone explained that a lot of parking lot lighting in USA is 277V (??); here's the quote:
I'm a NFG when it comes to EV charging. But I do understand a just a little about how commercial building are wired. One really tragic thing about current (har) technology for cheap L2 charging is you cannot use your parking lot lighting or outdoors light as a source circuit for L2 installations, which is a crying shame. There is no 120V so L1 is not an option, you have just 277 available. How simple and cheap it would be to put a L2 low powered (6.6kW) if you have light poles in parking lots. Just pull heavier wire and install on the light pole. But they never thought about how the real world is wired when the specs for onboard chargers were established. This would give all EVs at least 100 miles during a work shift with very low (sub $1000) total parts costs. To "ICE" a light pole in a parking lot requires 4 cars to ICE it instead of 1 or 2, and the charger is protected.
Would this allow for some lighting circuits to be augmented with these chargers? My first guess is no, since those parking lot lights are probably designed for particular loads, but if they exchanged those lamps with LED lamps, and/or pulled fresh large wires as McRat described (if the conduit allowed) would that allow for some circuits to have this most recent Tesla Wall Connector attached as McRat described?

Last edited:
FlasherZ,

If I remember correctly, in another thread at Free Destination Charging: 50x L2 80A Stations @ Caltech, Pasadena, CA , someone explained that a lot of parking lot lighting in USA is 277V (??); would this allow for some lighting circuits to be augmented with these chargers? My first guess is no, since those parking lot lights are probably designed for particular loads, but if they exchanged those lamps with LED lamps, would that allow for some circuits to have a Tesla charger attached? Just a random thought.

Good idea ... I would suspect that Tesla was thinking along these lines.