Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Model 3 wheels for a model Y?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I’d appreciate some advice from those knowledgeable about wheels and tires.

Sometime this year we will hopefully become owners of a Tesla Y long range. I plan to buy a set of used rims for winter tires. Since the market for used Y rims is probably limited right now, would Model 3 rims work, 19” or possibly 18” (with a higher profile tire to get the same tire circumference). I’d get winter tires with the higher load rating for the Y.

I know the M3 wheels are 8.5” and 40 mm offset vs the MY wheel of 9.5” and 45 mm, but according to the wheel offset calculator site: Wheel Offset Calculator the wheels and tires should fit with only a slight outward shift of the wheel centerline. The winter tires would be 235 vs the 255 of the summer tires.

Does this make sense and if not please explain why not? As you can probably tell, I don’t care much about appearance, just whether they will work and be safe. This is after all for winters in Minnesota.

Just put my extra model 3 19" sport wheels (the silver ones, with all seasons, from a 2019 3) on my new Y; the old TPMS sensors didn't communicate with the Y. Tesla initially quoted >$900, then changed to >$600; Discount Tire just did it today for $500, with Tesla OEM TPMS sensors.

However, two problems: 1) there's no appropriate wheel to choose from in Service > Wheels & Tires, so choosing a Y 19" leads to the next problem: 2) the circumference of the tires is different so my indicated speed is ~10% above reality.

Anyone know how to fix this?

Thanks very much!
David

Just put my extra model 3 19" sport wheels (the silver ones, with all seasons, from a 2019 3) on my new Y; the old TPMS sensors didn't communicate with the Y. Tesla initially quoted >$900, then changed to >$600; Discount Tire just did it today for $500, with Tesla OEM TPMS sensors.

However, two problems: 1) there's no appropriate wheel to choose from in Service > Wheels & Tires, so choosing a Y 19" leads to the next problem: 2) the circumference of the tires is different so my indicated speed is ~10% above reality.

Anyone know how to fix this?

Thanks very much!
David

So Discount Tire quoted $500 to install new MY compatible TPMS sensors. The Tesla TPMS sensors are $300/4. Swapping an M3 Aero with an MY Gemini that'd be $200 for the labor. Is that right, translated into loonies?

So Discount Tire quoted $500 to install new MY compatible TPMS sensors. The Tesla TPMS sensors are $300/4. Swapping an M3 Aero with an MY Gemini that'd be $200 for the labor. Is that right, translated into loonies?
That would be an accurate estimate which would include dismounting, mounting and balancing the assemblies after installing the TPMS sensors for 19 inch wheels. Don't hesitate to send us a DM if you would like for us to assist you with the process.

Reactions: EVChris