Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Model 3 Wi-Fi and Bluetooth speeds and capabilities

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
What are the Model 3's Wi-Fi and Bluetooth modules capable of?

Model S and Model X are stuck with 2.4GHz 802.11g and Bluetooth 2.1 (I think). Here is to hoping that the Model 3 delivers more modern specifications. Any details on internal manufacturer, chipsets, and versions would be helpful too.

Reactions: Pkmmte
Looks like it will do 5GHZ. Here's a snapshot of my Model 3, Ruby, connected to my wifi:
tesla.jpg

What's interesting to me is that it wouldn't originally connect to my main SSID, Holly's Clowder. I suspect that either the space or the ' threw it off. It did see and connect to the IOT SSID I have, so all is well.

...and yes - for those nerdy enough to catch it - I did specify a static DHCP lease for it to have 192.168.1.3. :D

Looks like it will do 5GHZ. Here's a snapshot of my Model 3, Ruby, connected to my wifi:View attachment 314308

What's interesting to me is that it wouldn't originally connect to my main SSID, Holly's Clowder. I suspect that either the space or the ' threw it off. It did see and connect to the IOT SSID I have, so all is well.

...and yes - for those nerdy enough to catch it - I did specify a static DHCP lease for it to have 192.168.1.3. :D

Sweet, another Meraki user!

Yeah it's interesting that it's now 2x2 (which will also help with 2.4GHz throughput in general) and appears to support 802.11ac.

Reactions: Dave B
I'm totally digging that MX64/MR33/MS220-8P stack that I received for getting my CMNA.

I ended up getting my folks a Z1 and have a VPN set up from their place so I can get netflow from their home network. Between that, OpenDNS, and AMP I no longer get those "Dave, my computer isn't working" calls from Mom & Dad anymore.

Yeah me too! I used to be hardcore pfsense, then more of a Sophos UTM/XG person, and then I realized that I don't want to spend all of my non-work hours wrestling with that stuff. Got a MX65 to replace everything in my closet (unfortunately my work doesn't allow me to act in a capacity to receive free Cisco gear but oh well, not a big deal).

Definitely love the visibility and ease of administration. I'm also in the process of switching my parents over to Meraki as well to make it way easier to deal with tech support :D

(unfortunately my work doesn't allow me to act in a capacity to receive free Cisco gear but oh well, not a big deal).

Definitely love the visibility and ease of administration. I'm also in the process of switching my parents over to Meraki as well to make it way easier to deal with tech support :D

I was lucky enough to land a job with Cisco a few years ago, so getting free hardware & software just makes working for them that much more awesome. Hell - my profile pic is when I was lucky enough to get a tour of the Tesla factory before I had to give a client presentation that afternoon. I do so love when I have to travel to Cali.

...and you will not regret getting your folks onto Meraki. "My internet isn't working." "Hold on." *grabs phone, pulls up Meraki app, and reboots their device* "Try again" "It's working." "Great - talk to you later." haha