Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Does anything need to be changed software side to enable a DIY added OEM trailer wiring module for Model 3?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
thats my point. The tow bar isn’t there, its a separate ‘crash beam’ that gets removed and replaced with one with the necessary connections for a tow hitch. That same crash beam is on the 3 so why can’t they do the same? Heck thinking about it why go to the bother - why not just fit the original crash beam with mounting points for the tow hitch.

Can’t even be a homologation thing as you can pre-order with a tow hitch, just not retrofit so the models must be homologated for towing?

wonder if that’ll change for highland as they seem to be rumoured to be evolving how its built so presumably taking some lessons from Y among other things. So maybe it’ll be retrofittable then
In UK, there is a sticker that has a tow rating that apparently needs to be present on the car for police inspection (not just on tow bar). Perhaps every Y had that from factory, while not every 3 did? I'm not sure, maybe someone can post examples of stickers to compare.

The crash beam on the MY is exactly the same whether a tow hitch is fitted or not, there are 4 bolts at each end bolting directly into the mega casting, there is no such thing as one 'with the necessary connections for a tow hitch'. The existing beam is removed, the tow hitch is fitted using the same mounting points , then again the 'original' beam is re fitted over the top, i have personally done this.

The main difference between the M3 and MY is the rear mega casting, the tow hitch simply bolts to the face of the casting unlike a traditional tow hitch which would bolt to a chassis mounting point.

I suspect the M3 factory tow hitch installation has extra chassis strengthening which is why it cannot be retro fitted 'legally'.
As others mentioned the aftermarket kits are different from the OEM, so your experience with an aftermarket can't be applied to the OEM.

The OEM bar does not allow you to keep the rear crash beam, it is simply replaced by the trailer bar and must be discarded:

In UK, there is a sticker that has a tow rating that apparently needs to be present on the car for police inspection (not just on tow bar). Perhaps every Y had that from factory, while not every 3 did? I'm not sure, maybe someone can post examples of stickers to compare.
The VIN/weights sticker on the passenger side door sill tells you the weight limits of the car, including any towing capability. The M3 has a 0kg towing capability unless this is specced with the tow bar from the factory, in which case it has a 1000kg towing capability. All MYs have a 1600kg towing capability, whether or not the tow bar is specced from factory (it actually matters not, the tow bar is fitted at the SC, in any event).

I’m sure somebody must know why Tesla don’t register all M3s with towing capability, but this information certainly isn’t in the public domain.

So I asked Tesla to activate Trailer Mode in my gateway config as I bought all the electrical parts from them. Of course they said no, and their reason was there is no option in my car config to do so.

I didn't believe them as the person I spoke to didn't know what Toolbox was. So I decided to buy a service cable (£30 from Amazon), and a 1-hour subscription of Toolbox 3 (£40 from Tesla), to check for myself. I won't go into too much detail in the thread, but of the visible configuration items, a handful of them were unlocked for editing (I'm assuming the consumer version is restricted). One of the unlocked items was for Trailer Mode. I switched it to the only other setting apart from 'none', sent it to the car, and...

View attachment 962555
View attachment 962556

...hey presto!

It cost me roughly £450 to source the parts, fit it myself and activate Trailer Mode.

Happy to answer questions about Toolbox in DM's.
I would like to enable that Trailer Mode via the ToolBox 3 with my Computer and buy the one hour Access for that. Can anyone help me where to find it in the ToolBox 3 Software? Thanks a lot, Michael

So I asked Tesla to activate Trailer Mode in my gateway config as I bought all the electrical parts from them. Of course they said no, and their reason was there is no option in my car config to do so.

I didn't believe them as the person I spoke to didn't know what Toolbox was. So I decided to buy a service cable (£30 from Amazon), and a 1-hour subscription of Toolbox 3 (£40 from Tesla), to check for myself. I won't go into too much detail in the thread, but of the visible configuration items, a handful of them were unlocked for editing (I'm assuming the consumer version is restricted). One of the unlocked items was for Trailer Mode. I switched it to the only other setting apart from 'none', sent it to the car, and...

View attachment 962555
View attachment 962556

...hey presto!

It cost me roughly £450 to source the parts, fit it myself and activate Trailer Mode.

Happy to answer questions about Toolbox in DM's.

Out of interest what other options could you enable yourself in Toolbox, not talking about trailer mode.