Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Model 3 Windshield replacement $2300 and 2-3 days?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I got a huge crack in my windshield, requiring replacement. Tesla referred me to a certified local body shop here in CO. I have full glass coverage through my insurance company, so they're going to cut me a check for it, but I was kind of shocked to see the estimate come in at $2300 and will require the car for 2-3 days. Is that normal/typical? I get that there's a lot more tech involved in modern windshields and especially Teslas, and therefore higher labor costs, higher parts costs, etc., but even so this seems like a lot so I just wanted to get a sense of the going rate.

Thanks.

I got a huge crack in my windshield, requiring replacement. Tesla referred me to a certified local body shop here in CO. I have full glass coverage through my insurance company, so they're going to cut me a check for it, but I was kind of shocked to see the estimate come in at $2300 and will require the car for 2-3 days. Is that normal/typical? I get that there's a lot more tech involved in modern windshields and especially Teslas, and therefore higher labor costs, higher parts costs, etc., but even so this seems like a lot so I just wanted to get a sense of the going rate.

Thanks.
My shop did it in my garage in a couple of hours. These two guys really knew their s**t. They actually had stickers from all the Tesla glass they'd done stuck to the inside of one of the van doors, like badges of honor! And they were 1/2 the price your shop is charging you. Seems odd...

Thanks.
Yeah that seems way to high and way to long. If you can't do it trough Tesla, I heard Safelite was a company that Tesla recommended and was also way lower in price.

My 3 was had windshield replaced at Tesla service. They said it would take up to three days, but it took 1. Said it’s a scheduling issue getting the right people available as it’s a multi-person job.

no idea on cost, but sounds like body shop is taking advantage of the insurance company.

• Informative
Reactions: JayNJ and lUtriaNt
Had my windshield replaced at the Tesla SC in Renton Washington in early October. Dropped it off a 3 PM on a Tuesday afternoon, was ready Wednesday morning at 8 AM. Total cost was 1100 dollars. From my laymen’s eyes, looks well done. No extraneous noises, appears properly aligned, sealed etc.

My only gripes were dirty feet by technicians on my carpet, and residue on the roof glass from what appeared to be equivalent of clear shipping tape glue. Two strips, about four inches long, both sides. Removed with WD 40. Prolly used to hold windshield in place until glue or equivalent was complete. Five minutes of work to solve the issue.

Honestly i think they work 24 hours a day. The technician came and talked to me at 8 am (i had some warranty work done too). He made it sound like they are working late into the evening or early morning. I was impressed with the entire process, minus my two complaints.

only real gripe was USAA took three weeks to reimburse me. Usually they have that done in a day or two.

• Helpful
Reactions: lUtriaNt