Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Model 3 Windshield Replacement - Extra $600 charge to recalibrate?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Note
To calibrate, cameras require highly-visible lane markings in both the driving lane and adjacent lanes (at least two lanes over on each side of the vehicle). For best results, drive in the middle lane of a multi-lane highway (ideally with at least five lanes) that has clear lane markings and minimal traffic.

Not sure I’ve ever driven on a highway with 5 lanes going in the same direction.

Update. I'm good to go without going on highway. Tested AP too.

Spoke to another installer today who said TSLA was the only car that self calibrates, so a lot of installers push the ADAS service. He said to push back. I'll ignore/cancel the calibrate guy unless they try to bill USAA.

Reactions: father_of_6
Got windshield replaced this AM. Not sure if I need professional or just self calibrate using the menu. Just AP and don't need it everyday so I can wait. Guy said "insurance pays" but I don't want to jack up rates if it's EZ DIY and we have great lane marking around me too.

Now if I have HVAC issues I would, but he said they don't do that

Manual:
Ff a camera has shifted from its calibrated position (for example, the camera or windshield was replaced), you must clear the calibration. To do so, touch Controls > Service > Camera Calibration > Clear Calibration. When the calibration is cleared, Model 3 repeats the calibration process. While this helps re-calibrate the cameras in many cases, Clear Calibration may not resolve all camera and sensor concerns.

Note
To calibrate, cameras require highly-visible lane markings in both the driving lane and adjacent lanes (at least two lanes over on each side of the vehicle). For best results, drive in the middle lane of a multi-lane highway (ideally with at least five lanes) that has clear lane markings and minimal traffic.
Note
If you attempt to use a feature that is not available until the calibration process is complete, the feature is disabled and the touchscreen displays a message.
My local Tesla Service Center recalibrated my camera at no charge to me with 2 windshield replacements

Did they do anything more than DIY Calibrate button and drive it? I guess I could also take it in for rear harness recall or if I could get a loaner for a weekend to make it worthwhile
I don't know what process the service center used to recalibrate. But it worked fine following the visit. I was in for a tire leak and replacement, while there the service center replaced the rear harness at the same time. Total time in shop 1.5 hours.

Reactions: vickh
This was covered further up the thread, but the service manual does include a procedure involving visual targets, toolbox, and physical readjustment as necessary. If it's close enough the cameras probably will self-calibrate still, but there is a recommended procedure so it's not always just over zealous third party salesman.

This was covered further up the thread, but the service manual does include a procedure involving visual targets, toolbox, and physical readjustment as necessary. If it's close enough the cameras probably will self-calibrate still, but there is a recommended procedure so it's not always just over zealous third party salesman.

So if self-calibrate completes is the other procedure still necessary?

Note

Not sure I’ve ever driven on a highway with 5 lanes going in the same direction.
I think it does not even exist here in finland. Could be wrong but I haven't seen anything more then 3 lanes

I'm pleased with the results of visiting the Service Center for recalibration because there was no cost involved.

Fair enough. I don't pay anything with my claim either. Plus they come out to me. Not sure if TSLA rangers do this?

Recalibration co. called me again. they claim TSLA certification w/ Service mode computer sync that can adjust pitch etc. Also said that claim could be rejected w/o it. Might be cool to enter/ watch service mode and drive with. I asked him if he could unlock range on my SR Sold! ;)