Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Model 3 with 5 bikes

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Man, I can't see fitting a road bike inside for most adults. The height of the seat post makes it really difficult. The only videos I've found of people getting bikes inside are like 26" mtb or tiny road frames with seat post almost all the way down. If you're able to make it fit would be interested in knowing how! :)
I fit a 29er and a 27.5” in my Model 3 and only remove the front wheels. Both are hard tail Mountain bikes with 120mm and 100mm travel front forks. I leave the seat posts in their riding positions.
How: First the helmets and gear goes in the lower part of the trunk. Second goes in the 29er back wheel first kickstand up. Next goes in the 27.5” forks first. Last the front wheels sit on top of the bikes. Sorry, no pics.

• Helpful
Reactions: Andy7
Man, I can't see fitting a road bike inside for most adults. The height of the seat post makes it really difficult. The only videos I've found of people getting bikes inside are like 26" mtb or tiny road frames with seat post almost all the way down. If you're able to make it fit would be interested in knowing how! :)

I’m only 5’ 10. But I easily fit my road bike, my 29er mountain bike, or my 26” wheel fat bike inside with the rear seat folded and the front wheel off.

The mountain bikes require a little maneuvering. If I was any taller it could be a problem but could also use the dropper on my MTB I suppose.

I live in the UK, where making the lights and number plate invisible would be illegal. Have you had a legal opinion from a local traffic policeman..? ;)
Around here it's definitely not legal to obscure your plate, but I see numerous cars with rear mounted bike racks everyday. The police obviously do not care enough to stop people for it. But if they pull you over for something else there is a very good chance they will tack on some extra fines for obscuring the plate.

Model 3 with 5 bikes.
Tesla factory roof rails (Model 3 Roof Rack).
Two Yakima HighSpeed bike carriers on the roof (HighSpeed | Fork Mount Bike Rack | Yakima Racks).
A Stealth Hitch (stealthhitches.com) installed on the back (DIY) with a 1 Up 3-tray Heavy Duty bike carrier (1UP USA | OFFICIAL SITE). View attachment 538195View attachment 538196View attachment 538197

How do you like the 1up rack? I need to buy a 4 bike set up, for my wife’s SUV and have been shopping around. I like the Kuat, but the price is steep just to haul the kids bikes around here and there.

Took me around an hour and a half to install the Trailer hitch on my 3 it did have a panel underneath For the hitch I talked to Tesla to get a replacement one and they could not find it.
I also lost around 30% range with two mountain bikes on the back

How do you like the 1up rack? I need to buy a 4 bike set up, for my wife’s SUV and have been shopping around. I like the Kuat, but the price is steep just to haul the kids bikes around here and there.

I have a 1up and have put 3 bikes on it and have the additional 4th rail add on but have not used it yet. It is an excellent quality rack that my family and I have been using for over 3 years. I have a stealth hitch on my X3 and haven't had 1 issue with the rack or hitch. I once scraped the bottom of the hitch entering a driveway with my X3. I am tempted to put a hitch on the M3 but not sure how bad it would be exiting my driveway and dips. At highway speeds those dips and bumps are amplified.

Reactions: Jeff Davlt
that's an awesome setup! I am ordering a stealth soon. Did you do install yourself? Is it complicated? Is it visible when not racked/hitched up? Does it involve cutting the molding?
The stealth hitch is great. I installed it. Not too complicated. There's a nice video demonstrating the installation on etrailer.com (https://www.etrailer.com/Trailer-Hitch/Stealth-Hitches/391TES317T.html). It took me a few hours to install the hitch and electrical wiring. You can't see anything when the receiver/hitch is removed. See the stealth hitch website to see how it is concealed. I have a 2019 model 3 that has a panel, otherwise the instructions show you how to cut a small hole in the panel. There is also a 3rd party panel door that you can add to cover the hole you make.

Very nice. I'm hoping (and will try soon) to get my Specialized road bike in the back seat with the front wheel and right pedal off and towels on the seat and the back of the armrest area. I have a bike rack from my previous Subaru Legacy and now for my Subaru Ascent. Roof racks for bikes are tough for shorter people (about 5' 8"), but might be OK on a shorter car like the M3. They are also difficult with weightier objects that need to be kept pretty straight to get them in (ie. bikes).

Enjoy the biking with your family! Don't omit the helmets.
You can easily fit a bike in the back of the model 3 with the back seats down. I have no problem getting a fat tire mountain bike inside the back of the car with the rear seats down (front wheel removed). I've actually gotten two fat tire mountain bikes inside the back of the car with the rear seats folded down.

Fabulous!
A question about the rear rack… any considerations for the sensors in the rear bumper and/or camera? Something must be impaired...
Yes, the rear sensors show a constant red line detecting the hitch mounted bike rack. No alarms when driving but continually beeps when the car is in reverse (detecting a near object, the bike rack). Autopilot seems to work okay, but I assume there is some limitation and drive with caution.

I easily fit a fat tire mountain bike (27.5 inch wheels) inside the back of the car with the front wheel removed. The rear seats are folded down. I actually fit two fat tire mountain bikes inside the car with gear on one trip.