Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Model 3 with autopilot HW3 option APH4

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Hi, we know that Model S with VIN 310XXX are equipped with Autopilot Hardware 3 option code APH4, what about Model 3? We have just ordered a Blue long range model 3 in Italy and actual VIN (subjet to possible changes) is 2619XX: do you think we are going to have AP HW3 on delivery?

thanks
Massimo

Reactions: PaulJohn
Hi, we know that Model S with VIN 310XXX are equipped with Autopilot Hardware 3 option code APH4, what about Model 3? We have just ordered a Blue long range model 3 in Italy and actual VIN (subjet to possible changes) is 2619XX: do you think we are going to have AP HW3 on delivery?

thanks
Massimo

How do you get your VIN #? Apparently my car just came out of production today and they scheduled my delivery for next week and I still dont have a VIN

A friend of mine spoke to a sales rep at the local Tesla store who confirmed that Tesla is indeed installing HW3 in Model 3’s now. However, he also said they have a significant amount of sitting inventory they are trying to sell, so if you place an order now you may get matched to an inventory car which still has 2.5. We are trying to find out if there is a way to place an order that is contingent on having HW3 installed. He is not planning on buying FSD but is still hoping to benefit from other features that are controlled by the Autopilot computer which HW3 may benefit from.

A friend of mine spoke to a sales rep at the local Tesla store who confirmed that Tesla is indeed installing HW3 in Model 3’s now. However, he also said they have a significant amount of sitting inventory they are trying to sell, so if you place an order now you may get matched to an inventory car which still has 2.5. We are trying to find out if there is a way to place an order that is contingent on having HW3 installed. He is not planning on buying FSD but is still hoping to benefit from other features that are controlled by the Autopilot computer which HW3 may benefit from.

I can't be the only one unconcerned about HW3, am I? I'm scheduled for delivery next week of my LR AWD, but it's almost certainly with the current hardware chipset. (My VIN is 211xxx - but with a 'K' for 2019 model year; seems an early sequence for a 2019 build, but what do I know?)

I ordered with FSD and figure that by the time the hardware is needed, they'll have a way to install it for me. There's no way they'll turn on magical FSD features and leave folks that've already been promised those features hanging for a significant amount of time. The optics of that would be bad. They know *exactly* how many Model 3's are running around out there with the FSD feature, so as long as they manufacture and warehouse that number of modules (plus some spare stock), it'll be fine. In fact, I'd guess they'd delay releasing the features until that manufacturing is complete so they can do the Big Reveal. Remember, above all else, Elon is a marketer.

I'd be curious what the take rate is/was for FSD; my guess is somewhere around 10%. If that's the case, it's, what, maybe 50,000 modules? Not a big deal from a manufacturing perspective.

Unconcerned. HW2.5 is plenty fine with me, and when it's time for HW3, I'm sure I'll get it, one way or another.

Reactions: steve in socal
How does one know if they have the HW3 hardware? My LR RWD 3 is a 314xxx VIN, so pretty new!

Note I didn't buy FSD.

There have not been any confirmed sightings of a Model 3 with HW3 installed. The latest update is that Tesla is indeed installing them in cars coming off the line but they are currently building cars for international orders. So if you purchased a Model 3 built for North America and already have taken delivery it is highly unlikely it has HW3.

How does one know if they have the HW3 hardware? My LR RWD 3 is a 314xxx VIN, so pretty new!

There are ways to extract "option codes" from the car. An option code of "APH3" corresponds to HW 2.5, whereas "APH4" refers to HW 3 -- or so I've read. (I haven't saved references, I'm afraid.) One way to get the option codes is via TeslaFi, which is a service that extracts and summarizes a wealth of data from any Tesla. It's a for-pay service, but there's a free 2-week trial (4 weeks with referral codes; I got one from a YouTube video, but I don't recall what it was, offhand). Another caveat, of course, is that if you use TeslaFi (or any other third-party Tesla app or service), you're giving a third party access to a wealth of data from your car.

• Informative
Reactions: M3BlueGeorgia
There have not been any confirmed sightings of a Model 3 with HW3 installed. The latest update is that Tesla is indeed installing them in cars coming off the line but they are currently building cars for international orders. So if you purchased a Model 3 built for North America and already have taken delivery it is highly unlikely it has HW3.

How about a new US order now that's not inventory matched?

My understanding, if this connector is white- HW2.5 if is blue-HW3 see pictures below (located aft side center console) by the middle passenger feet.
50484073-EEE2-4504-A7A2-02AF3A0F0B31.jpeg

BB5FDE9C-584A-495B-B35B-6E2AD3DBA244.jpeg