Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Model 3 with EAP (or FSD now) not showing blue lines when AP is on, or Nav on AP..what gives?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Not sure if this is the proper place, but our Model 3 has EAP (or FSD for current AP users) and is missing the blue lines on the left and right of the vehicle, and when on Nav on Autopilot is missing the blue line ahead of it. It doesn't show any of this but does actually work as far as autopilot goes. Scared to use it without the blue lines...any tips?

Did you splurge for the full FSD or do you have EAP still? I wonder if having full FSD changed things? Car is currently updating to what I assume will be 8.3 (/edit Yup), but I'm stuck at work until 4pm Pacific before I can see what changed for me ;)

And the point was as I said it has no relevance to this thread. :D Everyone with any level of AP has autosteer. This thread was about why no blue lines.

This is correct but just informing those that may be confused.

In either case, we have tried steering wheel reboot, steering wheel reboot with foot on brake, and also powering off the car for 10+ minutes. Put the vehicle on the freeway, turn AP on, it activates and sits in the lane just fine but no blue lines on either left right or on Nav on AP.

Reactions: boaterva
This is correct but just informing those that may be confused.

In either case, we have tried steering wheel reboot, steering wheel reboot with foot on brake, and also powering off the car for 10+ minutes. Put the vehicle on the freeway, turn AP on, it activates and sits in the lane just fine but no blue lines on either left right or on Nav on AP.
So, what does Tesla say when you call national support? That is the only thing that will get results.

It could be a display or AP computer failure. But you’d think it would fail self test.

And, seriously, there is no ‘reboot with brake pedal’. I’ve verified this with senior Tesla techs. It (1) just makes people feel better (2) is urban legend and (3) makes sure the car isn’t moving.

I’ve discussed this at length with several people while troubleshooting my own car issues. (And yes I know it’s even in Tesla troubleshooting doc. It does no harm but doesn’t add a thing.)

So, what does Tesla say when you call national support? That is the only thing that will get results.

It could be a display or AP computer failure. But you’d think it would fail self test.

And, seriously, there is no ‘reboot with brake pedal’. I’ve verified this with senior Tesla techs. It (1) just makes people feel better (2) is urban legend and (3) makes sure the car isn’t moving.

I’ve discussed this at length with several people while troubleshooting my own car issues. (And yes I know it’s even in Tesla troubleshooting doc. It does no harm but doesn’t add a thing.)
Not sure who you verified with but it was Tesla's National Support (Technical Support) Who asked me to put the foot on the brakes as they are calling this a "harder" reboot than just steering buttons. In Fact two support agents have told me this, so it may have been your advisor who was wrong and not the multiple others who confirmed the foot on brake reset.

Not sure who you verified with but it was Tesla's National Support (Technical Support) Who asked me to put the foot on the brakes as they are calling this a "harder" reboot than just steering buttons. In Fact two support agents have told me this, so it may have been your advisor who was wrong and not the multiple others who confirmed the foot on brake reset.
The point is that everyone thinks (even internal people) that this is an extra step. I was talking to a very senior person about a failed installation after talking to two others. I’ll bet it’s even jnternal urban legend.

Next time I talk to someone that isn’t reading a script and knows internals, I’ll ask again.

It may have started as an easy way to get users to reboot again (a second time) and turned into being ‘different’ when it isn’t. I’ve been asked to reboot again many times and I don’t object. Some people (not saying you) might say ‘why’ and having this ‘deeper’ reboot would make it easy to save time in the usual tech support conversations.

I’ve done tech support for decades and anything that prevents balky clients is a help. (There used to be an ‘unplug the cable and blow the dust off of the connector’ line. This was to be sure you actually did pull power. :D
)

My tech quite readily said there was no difference and all it did was (of course) make sure the car wasn’t in motion. Since you can reboot while driving, that’s irrelevant anyway.

The point is that everyone thinks (even internal people) that this is an extra step. I was talking to a very senior person about a failed installation after talking to two others. I’ll bet it’s even jnternal urban legend.

Next time I talk to someone that isn’t reading a script and knows internals, I’ll ask again.

It may have started as an easy way to get users to reboot again (a second time) and turned into being ‘different’ when it isn’t. I’ve been asked to reboot again many times and I don’t object. Some people (not saying you) might say ‘why’ and having this ‘deeper’ reboot would make it easy to save time in the usual tech support conversations.

I’ve done tech support for decades and anything that prevents balky clients is a help. (There used to be an ‘unplug the cable and blow the dust off of the connector’ line. This was to be sure you actually did pull power. :D

My tech quite readily said there was no difference and all it did was (of course) make sure the car wasn’t in motion. Since you can reboot while driving, that’s irrelevant anyway.
Tesla Engineering was the second person to advise of this just FYI, not saying they are correct but they went through several motions on this.

Next step: setup a service with Tesla SC in San Diego, not going to pick the car up until its fixed. Spent too much money to feel unsafe with AP running or even using it...

• Informative
Reactions: boaterva
Tesla Engineering was the second person to advise of this just FYI, not saying they are correct but they went through several motions on this.

Next step: setup a service with Tesla SC in San Diego, not going to pick the car up until its fixed. Spent too much money to feel unsafe with AP running or even using it...
Yeah, I’ve never heard here or elsewhere of a car where the lines didn’t show up when AP/Autosteer was working. Surprised they couldn’t tell anything via remote access. Best of luck and do report back!