Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Model III rally version?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I was very excited when Tesla announce the MS60D... so excited that I was one of probably 3 people that placed and order when announced... Alas it was canceled and I went with the rear wheel drive 85. I mention this cause a model 60D rally car would have been a very cool option into the world of rally racing...
So now I can still hope for a Model III Rally... at 35K it makes getting electric cars into this sport much more viable... remember that rally is usually a short timed gravel/asphalt/snow course so range is not important... it is speed and traction... between trials you can supercharge.
Anyone wanna be my navigator?

P65801

Shameless plug:
http://www.phoenixproject-thenovel.com

If there is a Model ☰ Sporthatch, sized about like a Peugeot 205/305 or something, but including a 60 kWh battery pack and dual motor AWD, that would be nice... But Tesla Motors is going for a wide sales market for the masses, and wants the Model ☰ to be accepted by US buyers at its price point... So that car will have to wait until other configurations (sedan/crossover) have made it big on the sales charts.

I think an electric rally car would be awesome, but not without it's faults.

The instant torque and awesome acceleration would be a huge plus for the many corners of most rally roads
The low centre of gravity would make rollovers less likely in the corners than other vehicles
The heavier vehicle would be worse in the corners
Range *IS* important. A recent rally I worked had a total distance over 600km (over 375 miles) There are services in the middle, sometimes more than 100 miles between services, and services are only 20 minutes long, service is also done in an empty parking lot with no utility hookups.
Charging could be an issue, however pack swaps at service could mitigate this. Also keep in mind you won't be getting 300wh/mi driving rally style.

If there is a Model ☰ Sporthatch, sized about like a Peugeot 205/305 or something, but including a 60 kWh battery pack and dual motor AWD, that would be nice... But Tesla Motors is going for a wide sales market for the masses, and wants the Model ☰ to be accepted by US buyers at its price point... So that car will have to wait until other configurations (sedan/crossover) have made it big on the sales charts.

You do know the Model S is a hatch, right?

It's it's the Model 3 and not the Model (symbol).
tilting_at_windmills.jpg

To be a rally car I am pretty sure you will want a way to turn off regen or take the regen off the throttle pedal.

The level of precision that a 2 motor electric AWD can offer makes me wonder what kind of different control setup might work.
Pedals and paddles to control the brake/throttle split? 4 pedals: a pair of brake and throttle pedals for the front and back?

Armoring the bottom of the car will have some advantages and disadvantages.
You need to armor the bottom of a rally car, or the constant gravel spray will erode everything.
Because the bottom is flat, you can cover the entire bottom with huge 3/8" plastic panels and you don't have to deal with hot exhaust parts.
But that makes battery swapping more time consuming.
The battery also makes impaling yourself on a large rock a little more dangerous.

It's it's the Model 3 and not the Model (symbol).
Correct, it will not be a "Model ☰" (which is the Greek character Xi). Ford threw a hissy fit about anybody else using "Model E" and since Tesla already employs the Xi character as the "E" (reference the chrome strip on the back of the MS), they're not going to side-step Ford's claim by using the same character for the Model 3, despite what Musk said, tongue in cheek.- - - Updated - - -
Another thing to consider is that rally drivers hate cars that don't allow simultaneous use of the brake and accelerator pedals... I'm pretty sure the S is one of those cars...
That's a trick used with ICE engines, and completely irrelevant when it comes to electric motors.

That's a trick used with ICE engines, and completely irrelevant when it comes to electric motors.

I wouldn't go that far. It's a divisive topic for sure, but left foot braking can help manage vehicle attitude and smooth out transitions as well as minimize the time between throttle and brake. Using the technique to keep up boost/load is N/A for an EV of course, but that's only only one many potential benefits.

Not true. Using both pedals at the same time is very important in rallying. It is not just to keep the revs up.
If you have the brakes biased hard to the rear applying the brake while still under throttle you get the rears and fronts to behave differently. You want the rears to lose traction and slide, while the fronts are not sliding and still working to turn you.
You can do that with a handbrake turn, but that is crude compared to subtle applications of the brake pedal.

As I said above - a 2 motor EV gives you the opportunity to have very precise control over what the fronts and rears do - but also might benefit from a radical new control set.

Love that!:)
Google images is great... Glad you took it as intended (never want to piss off a mod :biggrin:)

Not true. Using both pedals at the same time is very important in rallying. It is not just to keep the revs up.
If you have the brakes biased hard to the rear applying the brake while still under throttle you get the rears and fronts to behave differently. You want the rears to lose traction and slide, while the fronts are not sliding and still working to turn you.
You can do that with a handbrake turn, but that is crude compared to subtle applications of the brake pedal.

As I said above - a 2 motor EV gives you the opportunity to have very precise control over what the fronts and rears do - but also might benefit from a radical new control set.
The last non-drive by wire car that I had that wouldn't go nuts with simultaneous brake and throttle input was an early 90's FWD Saturn. With a small about of left foot braking and a little throttle to compensate, I could easily get the car to oversteer in the snow. I wasn't locking the rears (unless somehow pressing both pedals caused the ABS to go nuts), and I never had anyone watch outside the car to see what the wheels were doing, but I always suspected it was a combination of increased rear braking and some weight transfer. This was a N/A car, so keeping the boost up wasn't an issue.