Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Model S 100D valuations

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Hi All,

Looking for used MS 100D. Trying to get a handle on values, as what I see is so ludicrously (sorry) overpriced relative to a new S that I am puzzled. I'm seeing cars two model years old that are near the price of a new car with more range. My hang up is that I'm looking for a sunroof car, so new is out. Thanks.

As said, earlier cars cost much more. Most owners want to get most of that old price back. For many, buying a new Tesla makes more sense than buying an older one.

Used Tesla has the advantage of immediate delivery, test rides in the exact car you will be buying and perhaps some features (sunroof, perforated seats, dual chargers, leather seating) no longer available.

The used car values seem to be holding up remarkably well, compared to buying new.

The new cars have faster computers, newer battery technology, faster charging, upgraded interiors, and usually lower list pricing.

Tesla definitely plays around with their used car pricing. Out of curiosity from looking at this thread, a currently used 2016 P100DL from Tesla costs pretty much around the same as it did when we bought used at the end of 2018 for same options and mileage (<20k miles).

• Informative
Reactions: BulldogsRus
As said, earlier cars cost much more. Most owners want to get most of that old price back. For many, buying a new Tesla makes more sense than buying an older one.

Used Tesla has the advantage of immediate delivery, test rides in the exact car you will be buying and perhaps some features (sunroof, perforated seats, dual chargers, leather seating) no longer available.

The used car values seem to be holding up remarkably well, compared to buying new.

The new cars have faster computers, newer battery technology, faster charging, upgraded interiors, and usually lower list pricing.
New 100D charge faster than older 100D model s? Why do you think that?

And the old 85 WERE capable of 120lw but now struggle to get 70, Tesla hasn't owned up to why.

Till they explain I think we should at least consider the possibility they allow abusive charging rates as a sales tool, only to take it away later. Again for the koolaid drinkers I said consider the possibility, I am not staying this as fact.

Reactions: BulldogsRus
And the old 85 WERE capable of 120lw but now struggle to get 70, Tesla hasn't owned up to why.

Till they explain I think we should at least consider the possibility they allow abusive charging rates as a sales tool, only to take it away later. Again for the koolaid drinkers I said consider the possibility, I am not staying this as fact.

I think the answer as to why they are limiting the charge rate on the 85 packs is either longevity or safety neither of which they will ever fess up to.

I think the answer as to why they are limiting the charge rate on the 85 packs is either longevity or safety neither of which they will ever fess up to.
Exactly, as those owners are much closer to needing a battery replaced under warranty which would be very costly for Tesla. They have access to data that we are not privy to and most likely determined this was inevitable.

Most these comments seem accurate But what about those early 2019 100D’s with FSD and HW3?

Unlike the rest of the car, if you believe Tesla, that aspect of the car is appreciating and if you want it, it skews the entire equation. I really think Tesla should unbundle FSD to a software license, But then it would be very difficult for them to charge us twice for it.

Hi All,

Looking for used MS 100D. Trying to get a handle on values, as what I see is so ludicrously (sorry) overpriced relative to a new S that I am puzzled. I'm seeing cars two model years old that are near the price of a new car with more range. My hang up is that I'm looking for a sunroof car, so new is out. Thanks.
I think your obser
Hi All,

I think your observation is spot on and plays across all models produced in 16/17/18 ie the "X" as well. Sellers love to post the Monroney sticker to show the price paid in 2017/18, and some prospective buyers get caught up on the fact that the car was $115k when new. When in fact due to price cuts, additional standard features and advancement in tech, the same configuration can now be purchased for more than $20k less. So do you buy a known quantity ie a car that has been driven for 20k miles and has no known issues (if the seller is truthful) and a known degradation, vs spending $5 or $10k more to get a new unknown car?

In my case do I spend $80k on a 2018 "X" from a private seller that new was $115k. Or do I buy a new "X", comparably equipped if not better so at $92k direct from Tesla which will have 2 more years of B2B warranty?

But if your budget is your budget...

DZM