Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Model S 2022 to Model Y 2022 - Should I switch?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Hello, I wanted to check any refreshed Model S Long Range owners tried (or switched to) a Model Y 2022 and what your thoughts on it.

I have a reservation for a Model Y Long Range and I am thinking, shold I switch ot it when it becomes available. I currently own 2022 MSLR and I LOVE it. But I am also trying to weigh in my options on the economics of it.

I believe I have about 20k+ equity on my MSLR given that I booked mine almost 18 months back and the price went up by 25k+ I might be wrong on this assumption, but I am sure I will still get more than what I paid for given the current config of my car is $107,940 before taxes. I currently own this for over 4 months and has less thank 5k miles on it.

My Model Y Long Range is went up by over 4K after my reserved price and I want to take advantage of this price and equity.

I have not driven a Model Y and I am not sure how the drive experience given to the Model S is. The advantage I see is definitely the price and also, I am used to SUVs until I got my MSLR and I definitely like the higher seats compared to the MS.

Other than the price difference I mented above, here are a few other things:
- The 0 to 60 is 4.8 sec vs 2.4 sec
- There is only one Screen on the Y on the front, vs 3 screens on the S
- Mileage - The Y has 330 vs S 405
- Seats - The Y does not have Ventilated, but better head room seats higher than the S
- Steering - Round vs Yoke

Did I miss anything? What do you guys think? Should I consider switching?

My biggest regret would be, if the driving experience in the Y is considerablely less than what I am used to on the S.

Reactions: jschimel
I’ve owned all Tesla models at this point. The model S refresh is by far the superior vehicle over the Y. I would not recommend the switch. Additionally, the Y certainly doesn’t warrant its current market price. I currently have a 2021 model Y and a 2022 Model S.
Well, witht he 40K price difference between them, I am sure it's superior. But my question is, should I take the advantage I have on the appreceiation of the S and Y and is the compromise worth it.

Well, witht he 40K price difference between them, I am sure it's superior. But my question is, should I take the advantage I have on the appreceiation of the S and Y and is the compromise worth it.
I would still say No. The Y has a loud, stiff/rigid ride that falls apart with any rough roads. The doors sound cheap when closing and the interior is much more plastic in feel. You’ve seen the best and in my opinion it would be hard to go backwards. Yes, you have some equity but once you sell the model S it would take a lot more to get back into that car. I think the best thing to do would be to rent a Model Y on Tuoro for a few days. That would answer the question and be much more conclusive then anyones opinion on this forum. We are all biased in some way. Best of luck.

Is the goal to have the most $$$ in your pocket or the vehicle you’ll enjoy the most?

Only you can answer that.

I’ve had 3,X and S. No way I’d get a Y. A lot folks loath how it rides.

You could go with a Nissan Leaf and even have more money in your pocket.

I highly recommend you take a very long test drive in Y. One problem is, any different will feel new and fresh.

P.S. Refresh S LR does not do 0-60 in 2.4s. 3.1. A Raven S Performance does around 2.4s. Or a Plaid X.

Reactions: DaBean
I had a few model S’s in the past, and while Y is definitely stiffer and cheaper build quality it’s good enough for me. I like the extra interior space and higher driving position. I think it’s a better family car. You have to try one for a few days before you make the decision.

Or just make another model S reservation so you get a way to go back to the S in a few months if you end up not liking the Y.

Obviously nobody can answer this for you since we don’t know the ‘value’ of money to you. Having said that, I would personally take the money and run. The Y is a fantastic car. You could use a fraction of your profit to purchase the acceleration boost.

It may come down to how much you’ve been spoiled by your S. First order of business: drive a Y and judge for yourself.

Reactions: VizagDude
Thank you all for your inputs.

I'll definitely test drive the Y before I make the call. To be honest with you guys, $$ is definitely the motivator. But at the same time, I do not want to regret after I made the switch.

I really enjoy the MSLR, especially the power it when taking off from a stop signal, or when I want to pass some one on the highways. It's effortless. But I am assuming other models of Tesla will have the same experience (unless compared to another Tesla). I belive I can live with the lower build quality given it's 40K cheaper to my MSLR. But that remains to be seen.

I also have RIVIN R1T reservation. But I think it'll take close to 24 months for it be available (of course, the price is unknown at this point).

A few weeks ago I traded in my 2021 MY Performance for a brand new 2022 Model S LR. The S is objectively superior to the Y in almost every metric, except for the interior volume and the price. The new S Refresh is also much better than the old Raven. I think if you'll make the switch you'll regret it later.

I think the Model S Refresh is currently the best car Tesla is making at this point.

A few weeks ago I traded in my 2021 MY Performance for a brand new 2022 Model S LR. The S is objectively superior to the Y in almost every metric, except for the interior volume and the price. The new S Refresh is also much better than the old Raven. I think if you'll make the switch you'll regret it later.

I think the Model S Refresh is currently the best car Tesla is making at this point.
I agree and still think it is one of the best looking cars on the road.

We are actually considering getting a Model Y to replace my wife’s car and I will keep my refresh Model S, unless I get a Lucid Air Touring when they come out. Now just have to decide Model Y LR or Performance. :)

Interior volume of Y and S are almost the same. Just distributed differently.

• Informative
Reactions: Olle and QUBO
Forgot to mention that my wife has the MY Standard Range. Although the interior volume of the Y and S are similar, the trunk and the rear bench of the model Y are way more practical and useful than that of the Model S for a number of reasons.

Interior volume of Y and S are almost the same. Just distributed differently.

Forgot to mention that my wife has the MY Standard Range. Although the interior volume of the Y and S are similar, the trunk and the rear bench of the model Y are way more practical and useful than that of the Model S for a number of reasons.

Can you guys elaborate on this? Where does the S have more interior space?

Thank you all for your inputs.

I'll definitely test drive the Y before I make the call. To be honest with you guys, $$ is definitely the motivator. But at the same time, I do not want to regret after I made the switch.

I really enjoy the MSLR, especially the power it when taking off from a stop signal, or when I want to pass some one on the highways. It's effortless. But I am assuming other models of Tesla will have the same experience (unless compared to another Tesla). I belive I can live with the lower build quality given it's 40K cheaper to my MSLR. But that remains to be seen.

I also have RIVIN R1T reservation. But I think it'll take close to 24 months for it be available (of course, the price is unknown at this point).
Y/3 do not have the same power at highway speeds.

Definitely go test drive one... and I am willing to bet you'll stick with the S.

BUT, with that said, 3/Y are a better "value" in terms of TCO while still owning a Tesla, and of course you can go cheaper with a Leaf or other entry-level EVs. Question for you is: what matters more? $ or enjoying your car? There's a point to be made for either, and there's no right answer.

I would disagree that the S has more or the same usable interior space. The new S has a significantly smaller frunk and less under trunk storage compared to my previous 2016 model S. If your priority is to save $$ and have more flexibility with cargo space, I think the Y is the way to go. If you are prioritizing (Tesla-relative) luxury or if you live in a warmer climate, the S may edge out. The ventilated seats have really made a difference on warmer days IMO. Longer trips are also much more suited to the S because its larger battery allows you to charge at a higher rate for more kwh.

It all really depends on what your priorities are.

Update on my situation:

Fortunately or unfortunately, my Model Y LR arrived much quicker that what was showing up on my App when I started this thread. I reserved the MYLR on May 7th and it got delivered yesterday :)

Okay, here the reason why I decided to get the Model Y. When they reached out to me that my VIN is assigned and I can take the delivery within couple of days, I asked them if it was Giga Texas with the 4680 battery. They wanted to check on that before they could answer that. Within a few hours, they confirmed that it WAS from Austin and with the new battery pack. I got sold. Also, On this forum I was asked to look at the VIN and if the 11th character has an A its from Austin and an F its from Fremont. Mine has an A.

To be honest, I am pleasantly surprised with the built quality of the Y. It was in perfect condition. Much better than my MSLR. I had to raise at least 4 service requests to fix alignment issues with my MSLR. The Y had no issues at all. A few other things, it came with the wall charger as well, although I was told I had to pay for it. It had the cargo shelf as well in the Trunk, which was missing in my MSLR when it was delivered.

The ride experience is not as bad as some of you had expressed. Yes, it definitely does not have the power of my S, but on a day-to-day basis, 80% of the time I do not need the power of the S, if you know what I mean. I definiely enjoyed the full steering and the stalks for indicator and wipers. For some reason, I feel the Y seats are more comfortable for longer rides with the sitting posture. They seem to be much more thicker than the S.

I did not know that Y does not come with the garage door opener functionality (homelink) and I have to buy that and have it installed. This is a 70k+ vehicle for heavens sake
It did not come with the Matrix headlights
The ride is a little rough and more noisier than my S

For NOW I have both the S and Y. I am in the process of convincing my wife to replace her 2020 RDX with they Y :) If not, I would have to make the hard decision.

Hello, I wanted to check any refreshed Model S Long Range owners tried (or switched to) a Model Y 2022 and what your thoughts on it.

I have a reservation for a Model Y Long Range and I am thinking, shold I switch ot it when it becomes available. I currently own 2022 MSLR and I LOVE it. But I am also trying to weigh in my options on the economics of it.

I believe I have about 20k+ equity on my MSLR given that I booked mine almost 18 months back and the price went up by 25k+ I might be wrong on this assumption, but I am sure I will still get more than what I paid for given the current config of my car is $107,940 before taxes. I currently own this for over 4 months and has less thank 5k miles on it.

My Model Y Long Range is went up by over 4K after my reserved price and I want to take advantage of this price and equity.

I have not driven a Model Y and I am not sure how the drive experience given to the Model S is. The advantage I see is definitely the price and also, I am used to SUVs until I got my MSLR and I definitely like the higher seats compared to the MS.

Other than the price difference I mented above, here are a few other things:
- The 0 to 60 is 4.8 sec vs 2.4 sec
- There is only one Screen on the Y on the front, vs 3 screens on the S
- Mileage - The Y has 330 vs S 405
- Seats - The Y does not have Ventilated, but better head room seats higher than the S
- Steering - Round vs Yoke

Did I miss anything? What do you guys think? Should I consider switching?

My biggest regret would be, if the driving experience in the Y is considerablely less than what I am used to on the S.
I have no insight here, but wondering if you are able to test drive a Y where you live? that might be helpful. I'm in between the X and Y... I don't want to pay the price of the X if the Y will suit which is why I booked a test drive for the Y a few days ago. It kept telling me no test drives available in my area (I have to drive 2.5 hours to test drive), until recently when it became available again, so maybe give that a try first? Schedule a Test Drive | Tesla

I have no insight here, but wondering if you are able to test drive a Y where you live? that might be helpful. I'm in between the X and Y... I don't want to pay the price of the X if the Y will suit which is why I booked a test drive for the Y a few days ago. It kept telling me no test drives available in my area (I have to drive 2.5 hours to test drive), until recently when it became available again, so maybe give that a try first? Schedule a Test Drive | Tesla
Not sure if you followed my previous post, but I did land up taking the delivery of the Y as well. I booked it in May and I got the delivery 2 weeks back.

Here are my thoughts thus far:
- The quality is much not as good as the S.
- Performance wise, there is no comparison to S, but I think for a normal day use, it gets the job done.
- For me, I like the elevated ride of the Y more comfortable than the S

My final thoughts, with the new price hikes, is the price of the S worth compared to the Y, I don’t think so. I also think the current price of the Y is why higher. But if you looking a Tesla for 80% of what most of us use the car for, the Y is most favorable option.

Not sure if you followed my previous post, but I did land up taking the delivery of the Y as well. I booked it in May and I got the delivery 2 weeks back.

Here are my thoughts thus far:
- The quality is much not as good as the S.
- Performance wise, there is no comparison to S, but I think for a normal day use, it gets the job done.
- For me, I like the elevated ride of the Y more comfortable than the S

My final thoughts, with the new price hikes, is the price of the S worth compared to the Y, I don’t think so. I also think the current price of the Y is why higher. But if you looking a Tesla for 80% of what most of us use the car for, the Y is most favorable option.
Thanks for that! Very informative. Sorry I did not catch up with your previous post.

I have both , MY and MS. Currently trying to see how much i can get if i sell them. Got $71k from Carvana for my MY 2022. My MS 2018 got only $55k even if Tesla sells it for $75k on their website..
Same thing goes with Vroom and other companies.
They told me MS is not that popular as MY.
If i was you i would sell MS now if i can get good money. If you wait 2 years you will lose much more
It seams that MS is not easy to sell and losing value faster then MY.
I enjoy driving MS more, even if my MY has more advanced technology but keeping MS for more years and out of warranty is scaring me.