Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

My Model S totaled so sad

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.

S#5034

Mar 8, 2013
LA
On my 10th year anniversary my Model S was flooded and declared a total loss.

I really babied this car had upgraded to a 75Kw with a new drive unit. Shame I’m losing the Free Super Charging.

USAA is being almost kind and wants me to find out the value for the 75 upgrade and driver unit. Maybe they increase the payout.

Anyone know how much value there is in:
1. 75Kw battery (1 year old)
2. New drive unit (1 year old)
3. Free unlimited Super Charging

Guesstimates welcomed.

RIP MS you will be missed.

Sorry to hear. Unfortunately, strictly speaking, they add no value from insurance perspective. If you get a new transmission in your ICE and then total it the next day, you don’t get a higher value for the car.
Just find a similar used vehicle and use it as a comp. There are similar cars recently sold.

This is a similar car with a newish 85 battery that can’t sell at 31k. 2013 Model S P85, FREE Supercharging, with a NEW battery and WARRANTY

Sorry to hear. Unfortunately, strictly speaking, they add no value from insurance perspective. If you get a new transmission in your ICE and then total it the next day, you don’t get a higher value for the car.
Just find a similar used vehicle and use it as a comp. There are similar cars recently sold.

This is a similar car with a newish 85 battery that can’t sell at 31k. 2013 Model S P85, FREE Supercharging, with a NEW battery and WARRANTY

Good find. That's one way of getting back free supercharging! But honestly, best to get a new Tesla. The tech has improved dramatically.

Reactions: Smileysam
I agree the battery and the drive unit are like repairing the roof on the house, buying new tires or new brakes for the car. It is maintenance to fix something and doesn't add any value. The Unlimited Free Supercharging might be a bargaining point for settlement, but it would be tough to argue with the company that you planned on keeping the car long enough to get much added value on a 10 year old car, even though you probably were going to keep it until the battery died, and it would be tough to prove the past value to you. per year or per month. Sorry for the accident. Hopefully you will get a fair settlement and can move on with something else. Glad you were not injured.

I agree the battery and the drive unit are like repairing the roof on the house, buying new tires or new brakes for the car. It is maintenance to fix something and doesn't add any value. The Unlimited Free Supercharging might be a bargaining point for settlement, but it would be tough to argue with the company that you planned on keeping the car long enough to get much added value on a 10 year old car, even though you probably were going to keep it until the battery died, and it would be tough to prove the past value to you. per year or per month. Sorry for the accident. Hopefully you will get a fair settlement and can move on with something else. Glad you were not injured.
FWIW: Lo these many years ago, when I was a semi-starving college student doing it on my own dime, some teen-aged idiot ran me and my '71 VW Bug off the left side of an interstate in hilly territory. I'll admit my driving skills at the time could have been better; in any case, the front wheels dug in on the soft shoulder, and the car went butt over teakettle, once, down the side of the road. Thank $DIETY for decent seat belts/shoulder straps, I got out of it in one piece. The car, as one would expect for a vehicle that had landed at speed directly on top of the engine compartment, was totaled.

And this was the car that I had spent the last year or so of my Navy days fixing up so it would take me through college. Engine overhaul? Check. Metal welded to the holey floor panel, under the driver's feet? Check. Paint job, using the original color? Check. I had de-rusted, re-painted, fixed the suspension, replaced the gas tank, and this car, with 130,000 miles on it, was good to go. (And, back in the 70's, a VW Beetle of that age, or the equivalent rust pile, that had been driven in snow, ice, and salt was usually on its way to a junk yard..) Heck, it had even had rust-prevention coating applied to the bottom.

So, was very sad. After a bit, the appropriate insurance company came through. Now, this was a 7 year old car. But it was, like, pristine. Next: Back in those days, the odometer had but five digits; I guess those Germans figured that most cars like that wouldn't get past 99,999 in any case. So, at 130,000 miles, the odometer was showing 29,8XX, or whatever it was.

The appraiser said it was worth at lot more than I thought Kelly would have noted for the car: He actually stated it was a, "low mileage car". So, I got a few more grand out of it. It wasn't actually cheating: This totally stock car really was in good condition.

I think that the right thing to do would be to point out to the appraiser that your car had those value-enhancing fixes done to it, so the actual mileage (which is usually a measure of the wear on a car) wasn't the effective mileage. If you approach the people nicely, you may get some sympathy.. and extra money. Can't hurt to ask.

Reactions: DerbyDave

Depends on the insurance's view on replacement cost. A car with new engine is worth more than one with the original. When my car was totaled, they bumped the payout up a little due to new tires.

@wk057 might be interested depending on the level of water ingress.

On my 10th year anniversary my Model S was flooded and declared a total loss.

I really babied this car had upgraded to a 75Kw with a new drive unit. Shame I’m losing the Free Super Charging.

USAA is being almost kind and wants me to find out the value for the 75 upgrade and driver unit. Maybe they increase the payout.

Anyone know how much value there is in:
1. 75Kw battery (1 year old)
2. New drive unit (1 year old)
3. Free unlimited Super Charging

Guesstimates welcomed.

RIP MS you will be missed.
How did it get flooded?

If you can prove that the transmission (or anything else) was newly replaced, you can get more for the car. Not 100¢ on the dollar, but you do get something for it, especially if the new part was still under warranty.