Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Model S 75D - Panoramic Glass/Sunroof - Complication

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Hello all,

This is my first post here, my father and I just received our first Tesla about 3 days ago and my family and friends are absolutely obsessed with it. All of our milage so far has literally been driving to and from relatives and close friends to show off the car and amaze people.

Im 26 years old, my father and I are both police officers (him retired) and by no means wealthy. We have been eyeing the Tesla company for many years now and have been EV owners prior to our Tesla acquisition. We were lucky enough to experience BMW's Pilot Program of the Active-E (1 series full electric) which was our first all electric vehicle and we still have the charger on the side of the house. It gave us a taste for an electric car, but lacked in reliability/range. Hence our curiosity with the Tesla. As the years went by and me working in manhattan I've been noticing many more model S's/X's on the road my father and I made a joint decision to look into leasing one.

We test drove the Model X and never even drove the S. However, after trying to figure out some finances and seeing how well the S was rated we wound up getting the S without even test driving it. The experience start to finish in regards to this company was unparalleled with any car acquisition my family has ever taken part in.

We went with a 75D/BlackonBlack/UHF Sound/Enhanced AP2/Full Driving Cap/Subzero/and "All Glass Panoramic Roof" which was unfortunately the only thing I was a little upset about. After seeing the specification on the car as an upgraded option of $1500 for the "All Glass Panoramic Roof" i anticipated it being the full glass pane throughout the roof and not the sunroof. However, upon delivery I noticed the car was equipped with the sunroof ($2000) but I was only charged the $1500.

This has literally been the only negative experience throughout the entire process thus far, and its honestly not even worth being harped over. The interior of the vehicle is absolutely stunning in every aspect.

As far as AP2 and the software updates in the coming future, I'm waiting very patiently ;)

Welcome to TMC! There's at least one other Active-E alum here.

Sounds like a great configuration (well, there's almost no such thing as a "bad" Tesla configuration). I'm glad that you're OK with the roof mess-up. Please be sure to mention this in any feedback that you give to Tesla, clearly there's something that didn't work right on their end and they need to improve their processes for future owners.

Enjoy your car!

Bruce.

Yes, welcome to the TMC forum. Welcome to the family. Yes all know exactly how you feel about the Tesla. We do too. Some of us just a little longer or sooner than you.
As for your sunroof, let me offer what is likely the explanation. Since the beginning the sunroof was called the All Glass Panoramic roof the price was $1500. (That sounds sexier than sunroof, you must admit). Then in Oct '16 the full glass roof was made available as an option and its priced at $1500 and the Panoramic sunroof was changed to $2,000. Although you are going to see other differences, there is basically two main differences. 1), the Panoramic sunroof opens. 2) the glass roof does not have the bar on the inside from the driver side to the passenger side directly behind the front seat headrest.

If you go sit in the back seat of a Model S that has the glass roof after your first GASP!, the first thing you are going to say is, THIS IS PANORAMIC !! The view is amazing. So why is Tesla calling the Panoramic sunroof PANORAMIC when THIS IS PANORAMIC. Well, I think someone one (maybe Elon) said, why are we calling the sunroof Panoramic when the glass roof really is more Panoramic. Hence the name change without a detailed explanation. Mind you - I am just guessing 'cause Elon still does not check with me before he makes changes to my company. But I expect that will change when Donald adds me to the same advisory board he added Elon and Mary Barra.

So, does my explanation make sense? I don't think you got a bad deal or a bad configuration. You probably won't miss notice the bar across the sides behind the headrest, unless your AutoPilot is engaged and you are "driving" from the backseat.

I have enjoyed my Panoramic sunroof for the past three+ years. You made an excellent choice. And Bruce is correct, there's no such thing as a bad Tesla configuration (or bad Tesla).

Hello all,

... We were lucky enough to experience BMW's Pilot Program of the Active-E (1 series full electric) which was our first all electric vehicle and we still have the charger on the side of the house. It gave us a taste for an electric car, but lacked in reliability/range. Hence our curiosity with the Tesla. As the years went by and me working in manhattan I've been noticing many more model S's/X's on the road my father and I made a joint decision to look into leasing one...

Welcome to TMC! There's at least one other Active-E alum here....

Ther's a few of us here on TMC...

My AE for AEDennis used to be for ActiveE and now stands for accidentally environmental....

Welcome to S ownership @EsotericRod ... as much as I love my S... I miss my old ActiveE (54,321 miles in two years...)

We went with a 75D/BlackonBlack/UHF Sound/Enhanced AP2/Full Driving Cap/Subzero/and "All Glass Panoramic Roof" which was unfortunately the only thing I was a little upset about. After seeing the specification on the car as an upgraded option of $1500 for the "All Glass Panoramic Roof" i anticipated it being the full glass pane throughout the roof and not the sunroof. However, upon delivery I noticed the car was equipped with the sunroof ($2000) but I was only charged the $1500.

;)
You have a beautiful car and come spring-fever time in March, you and your Dad will be cruising out to Montauk with fresh air blowing and the warm sun bronzing up your smiling faces. :cool:

You can always shut the pano, but you can never open the one piece.
Enjoy and stay safe.

Yes, welcome to the TMC forum. Welcome to the family. Yes all know exactly how you feel about the Tesla. We do too. Some of us just a little longer or sooner than you.
As for your sunroof, let me offer what is likely the explanation. Since the beginning the sunroof was called the All Glass Panoramic roof the price was $1500. (That sounds sexier than sunroof, you must admit). Then in Oct '16 the full glass roof was made available as an option and its priced at $1500 and the Panoramic sunroof was changed to $2,000. Although you are going to see other differences, there is basically two main differences. 1), the Panoramic sunroof opens. 2) the glass roof does not have the bar on the inside from the driver side to the passenger side directly behind the front seat headrest.

If you go sit in the back seat of a Model S that has the glass roof after your first GASP!, the first thing you are going to say is, THIS IS PANORAMIC !! The view is amazing. So why is Tesla calling the Panoramic sunroof PANORAMIC when THIS IS PANORAMIC. Well, I think someone one (maybe Elon) said, why are we calling the sunroof Panoramic when the glass roof really is more Panoramic. Hence the name change without a detailed explanation. Mind you - I am just guessing 'cause Elon still does not check with me before he makes changes to my company. But I expect that will change when Donald adds me to the same advisory board he added Elon and Mary Barra.

So, does my explanation make sense? I don't think you got a bad deal or a bad configuration. You probably won't miss notice the bar across the sides behind the headrest, unless your AutoPilot is engaged and you are "driving" from the backseat.

I have enjoyed my Panoramic sunroof for the past three+ years. You made an excellent choice. And Bruce is correct, there's no such thing as a bad Tesla configuration (or bad Tesla).

haha, thank you for the detailed explanation lol.

Ther's a few of us here on TMC...

My AE for AEDennis used to be for ActiveE and now stands for accidentally environmental....

Welcome to S ownership @EsotericRod ... as much as I love my S... I miss my old ActiveE (54,321 miles in two years...)

54,321 miles in 2 years is amazing haha.. You really got some serious use out of that thing. We really loved ours too. We live in Staten Island, New York and we were severely impacted by hurricane sandy when it hit. There was incredible gas shortages with tons of people waiting on line for hours for gas and we just zipped on by in our Active-E without a care in the world.

54,321 miles in 2 years is amazing haha.. You really got some serious use out of that thing. We really loved ours too. We live in Staten Island, New York and we were severely impacted by hurricane sandy when it hit. There was incredible gas shortages with tons of people waiting on line for hours for gas and we just zipped on by in our Active-E without a care in the world.

I remember. My good friend @tommolog had written all about his experiences in New Jersey during that period.

BMW's regen is definitely one thing that they do better than Tesla... however, We were able to take our Tesla to visit the East Coast in 2015, and the Active E would have been trying p, to say the least...