Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Model S 85Kwh battery repairs out of warranty Aus/NZ

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.

meloccom

Moderator Aus/NZ
Feb 11, 2008
Sydney Australia
So I’ve had my first out of warranty battery repair experience on my 2014 Model S 85.
I went to the recent TOCA event at Silo’s Estate that is also the Berry Supercharger location. I used the Supercharger location to generate the navigation. About 15 minutes from the destination the car threw an error saying “Vehicle may not restart”.
At Berry, I turned the car off and restarted it, and it went through a check process that took a couple of minutes but thankfully it passed.
I logged a service call and it went in to Alexandria yesterday and they replaced the battery heater, 3 way valve and 4 way valve. Total came to just over $2000
I used the part numbers to find pictures of the relevant parts online.
Battery Heater, Model S - Electrical Battery Heater
3 way valve Model S - Coolant 3-Way Valve (NEW)
and 4 way valve Model S / Model X - Valve 4-Way (NEW)
So it wasn’t the big battery failure and hopefully it will make my traction battery last longer as they mentioned that one of the valves were “sweating“ and no battery needs any amount of water on the inside.

Edit. Can't get pictures to attach right now, so have changed to links from a third party site.

Last edited:
So I’ve had my first out of warranty battery repair experience on my 2014 Model S 85.
I went to the recent TOCA event at Silo’s Estate that is also the Berry Supercharger location. I used the Supercharger location to generate the navigation. About 15 minutes from the destination the car threw an error saying “Vehicle may not restart”.
At Berry, I turned the car off and restarted it, and it went through a check process that took a couple of minutes but thankfully it passed.
I logged a service call and it went in to Alexandria yesterday and they replaced the battery heater, 3 way valve and 4 way valve. Total came to just over $2000
So it wasn’t the big battery failure and hopefully it will make my traction battery last longer as they mentioned that one of the valves were “sweating“ and no battery needs any amount of water on the inside.

Edit. Can't get pictures to attach right now, so have changed to links from a third party site.
I had the same issue back in August in Northern NSW (4000kms from home), thanks to great service from Tesla support and their north Brisbane and Gold Coast service centres the car was back on the road in less than a week so we could drive back across the country.

9 years…according to uninformed newspaper commenters you should have replaced the battery 3 times by now and taken the car to landfill between fires.
But more seriously my last petrol car (pre my ‘95 tesla) had out of warranty engine repairs at 105,000km that cost me more than $2000, and that thing cost over $1000 per year to service.

I had the same issue back in August in Northern NSW (4000kms from home), thanks to great service from Tesla support and their north Brisbane and Gold Coast service centres the car was back on the road in less than a week so we could drive back across the country.
Given all the "rumors" about early Model S battery failures, I was hoping we could record some of the actual experiences people have had in Australia\NZ. From what I can get off the internet it seems Tesla made some changes to the battery design in late 2014 that resolved some of the early failures and given that there was a largeish technical revision with the introduction of Autopilot I'm hoping those battery changes happened at the same time. Now that I can't upgrade to a new Model S, I'm looking at making this one last a bit longer and the last time I asked Tesla Service they couldn't give me even a ballpark figure for a battery replacement, I'm guessing in the region of Au$20-25,000. Do others have more information?

Given all the "rumors" about early Model S battery failures, I was hoping we could record some of the actual experiences people have had in Australia\NZ. From what I can get off the internet it seems Tesla made some changes to the battery design in late 2014 that resolved some of the early failures and given that there was a largeish technical revision with the introduction of Autopilot I'm hoping those battery changes happened at the same time. Now that I can't upgrade to a new Model S, I'm looking at making this one last a bit longer and the last time I asked Tesla Service they couldn't give me even a ballpark figure for a battery replacement, I'm guessing in the region of Au$20-25,000. Do others have more information?
From the experiences I’ve seen in North American and Euro vehicles I’ve estimated $20k for a refurbished pack and $28k for a new pack of one is available at the time.

• Informative
Reactions: meloccom
My understanding at the time was that if you have a radar you have the better battery