Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Model S Accident/Fire

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Lol.. or delete it.. I just cross posted it.. :)

Battery is almost certainly designed to vent to the front of the vehicle. There is no other safe place for it to vent since there might be kids in the rear.

The "liquid" rolling downhill might just be burning asphalt from the intense heat.

- - - Updated - - -

No particularly strong evidence of a crash either. The damage to the front end might just be melted components.

Last edited by a moderator:
Very small silver lining: in the video they recognized within 30 seconds what type of vehicle it was, including knowing the brand name.

- - - Updated - - -

AnotherShotAround25sMark.png

- - - Updated - - -

Interpretations of the footage...

Black (possibly blue, but I think black).
19" wheels.
No spoiler.
Body colored roof (I think).

Fire doesn't look like it has reached the main battery pack. In fact, the driver's front tire doesn't seem to be cooking either.

Fire clearly started by a short seller (sarcasm)

Seriously though, what are the odds of a random fire occurring in 10,000 cars that have been on the road an average < 6 months? Maybe Tesla can do just one big recall instead of a bunch of little ones (door handles, etc.). The video shows a bright flash of light, was that the 12V? I know they had a bad batch of 12Vs, but were just replacing them as people came in for servicing other issues.

Fire clearly started by a short seller (sarcasm)

Seriously though, what are the odds of a random fire occurring in 10,000 cars that have been on the road an average < 6 months? Maybe Tesla can do just one big recall instead of a bunch of little ones (door handles, etc.). The video shows a bright flash of light, was that the 12V? I know they had a bad batch of 12Vs, but were just replacing them as people came in for servicing other issues.
(1) You're assuming there is an issue with the car.
(2) You're assuming that alleged issue would be recall class.

Both from very little data.

When you have a product undergoing a stream of continuous refinements "one big rollout" doesn't work. Some would argue firmware updates have, for most of us, been following the "one big rollout" model and it's becoming -- frankly -- annoying for those that want the big ticket features (vampire load redux) more quickly.

To me both front wheels look like they are pointed to the center of the car like it crashed into something and the hood looks like it was smashed too. The burning liquid could be the molten plastic nosecone. It will be nice when a full report comes out, all we can do is speculate at this point.

To me both front wheels look like they are pointed to the center of the car like it crashed into something and the hood looks like it was smashed too. The burning liquid could be the molten plastic nosecone. It will be nice when a full report comes out, all we can do is speculate at this point.

If you watch the video, seems clear it wasn't a crash.

1. No other vehicles visible
2. No collision debris visible
3. No air bags visible
4. No ambulance visible

What worries me is I don't see a second vehicle nor any kind of possible obstacle..... also it doesn't look like a high speed portion of road..... so any impact wouldn't have been that intense.

You would be surprised how much damage a 30-40 mph crash can do.

Probably dozens of ICE cars were burning at the same moment, but the press is going to be all over it. I can feel the spin coming.

You would be surprised how much damage a 30-40 mph crash can do.

Probably dozens of ICE cars were burning at the same moment, but the press is going to be all over it. I can feel the spin coming.

+1

But I think it's wrong to dismiss this as a battery fire. The pack is designed to vent, and the vents are almost certainly all in the front. With a cascading failure the energy would be enough to be shooting flame out of the front like a blowtorch, which would eventually involve the entire front end.

Last edited:
I am no fire expert. But the fire really does look like it was caused by something that was housed inside the frunk. I just don't see how the sides could be engulfed like that as well as the top and inner section. It looks like a canister of gas that exploded upon collision.

Even if its not, I suppose its a good warning not to leave gas in the front.

There have been a couple playful posts about putting a gas powered generator in the frunk as a range extender - maybe someone took that seriously!

I'm no fireman, but the fire seems to be fueled by more than I'd expect in the front end. Could well be something in the frunk. Are the steering and brake fluids flammable once hot enough?

I still think there could have been a collision. Watching the video it almost appears that the Tesla had pulled into the intersection and perhaps was T-boned with a glancing blow enough to turn it slightly as it's positioned in the video. We can't see the 'down the road' part at all, so there may be another vehicle, an ambulance, etc. that just isn't shown just out of the frame. That said, it's odd how it's just the front end burning. Unless the guy was carrying some sort of accelerate it's hard to imagine what would be causing flames that big, certainly not just the nose cone. I do hope the owner, or Tesla or someone posts up what was actually found here.