Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Model S and X dimensions living in London

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
hello chaps
I live in London and conscious streets are narrow especially with street parking.

Tesla cars are not necessarily small especially in width.

Can you share your experience of driving, parking and living in London with a Tesla

Thanks

I have an S and yes, it is wide and long, but manageable. I do avoid width restrictions wherever possible, especially the 6' 6" ones although with care they are passable. The X is bigger and some London bridges are very problematic I believe, certainly I've read Putney Bridge is to be avoided, and also trying to get to the Superchargers near Tower Bridge can be an issue. I've not tried either to can't be any more specific.

Not in London but the weight of the X means you can't go over Marlow Bridge, so not just width that needs to be borne in mind.

Whilst I was waiting for the car (and what a Long Wait it is!) I did compare my then car's width (Lexus NX) to the Tesla and did wonder whether I'd made a mistake. In reality if you are careful and don't try and take turns too tight it's fine.

Tower bridge supercharger are a
Challenge. Not impossible but really tricky. Chelsea bridge also is a bit of nightmare when headed south to north. I avoid it after scratching a wheel on the 6.6. Other than that life in London is ok. If you have a home place to charge that is. For me (in vauxhall) it would have been tough without my home charge point.

It's fine, as long as you have decent and secure parking at home. Agreed about Chelsea Bridge - just take Battersea bridge instead if you can. The Tower Bridge supercharger is quite fiddly to get to, but certainly not impossible. You can always pop a bit further along to Royal Victora Docks if you don't want to risk it.

Avoid the 6'6" width restrictions, these guys are braver than I am.

On that tip: I do wish the sat nav had an idea of width. Other than the aforementioned bridge, I wouldn't say London is any trickier than elsewhere in terms of width and parking; although make sure you can parallel park; - the automatic parking works very rarely, and isn't quick enough anyway. Be sure to register your car for the congestion charge exemption too - it's not automatically exempt and there's a 10 quid one off fee or something (I can't really remember - but definitely make sure you do it!)

@Cornish85D - I'd have thought you could always pop along to Waitrose or Sainsbury's and plug into one of the billion or so chargepoints there!!! :)

Thanks chaps. Used to live in East London till 2010 and then moved in Ealing. Don't really adventure anymore to tower bridge by car
Will charge at Westfield and then probably install a commando plug (£80ish) in the shed which I can access to the back garden. Can't access the grant as I don't have a drive in

Whats the tightest width restriction anyone has been through with a X?

Worried about going through 7' and worried about fitting through Westfield (Stratford) car parking...

My X5 is tight into Westfield Stratford at the moment.

Thanks guys. I am now thinking to order an X rather than an S given we have two small kids one of which is 9 months - these falcon wings will save my back in the next 4-5 years

I am not thinking to get autopilot as I drive 4-5k m per year and mainly in London. I can always add it later on if I plan a road trip to mid Italy next summer. I like the auto parking feature but I read it's still patchy and does not work most of the times.

Can I ask if the Tesla comes with cruise control standard even if you don't order autopilot?

the s is tight at the tower bridge chargers watch out for the curbs at the barrier very tight and on a turn, ive found most of london is ok ,
if you want a real challenge go to the back streets of paris it stressed me to the limit i wont do that again..
and if you use the chanell tunnel make sure you tell them its for a high vehicle you will get a wider train (the other has 2" clearance both sides try driving for 300metres with no deviation) you WILL have scratched rims and chunked tyres..

she needs to be sold in

Other than size anything that she isn't "sold in" on?

My wife isn't mad about the size (fine for driving, she doesn't like it for parking multi-story / train station etc.

She also doesn't want to be bothered with Supercharging ... and yet its saved her over 3 hours in the last 12 months refuelling an ICE ... so she won't use it on > 200 mile trip (well ... unless I'm driving of course ...)

My wife has always been the environmental champion of the family and she likes Tesla. However she is concerned that she will drive an expensive car and she always hated Big bulky Chelsea tractors. Indeed SUVs have never been an option in our family although she recognises the practicality. So far we have been talking about Model S which she booked me for a test drive 2 years ago as a surprise. Model X she has never been inside or seen live and it would scare the s**t out of her considering we live in a terrace and will have to parallel park most of the time that beast. I am not getting autopilot and self
parking by the way - still beta and read the latter is pretty useless

she is concerned that she will drive an expensive car and she always hated Big bulky Chelsea tractors

We're in the same boat. Never felt the need to pay for an expensive car, just had vehicles that will get us from A-to-B, although we have favoured things with some Umph.

Driving around in an expensive motor was a concern, prior to purchase, but not something we thing about now. All in all the driving experience seems, to me, so superior to ICE that there is no comparison. We like to think we are Eco warriors (Passive House, Solar PV & Thermal, Bio-mass boiler, etc.) so happy to be driving electric for that reason too. And it goes like stink!

For longer journeys I wouldn't be without AP. I find it really surprising how much more refreshed I arrive - I never though tootling along the motorway was a tiring exercise,but comparing before-AP and after its clear to me that there is a huge benefit. But if all my driving was in-town I'm not sure I would justify the cost. Fully-autonomous, even in town ... Yup, I'd pay for that.