Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Model S as a first car

Is Model S your first car?

• Total voters
This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
My first car was a 1952 Dodge with a 2 speed Gyromatic semi-automatic transmission. Got me back and forth from Colorado to North Carolina each year for college, but I did have to rebuild the engine in the campus parking lot my junior year. I still remember tripping over the pistons in my dorm room that winter....but I drove that puppy all the way thru medical school and my first two years of practice. Even made it to the top of Mt Evans and Pikes Peak several times. Ate a lot of Top Ramen back them -- 26 cents a pack!

Last edited:
No. My first car was a 1941 Ford with bald tires and a slipping clutch--I paid $20 for that car.

Since then I've owned many dozens of cars, including now extinct DeSotos, Pontiacs and Oldsmobiles. Also Fords, Buicks, Hondas, Toyotas--even a small fleet of Chevy Corvairs. Currently I have six Cadillacs (two 1949 Fleetwoods, two 1949 Coupe Devilles, a 1952 Fleetwood and a 1958 Eldorado Brougham), eight Chrysler Imperials (a 1951 2-dr hardtop, a 1951 convertible, four 1956 Southampton 4-dr hardtops, two 1956 sedans) and a 2008 Lexus LS 460 which will be sold (sniff, sniff) when I take delivery of Tessie in two weeks.

So no, she is not my first car.

The S was a first of a lot of things... but not my very first vehicle.

1) 2002 Mazda Protege 5 (5 Door hatch) - $20K
2) 2010 Hyundai Genesis Coupe V6 (2 Door Coupe) - $32K
3) 2013 Tesla Model S P85 (5 Door Hatch) - $121K (Canadian after taxes and everything)

It was however the first of the following

- First EV
- First car ive purchased over the $50K CAD mark (which i thought to be the absolute upper most limit of any future vehicle)
- First car in my family to ever be over $50K CAD
- First car in my family to be paid off in less than 1 year
- First car ive bought without a test drive
- First car ive bought without seeing one in real life until mine came off the truck
- First car to have Nav (I think in my whole family too)
- First car to have been ordered on the internet
- First American made car haha

I've had my car for about a month and thought I should post an update.

First, my G+ posts about delivery and the first cleaning. Sorry if I don't post it all separately here, I prefer to make one post to the largest desired crowd and point everyone else to it.

Delivery day:
https://plus.google.com/118433700808427873827/posts/ey2KLzVwM6n

More pictures and a video of the first drive in the parking lot:
https://plus.google.com/118433700808427873827/posts/K5uk4H8hcBs

All the new car craziness is pretty much squared away, the loan and insurance is on auto-pay and got my plate and a bunch of cleaning supplies. Owning and driving it has been an easier adjustment than I was expecting. After the years of closely following Tesla and researching Model S, just about everything was as expected and nothing really surprised me, not even the acceleration (though still very thrilling). I think from day one, I was more comfortable driving it than any of the other cars I had been driving and felt like I was born to drive it, like going from crappy cars to a normal car. That may be partly why I can't say I had the Tesla grin, but I'm convinced I'm also half Vulcan.

I've passively been keeping an eye out for random people staring at my car and had three definite ones (one of them in a Volt) who were stopped just ahead of me in the lane to the right and looked back. I still feel awkward when that happens, not knowing how to respond especially when they make some kind of gesture. One other pulled up nearby in the Meijer parking lot and stared as me and my parents got out. I've had a few Tesla moments to show off the car, though so far they have only been with people I know.

Anyway, I'm looking forward to the future, including driving home in traffic today. :)

My Tesla is my first car.

I moved to the US to go to grad school in 2006. Since I was living in NYC, I never needed a car there. I was always a strong opponent of using fossil fuels, and always thought anyone who could buy a non-gas car should buy one. Although I had never owned a car before, and had barely ever even driven one (except driving rental cars when I went on a few road trips after moving here, and getting my first drivers license at the age of 24), I always wanted that when I get a car, it should be a BMW. I desperately hoping that BMW would come out with a fully electric car by the time I graduated. I was following Tesla from the beginning, but did not even consider getting one until around 2012 when the time for the first deliveries came. At that time, I was hoping that Tesla might come up with some special student offer :tongue:. Of course I knew it was highly unlikely. When the delayed deliveries actually happened, and I read all those praises in five star reviews, it made me want to get the car more and more. I still didn't think it was possible though.

In early 2013, while still in school, I finally gathered the courage to send an email to Tesla from the website, asking them how I can own a car being a student, and having very little money. I was pretty sure there was no way, but by some heavenly miracle, if there was one, I did not want to miss it. If I could get one, I should - that was my rule. A few days later, I got a call from Tesla in California. I don't remember the name of the person I spoke with, but he said (apologetically) that they did not offer any discounts or special prices to anyone. He tried to convince me to make a reservation anyway :D. But there was no way I could go ahead at that time.

I got a job offer in March 2013, which is when I actually started really considering financial viability. After a month of deliberation, and lots and lots of discussions with family and friends, by June, I was just about convinced in my mind that it was doable. I graduated in July 2013, moved to California, and started working my first job in August. Since I did not have much prior driving experience, the plan was to drive rental cars for four months, and take the first two months to make my final decision. The four months would also allow me to save as much as I could. The aim was to make as big a down payment for the financing as possible. After another two months of intense deliberations and discussions, I finally made the decision to go ahead. If I could, I should - that was always the rule, and I could not break it.

I placed the order in October. That guaranteed a 2013 delivery to ensure I could get the tax rebates as early as possible. I saved money like crazy in the last four months of 2013. When I had moved to California from New York, I hadn't brought anything along, except my clothes. My Tesla was delivered right before Christmas. When I got my car, I was 29, had zero furniture in my apartment, and was sleeping on the floor on an air mattress :tongue:.

Life is not as crazy any more. I have enjoyed driving every single of the 7000+ miles this year, and do not regret my decision for a sec. And yes, my apartment is furnished now :smile:.

Wow, I can't imagine stretching that much to buy a car, as much as I love the Model S. I could afford a nicer car but I still currently drive a 2008 55hp Fiat Panda for my commute (I have a Suzuki 1250 Bandit motorcycle for having fun). 50 mpg with a gas engine is a convincing argument.

Pilot_51:

Wonderful story! I hope you are enjoying life with your Model S as much as I have enjoyed reading your story and looking at your delivery pics. You did not mention much about the financing terms that allowed you to purchase your Model S early and (hopefully) got you a few extra hours of sleep at night. Unless you are paying through the nose to finance your Model S, and by that I mean much higher interest rate that the sub-2% that many forum members have been able to achieve, I would urge you to NOT sell your TSLA stock, unless of course you need the "credit" to finance a home, or another big "basic" purchase.

you find the occasional post from people who will absolutely not consider financing of any kind no matter what the situation. people who will "bend over backwards" to save a few pennies (that yes, i know, i know add up over time) and frame the Title of their vehicle, their home, their property and pat themselves on the back.. then later in life lament the analogous "chronic and stubborny lingering back pain" that they can't seem to relieve. But how is this possible? I did EVERYTHING right.. er.. no sir... you didn't.

Don't be penny wise and pound foolish. There is no reason for you to be stuck at work for 12 hrs a day waiting on your brother for a ride when you have obviously made the prudent choices to be able to afford one. Sell the TSLA stock b/c you think the time has come to cash out on it as an investment. not because you want to frame the title and put it next to that rock star poster of Elon and Nikola ;)

My Tesla is my first car.

I moved to the US to go to grad school in 2006. Since I was living in NYC, I never needed a car there. I was always a strong opponent of using fossil fuels, and always thought anyone who could buy a non-gas car should buy one. Although I had never owned a car before, and had barely ever even driven one (except driving rental cars when I went on a few road trips after moving here, and getting my first drivers license at the age of 24), I always wanted that when I get a car, it should be a BMW. I desperately hoping that BMW would come out with a fully electric car by the time I graduated. I was following Tesla from the beginning, but did not even consider getting one until around 2012 when the time for the first deliveries came. At that time, I was hoping that Tesla might come up with some special student offer :tongue:. Of course I knew it was highly unlikely. When the delayed deliveries actually happened, and I read all those praises in five star reviews, it made me want to get the car more and more. I still didn't think it was possible though.

In early 2013, while still in school, I finally gathered the courage to send an email to Tesla from the website, asking them how I can own a car being a student, and having very little money. I was pretty sure there was no way, but by some heavenly miracle, if there was one, I did not want to miss it. If I could get one, I should - that was my rule. A few days later, I got a call from Tesla in California. I don't remember the name of the person I spoke with, but he said (apologetically) that they did not offer any discounts or special prices to anyone. He tried to convince me to make a reservation anyway :biggrin:. But there was no way I could go ahead at that time.

I got a job offer in March 2013, which is when I actually started really considering financial viability. After a month of deliberation, and lots and lots of discussions with family and friends, by June, I was just about convinced in my mind that it was doable. I graduated in July 2013, moved to California, and started working my first job in August. Since I did not have much prior driving experience, the plan was to drive rental cars for four months, and take the first two months to make my final decision. The four months would also allow me to save as much as I could. The aim was to make as big a down payment for the financing as possible. After another two months of intense deliberations and discussions, I finally made the decision to go ahead. If I could, I should - that was always the rule, and I could not break it.

I placed the order in October. That guaranteed a 2013 delivery to ensure I could get the tax rebates as early as possible. I saved money like crazy in the last four months of 2013. When I had moved to California from New York, I hadn't brought anything along, except my clothes. My Tesla was delivered right before Christmas. When I got my car, I was 29, had zero furniture in my apartment, and was sleeping on the floor on an air mattress :tongue:.

Life is not as crazy any more. I have enjoyed driving every single of the 7000+ miles this year, and do not regret my decision for a sec. And yes, my apartment is furnished now :smile:.
Awesome story, I'm glad it worked out for you. Thanks for sharing!
Similarly, I also didn't have a lot of driving experience, mostly because of the carpooling and my lack of needing to go places myself when I could take a car. The two(ish) months I initially drove to work was easily the most consistent daily driving I ever did. For my first job, I worked for the same company as my brother and he did most of the driving, since he was more comfortable with the drive and was hired there before me and lost it after.

Wonderful story! I hope you are enjoying life with your Model S as much as I have enjoyed reading your story and looking at your delivery pics. You did not mention much about the financing terms that allowed you to purchase your Model S early and (hopefully) got you a few extra hours of sleep at night. Unless you are paying through the nose to finance your Model S, and by that I mean much higher interest rate that the sub-2% that many forum members have been able to achieve, I would urge you to NOT sell your TSLA stock, unless of course you need the "credit" to finance a home, or another big "basic" purchase.
I didn't have a credit report and, to keep things simple, decided go with my current credit union instead of shopping around. So, I got a somewhat high rate of 3.97%. However, I have the option of updating it twice during the loan, so it could end up cheaper than if I went with another bank/credit union. I put $40k down, or nearly all of my savings with a buffer of around $10k. I am paying it off as fast as possible, just a bit less than I was saving up (because Michigan no-fault insurance is stupid high, $415/month in my case) and over double the minimum, so the higher rate had effectively no impact on affordability, it just adds a month or two.
I have no plans for large purchases until after the loan is paid off. Living with my parents is working fine for now and it would probably take getting married for me to move out, which isn't on the horizon yet. My next major objective, if my outlook doesn't change much by then, is to get solar panels on the roof, which I expect would be somewhere around $10k for a suitable system with a battery.

On another note, I'll hit 1000 miles on Monday if I don't have too much unplanned driving over the weekend. :)