Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Model S - Auto Insurance

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I thought that I’d share my findings with you. In preparation of getting my S 60D I knew that my auto insurance bill would go up from my Prius. That’s life in the fast lane. First “your mileage may vary” depending on your driving record, credit rating, and all the other stuff that insurance companies look at. I have been insured with Travelers for many years and have always felt that I was getting a pretty good deal. I got quotes from Travelers, Progressive, GEICO, and Liberty Mutual. I couldn’t believe the spread. Again Travelers was good until I looked at Liberty Mutual. When I called my Travelers agent she said that she couldn’t compete with Liberty Mutual. I am talking about $500 a year less. The decision was obvious and I stopped getting quotes.

So what’s the take away here. If you haven’t checked your current auto insurance in awhile you might want to give Liberty Mutual a call. Mark Blanton was the agent that I dealt with. He was very professional and it was almost fun. Mark can be reached at 877-593-2197. I get no commercial return on this. I am just sharing with you information and a very good agent.

I hope that this information helps someone else in the club.

Thanks,

MacOnWheels

• Informative
Reactions: dehydratedH2O
I switched to Liberty Mutual as well from Geico. Geico, AllState and Farmers have very high premiums for the Tesla and they don't know the difference between the 60 from the P90D. Also, went with the GAP coverage from Alliant which reimburses you $500 in deductible in case of a claim (2x a year per vehicle).
Excellent. Thanks for the info. I currently have Gieco.. .

My research for MS insurance found that Automobile Club of Southern CA (AAA) has very high rates for this vehicle, and Ameriprise through CostCo is much lower cost.

I have AAA now, and am not looking forward to getting a quote for a Tesla. They are currently the lowest cost provider for us right now (I just shopped around at my 1 year renewal).

Have you had to make a claim with Ameriprise yet? The only thing I worry about a company I don't recognize is how easy it is to make claims. When I was involved in a three car accident in my Volt a year ago, it happened late Friday night. I was able to get an agent from AAA on the phone immediately to report the accident and they were great through the whole process. The folks in the car in front of me had some other no-name insurance and spent over 1 hour on hold before they ever got to talk to someone. They were very unhappy with the service.

I've had Geico for years, dating back to when I was a government employee, and i was absolutely floored by how much higher they were than anyone else.

Liberty Mutual, who I have for homeowners, still came in fairly high as well. I'm looking at Elephant right now, as they've got far and away the best rates. Has anyone else worked with them before?

I've had Geico for years, dating back to when I was a government employee, and i was absolutely floored by how much higher they were than anyone else.

Liberty Mutual, who I have for homeowners, still came in fairly high as well. I'm looking at Elephant right now, as they've got far and away the best rates. Has anyone else worked with them before?

I looked at Elephant as well but some of their marketing practices made me question their business. I made the mistake of providing my phone number on a quote and I was flooded with calls for a few weeks. Literally, 3-4 calls every day and no voice message. Made me wary about how their claim processing would work as well.

I would look at combining primary home and auto with Liberty. After bundling my primary and rentals, I'm paying about half the premium that I used to before with Geico/Travelers/AllState.

I thought that I’d share my findings with you. In preparation of getting my S 60D I knew that my auto insurance bill would go up from my Prius. That’s life in the fast lane. First “your mileage may vary” depending on your driving record, credit rating, and all the other stuff that insurance companies look at. I have been insured with Travelers for many years and have always felt that I was getting a pretty good deal. I got quotes from Travelers, Progressive, GEICO, and Liberty Mutual. I couldn’t believe the spread. Again Travelers was good until I looked at Liberty Mutual. When I called my Travelers agent she said that she couldn’t compete with Liberty Mutual. I am talking about $500 a year less. The decision was obvious and I stopped getting quotes.

So what’s the take away here. If you haven’t checked your current auto insurance in awhile you might want to give Liberty Mutual a call. Mark Blanton was the agent that I dealt with. He was very professional and it was almost fun. Mark can be reached at 877-593-2197. I get no commercial return on this. I am just sharing with you information and a very good agent.

I hope that this information helps someone else in the club.

Thanks,

MacOnWheels
Thank you very much for posting this just before delivery of my car. I was shopping around and almost decidd to go with Nationwide. After your post i checked with Liberty and i saved more than $800 per year premium.

I just posted the following on another thread, but thought it might be pertinent here, as well. The fact that Alliant will pay for the deductible does not sway my opinion that their $400 charge for GAP insurance is WAY out of line.

The Alliant GAP coverage is a TERRIBLE deal, IMHO. I was pressured by the saleswoman to buy it without reading the policy while I was driving and unable to do so. She even falsely claimed that I would not be able to read the policy unless I purchased it. My mother may have given birth to a funny looking son, but not a stupid one. I then called my own insurance agent and was told that GAP coverage is only needed for three years, after which time the amount owed will exceed the value of the car. I had borrowed the full cost of the car, including sales tax, less the $2,500 deposit (at 1.49% for 60 months). The total cost for what Alliant wanted to charge me $399 was only $8 per YEAR for three years. No mileage limit. Glad I did not cave in to her pressure over the phone before I could check.

Just to add another datapoint here, Geico came in the lowest for me. And the cost difference between a new Tesla and a 10-year old car was very very minor (I don't remember anymore, I want to say $50/year)

If you have any prior military service or living parent or grandparent who served (so you can get a derivative number) USAA usually can beat anyone. Going from a 2010 Prius to a MS90D with 300/500, limits with all the additions cost me $200 per year more

Yep. USAA is beating every other quote I get by THOUSANDS per year, although I have one wreck with injuries on my record, so most insurers hate me.

i just signed to get insurance through my existing provider Farmers. Farmers was lower than Liberty by $300/yr but more than Allied /Nationwide by $80/yr. Farmers also lowered my Prius 2010 by $200/yr for multi car discount.

But Wawanesa in SD was the cheapest by far at just over $1000/yr and $400/yr for the Prius. But WARNING, if you plan to drive for business, do not mention this! They dont insure cars used for business or titles that have a business name attached to registration.

I tried to take my business name off the lease and my DS said after checking, she confirmed theres nothing that can be done about changing the docs with Tesla, even though approval was done with personal credit anyways. Dumb move on my end, I should have checked before hand.

i just signed to get insurance through my existing provider Farmers. Farmers was lower than Liberty by $300/yr but more than Allied /Nationwide by $80/yr. Farmers also lowered my Prius 2010 by $200/yr for multi car discount.

But Wawanesa in SD was the cheapest by far at just over $1000/yr and $400/yr for the Prius. But WARNING, if you plan to drive for business, do not mention this! They dont insure cars used for business or titles that have a business name attached to registration.

I tried to take my business name off the lease and my DS said after checking, she confirmed theres nothing that can be done about changing the docs with Tesla, even though approval was done with personal credit anyways. Dumb move on my end, I should have checked before hand.

If you hide that information from the insurance company, do you think they will honor any claims? I don't think so.

If you hide that information from the insurance company, do you think they will honor any claims? I don't think so.

you're absolutely right. Although theres a difference between using it for commercial purpose such as vinyl wrap, logos etc all over it, moving purpose and such vs just a car you want to use for write off if you own your own business. I could have easily if I had known, just applied for the lease with my own name and had it insured the same, at the same time be able to write it off.