Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Model S - "Autopilot" Available in Competitors

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I just returned from a 2600 mile road trip in my 2014 P85D. The car drove 95% of the miles in Autosteer. I've learned to spot where the AP will likely have trouble and I need to be ready to take over, but even in these early days it's remarkably capable, and it has gotten noticeably better since the 7.0 release date. I'll be even happier when the car learns not to dive toward random highway exits.

not possible in NYC parking garages

It can be done. I do it. This used to be a project, in terms of finding a place willing to work with you. Now, I believe this will make it substantially easier:

Check the plugshare map for Manhattan for a good starting place.

Will be interested to hear your experiences or challenges. Each neighborhood and each garage is different.

FWIW, autopilot is surprisingly effective (but certainly not 100% effective) even on very challenging spots like the FDR and West Side Highway. But I imagine the goal here is more hauling through the regional highways.

Looking for any perspectives on "autopilot" / lanekeeping/ adaptive cruise functionality in Tesla competitors.

I test-drove a Model S today with autopilot and absolutely loved the car, and in particular the autopilot feature. The car and autopilot exceeded very high expectations. That said, unfortunately I need to consider non-electric competitors due to my driving profile and very long length of typical commute. That same long commute makes the autopilot functions also very desirable, and dare I say "necessary", especially after experiencing Tesla.

I'm leaning heavily toward the Tesla, but want to make sure that I'm not missing anything non-electric that may be available with advanced lanekeeping and adaptive cruise functions. From what I can tell, the Tesla does a much better job than anything I've found in research. My main priorities are autonomous "middle of the lane" keeping, including around gradual curves, and auto braking/accelerating in stop and go traffic.

Does anything else on the market come close? Anything rumored to arrive in the next few months?

Since no one else really emphasized this, if money is at all a factor, note that if you drive *a lot*, you are going to save *a lot* in operation costs ("fuel" and maintenance), and you will also probably save a ton of time (not going to the gas station, for an oil change, etc). While longer commutes may mean you need to be a bit more cautious than others, and plan ahead, the biggest financial and time savings are for people with such commutes.

Additionally, if you are driving that much, I imagine you'd greatly appreciate the smooth and quiet ride, and also the various tech benefits of a Model S.

In other words, the longer the commute, the more sensible I think a Model S is. If you get one and then have to rent another car once in awhile, I think you will be very thankful you chose an S.

It can be done. I do it. This used to be a project, in terms of finding a place willing to work with you. Now, I believe this will make it substantially easier:

Check the plugshare map for Manhattan for a good starting place.

Will be interested to hear your experiences or challenges. Each neighborhood and each garage is different.

FWIW, autopilot is surprisingly effective (but certainly not 100% effective) even on very challenging spots like the FDR and West Side Highway. But I imagine the goal here is more hauling through the regional highways.

yea i know very well about plugshare and parking garages in NYC.

i used to park in NYC but don't do it anymore. most garages will upcharge you for oversized vehicle or special handling, or they will just flat out say no. or they will upcharge you twice, first for oversized or luxury, and another upcharge for plugging you in. i remember one garage telling me that it would be $430/month to park. then he asked what car I had. and his response was, "oh, well its a tesla so $850/month then". or they want a bigger tip because of what you drive. yea, thats how it is here.

in all the garages in NY, I think only 7 or so are self park and none of those have chargers. so you have to use a valet. and trust me you dont want to give a valet keys to your car. nor do you want to be parking in NYC garages anyway - the valets intentionally bump cars to pack them as close as possible. (I've personally watched them do this many many times as I've gown down to the lower levels of their garages to get crap out of my car and watched the valets park other cars). plus some of the nyc garage chargers dont even work. i've tried a lot of garages in NYC, and I cannot recommend any of them. after years of this and trying out many different options and garages, my best recommendation is parking outside the city now and taking the train in. I do not recommend driving and parking in NYC or trying to find a legit trustworthy parking garage (because there aren't any).

yea i know very well about plugshare and parking garages in NYC.

i used to park in NYC but don't do it anymore. most garages will upcharge you for oversized vehicle or special handling, or they will just flat out say no. or they will upcharge you twice, first for oversized or luxury, and another upcharge for plugging you in. i remember one garage telling me that it would be $430/month to park. then he asked what car I had. and his response was, "oh, well its a tesla so $850/month then". or they want a bigger tip because of what you drive. yea, thats how it is here.

in all the garages in NY, I think only 7 or so are self park and none of those have chargers. so you have to use a valet. and trust me you dont want to give a valet keys to your car. nor do you want to be parking in NYC garages anyway - the valets intentionally bump cars to pack them as close as possible. (I've personally watched them do this many many times as I've gown down to the lower levels of their garages to get crap out of my car and watched the valets park other cars). plus some of the nyc garage chargers dont even work. i've tried a lot of garages in NYC, and I cannot recommend any of them. after years of this and trying out many different options and garages, my best recommendation is parking outside the city now and taking the train in. I do not recommend driving and parking in NYC or trying to find a legit trustworthy parking garage (because there aren't any).

I completely get where you're coming from. Some operators are horrible - to do business with and at their business (bumping, etc). I can see where it would turn anyone off to trying to park in the city.

I just stuck with it, read reviews, and shopped around. I've found places I'm happy with. In the better garages, I see Maseratis and Ferraris and Land Rovers all around, all looking pristine, reviewers seem happy, the crew acts like professionals, and you can pay them online. Knock on wood, so far not so much as a scratch on my car, and I commute every day.

It just runs the whole gamut. Many places, I wouldn't even pull in the ramp.

It's easier than it used to be. If a place already has chargers, they usually have a price published and it's not like negotiating a peace treaty. Usually. Of course it is NYC so that's all strictly relative. :smile: I'm not saying this is anything like a commute in the suburbs, just that I have got it to a place where I'm happy with it.