Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Model S battery range calculation

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Hello all
2017 75 D 25k Miles

I charge my battery to 230 miles. Drive 100 miles and the battery reports 90 miles remaining.
Where did the 40 miles go?

Average of 285 wh/mile over last 10K
set on rated distance
range mode ON

it has been hot so climate control has been working. What is the battery remaining calculator based on? Is the value based on a measure of the battery charge against a standard without considering aux usage? That would be a design flaw. It would be an easy thing to measure aux usage and adjust miles remaining.

It always seems to be incorrect on a long trip this could be really inconvenient.

Hello all
2017 75 D 25k Miles

I charge my battery to 230 miles. Drive 100 miles and the battery reports 90 miles remaining.
Where did the 40 miles go?

Average of 285 wh/mile over last 10K

The only thing that matters is your wh/mi over those 100 miles. What was it?

The range display is the current measured power in the pack divided by a constant wh/mi figure used in the EPA ratings. As the saying goes, “your mileage may vary”.

I have a Toyota Highlander that tells me every time I fill up I have 385 miles of range. Oddly enough, I rarely if ever get 300.

Best solution to this problem? Switch your display from miles remaining to percentage and watch your stress melt away.

On long trips, use the nav and charge where it tells you to. It’s surprisingly accurate.

Your battery doesn’t store “miles”. It stores energy. The miles reported is based on driving the EPA test cycle. Drive faster than that, and your energy usage goes up exponentially. The same thing happens in gas cars. Remember “Your mileage may vary”?

Read the dozens of threads here on what causes increased energy consumption. The first three on the list are speed, speed, and speed.