Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Model S blinking Morse code with headlights when parked?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.

whitex

Sep 30, 2015
Seattle area, WA
I happen to be walking in the garage last night and I noticed that our newest Tesla (2018 MS) was blinking its headlights. Noone was controlling via the app (late night) so I was a little worried the car was being hacked? So went in and checked out security camera footage, and apparently it is blinking in Morse Code, first the right headlight "A" and then left headlight "A". Any hacker groups out there with initials AA? Or is this a known regression of Tesla software (back in early days ~2012/2013 Teslas used to be "possessed" when parked, especially while applying updates (and no, the blinking MS was not applying updates at the time). Here is a video of this. Any ideas?

• Informative
Reactions: willow_hiller
Any more details you can give @whitex and @BigBas ?

For both of you it seems like it happened in the middle of the night? (even though your timezones are approximately 9 hours different, so this could be a clue that the car is waiting until nighttime regardless of timezone)

Any updates happen around when you noticed the blinking? Maybe this is some sort of easter egg where the car gets woken up in the middle of the night (by a software update downloading, or another command from the mothership), and it gets "sleepy eyes" or something like that.

Any more details you can give @whitex and @BigBas ?

For both of you it seems like it happened in the middle of the night? (even though your timezones are approximately 9 hours different, so this could be a clue that the car is waiting until nighttime regardless of timezone)

Any updates happen around when you noticed the blinking? Maybe this is some sort of easter egg where the car gets woken up in the middle of the night (by a software update downloading, or another command from the mothership), and it gets "sleepy eyes" or something like that.

I can reproduce this precisely.
Every time I open the Tesla App in my phone, the car wakes up (when you hear the clicking sounds), that is the time the light start blinking once. When the car sleeps again, and you wake it up (by opening the app for example, but also by unlocking with the Fob), the blinking sequence starts (once).

Software 2019.28.2
Model S Mid-2018

I can reproduce this precisely.
Every time I open the Tesla App in my phone, the car wakes up (when you hear the clicking sounds), that is the time the light start blinking once. When the car sleeps again, and you wake it up (by opening the app for example, but also by unlocking with the Fob), the blinking sequence starts (once).

Software 2019.28.2
Model S Mid-2018

I noticed this as well a couple nights ago with 28.2. Opening the app flashes the headlights (same as if you tap the "flash lights" button in the app).