Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Model S Body damage -

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
My 3 month old S90D with 2800 miles. So sad.
I was in park waiting for interior detail shop. Worker in a jeep went bezerk, backed into me full power. photos below. hood, bumper, lights, whole frunk, all done for.
Can anyone tell if I expect a total loss vs five figure repair bill?
If a loss would my free supercharging transfer to a new 100D?
If not a total loss, as an owner can we not be concerned that repair of these types of damages can still impact AP2 technology and computers and sensors etc? ...or be repaired and not impact warranty coverage?

Looks like the detail shop''s claim adjuster will send to a Service King in Rochester in next day or two.

Attachments

• IMG-3289.JPG
    IMG-3289.JPG
    460.2 KB · Views: 164
  • IMG-3291.JPG
    IMG-3291.JPG
    562.1 KB · Views: 139
  • IMG-3292.JPG
    IMG-3292.JPG
    509.8 KB · Views: 139
  • IMG-3294.JPG
    IMG-3294.JPG
    536.1 KB · Views: 133
That SUCKS!!!! I certainly hope the driver was cited for personal property damage...police report?

As the front is an "impact/crumple zone", the damage is expected and just might look worse than actual.

From the pictures posted, I don't see enough damage to warrant "total loss", but the theme I keep reading about is with respect to availability of parts.

Again, really sorry for your situation. Suggest you maintain extremely detailed records throughout the process

If a loss would my free supercharging transfer to a new 100D?

Referral Program
Model S and Model X: Free Unlimited Supercharging
Owners can give five friends free, unlimited Supercharging with the purchase of a new Model S or Model X. Referral orders placed before October 31, 2017 will also receive a $1,000 purchase credit. Referral orders placed after October 31st, 2017 will still receive free unlimited Supercharging, but not the purchase credit.

Use your code and you should get it.

I wouldn’t really worry too much about autopilot. The front bumper has ultrasonic sensors and the radar, but neither of those really need super accurate alignment. The computers are inside the car under the dashboard.

You also shouldn’t have any warranty concerns as long as the repairs are done at a Tesla approved body shop.

You also might want to look into a diminished value claim against the detailer or their insurance carrier. Given that your car will be worth less now that it has been in an accident you can make a claim to recover an extra amount to cover those losses. There are a number of threads here on the topic if you search for them.

• Love
Reactions: MP3Mike and dmc77
I wouldn’t really worry too much about autopilot. The front bumper has ultrasonic sensors and the radar, but neither of those really need super accurate alignment. The computers are inside the car under the dashboard.

You also shouldn’t have any warranty concerns as long as the repairs are done at a Tesla approved body shop.

You also might want to look into a diminished value claim against the detailer or their insurance carrier. Given that your car will be worth less now that it has been in an accident you can make a claim to recover an extra amount to cover those losses. There are a number of threads here on the topic if you search for them.

Thanks for the "diminished value claim' term for searching. I need to research this as I am sure and have already purposed to the adjuster for the detail/wash company that is responsible that even if car looks new their is value lost and the title will be tarnished.
Due to that, I was hoping actually for a total loss, and get compensated with a new or showrood S100D, but even if repairs are even higher $20-40k it wont be a loss and NOW I am thinking thats ok since I'd lose my supercharging (of course, how would one value the loss of supercharging? - and I vaguely remember having the transferability of surpercharging convo on the phone prior to purchase but I am pretty sure he had nothing conclusive to offer).

Reactions: DC Autocraft
Your supercharging terms would be listed under your car on your tesla.com account page.

Below is what mine says, also for a S100D... To the best of my knowledge, there is no supercharging currently available that is tied to the owner. Regarding how to value, I guess it doesn't matter right now if it is totaled because it would be included in your new purchase if made before the end of the year. After that time, the used car market should start showing some difference in pricing between cars with and without supercharging. It will probably be regional as well. As for me, I've used supercharging a total of 3 times in 9 months. So I wouldn't pay much more for it. Especially if it didn't transfer to the new owner and somehow help the future car value.

---
Supercharging
You have free, unlimited Supercharging for your current Tesla vehicle as well as any new Model S or Model X purchased before December 31, 2017. If you choose to sell your current Tesla, free Supercharging will not transfer to the next owner. Also, up to five friends you refer will also receive free Supercharging. Any Supercharging payments made have been automatically refunded. Read our Supercharging terms.

Thanks for the "diminished value claim' term for searching. I need to research this as I am sure and have already purposed to the adjuster for the detail/wash company that is responsible that even if car looks new their is value lost and the title will be tarnished.
Due to that, I was hoping actually for a total loss, and get compensated with a new or showrood S100D, but even if repairs are even higher $20-40k it wont be a loss and NOW I am thinking thats ok since I'd lose my supercharging (of course, how would one value the loss of supercharging? - and I vaguely remember having the transferability of surpercharging convo on the phone prior to purchase but I am pretty sure he had nothing conclusive to offer).

It's perfectly acceptable, and typically preferred, to wait until the repairs are complete before submitting a diminished value claim. This is because the final cost of the repair is a factor in creating the diminished value appraisal, which determines the amount of your claim. Until then, it's probably best not even mentioned. Disclosure: I successfully pursued a >$5000 diminished value claim against Progressive Insurance, who is reportedly the most hostile towards diminished value claims. Our claim actually went to small claims court, where the jury awarded us the full amount of our diminished value appraisal.

• Informative
Reactions: arcus and ibdb
Damage looks more cosmetic than structural, so it's quite likely to be repaired.

I second (maybe third or more by now) the diminished value claim step in the process. After I was rear ended in my S while stopped for a red light, I submitted a diminished value claim after repairs had been completed. You'll need repairs completed for the adjuster to evaluate the quality of the repairs, which could affect the value of your car. Your state will likely have some information on their website about the process. In Washington state, it's here: How to file a diminished value claim after an accident | Washington State Office of the Insurance Commissioner

Thanks everybody.
Things are progressing and it appears the guilty party is cooperative. So that car went from the pound to the Service King in West Henreitta, NY (ROCHESTER, NY), they are the certified body repair for tesla all over I guess. Their man called me personally and was super nice and reassured me that he will get it back to new condition.

So as far as specifics in maxing out the DV claim, I assume the claim adjuster from the guilty party will eval, but If I want my own or bettter one, does that mean I have to arrange myself? Find other third party that does this sort of thing and take for inspection/review or records and repairs? Does Service King/Tesla certified body shop do this sort of thing? Am I better off seeking a DV from Tesla themselves? DO they do that sort of thing ( in reference to another thread where someone suggested finding out the trade in/FMV, as if the day before the accident, from Tesla).

Reactions: DC Autocraft
Thanks everybody.
Things are progressing and it appears the guilty party is cooperative. So that car went from the pound to the Service King in West Henreitta, NY (ROCHESTER, NY), they are the certified body repair for tesla all over I guess. Their man called me personally and was super nice and reassured me that he will get it back to new condition.

So as far as specifics in maxing out the DV claim, I assume the claim adjuster from the guilty party will eval, but If I want my own or bettter one, does that mean I have to arrange myself? Find other third party that does this sort of thing and take for inspection/review or records and repairs? Does Service King/Tesla certified body shop do this sort of thing? Am I better off seeking a DV from Tesla themselves? DO they do that sort of thing ( in reference to another thread where someone suggested finding out the trade in/FMV, as if the day before the accident, from Tesla).

Depending on the repair amount, you'll have a good idea of DV ranges. A good idea would be to call them and ask for a trade in value, then take the car to them when its fixed and ask for the same trade in value and disclose the accident/issue/repair. see what they say. The other insurance company will counter with a stupid low amount... the rest is up to you on how hard you fight.