Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Model S Cheap?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Okay so what’s the gig? Why is this 2022 Model S so cheap? I’m just wondering if this is where the market is, or if there may be something wrong with it. Just looking for opinions. Thanks!!
95B44EF2-7912-43DD-8BDD-A92668139AF0.png
229DB510-2147-4C05-A934-1A2DBFEC50EA.png

Okay so what’s the gig? Why is this 2022 Model S so cheap? I’m just wondering if this is where the market is, or if there may be something wrong with it. Just looking for opinions. Thanks!!View attachment 936715View attachment 936716

Because someone put 50k miles on a vehicle in 12 months or less (which is likely some sort of commercial usage like rental market, or some other commercial usage) and is now trying to sell it right after the bumper to bumper warranty expired.

I mean if you think its a deal to buy a car that someone put about 4 years worth of mileage on in 12 months, then perhaps its a deal to you.

Upvote 0
I'd factor in an extended service agreement, $3100.
A simple "due diligence" review of all service history and any owner receipts should suffice.
Assuming no citrus smell to the service history, the only downside is the appeal of procrastination (e.g. HW4.)
If you need an S for size or range, go back to say 2020 and one with 20-30K miles and a clean service history as above.
For less money, get a new Y. : )

Reactions: vickh
Upvote 0
Out of warranty, day 1 ... not a huge bargain IMO. Means any issues day 1 are your problem.

This actually makes me feel a little better about my S purchase back in January.
'21 S LR (Refresh), 14k miles, white exterior, cream interior, with FSD, $87k, direct from Tesla.
That means I have a warranty out to 60k miles which is a significant peace of mind.

If a similar model with the black interior, no FSD and out of warranty is $64k, I don't feel quite so bad.

Reactions: K.I.T.T.23
Upvote 0
'21 S LR (Refresh), 14k miles, white exterior, cream interior, with FSD, $87k, direct from Tesla.
That means I have a warranty out to 60k miles which is a significant peace of mind.
Did you confirm this in writing and/or does your Tesla account state as much?

Newer versions of the new car warranty are very clear that the bumper to bumper warranty starts when the car is "put into service", including as a loaner, demo, or otherwise.

Screenshot 2023-05-11 at 11.25.55 AM.png

Upvote 0
I would not touch any 3rd party warranty with a long pole. It has to be a warranty from Tesla.
I’d not touch any rando third party warranty a dealership would sell, but X-care is an active participant in this forum, specializes in Teslas, and has many satisfied customers.

Tesla also offers first party extended service agreements again, as of recently.

Upvote 0
Did you confirm this in writing and/or does your Tesla account state as much?

Newer versions of the new car warranty are very clear that the bumper to bumper warranty starts when the car is "put into service", including as a loaner, demo, or otherwise.

View attachment 936781

Confirmed out to 60k miles.
First I run through the 4/50, and when that expires, the 1/10 kicks in.

Attachments

• IMG_3318.PNG
    IMG_3318.PNG
    260.6 KB · Views: 56
Reactions: ucmndd
Upvote 0
Price seems right, on the good side of normal and the miles are... well, odd on a Tesla. Example:
I bought my 2022 in February this year. I have put 5k miles on it in a couple months, I will put ~29k miles on it annually (4 days a week, 150 miles a day to work and back). There will be nearly no supercharging used ever, my wife prefers to take her Model Y on road trips.

So just because they have high miles on the car doesn't mean that super chargers were used... they could have one hell of a commute to work!

Just my 2 cents, Good luck on your quest for a BAD ASS car!

Upvote 0
Because someone put 50k miles on a vehicle in 12 months or less (which is likely some sort of commercial usage like rental market, or some other commercial usage) and is now trying to sell it right after the bumper to bumper warranty expired.

I mean if you think its a deal to buy a car that someone put about 4 years worth of mileage on in 12 months, then perhaps its a deal to you.
If anything, I'd say 50K on the clock means it was reliable and didn't spend time off the road in for service. : )

Looks like it was previously in Colorado and a '22 could have been purchase in Nov or Dec '21. Now May '23, this one could have been on the road for 18 months or 140 miles per five day week avg. Add on some CA-CO (1000 mile each way) round trips (which I've done for snow skiing, it's "easy" in a Tesla) and those high miles don't mean it's been abused.

In any case, it's now a buyers' market and want to negotiate on price, I'd want to see if Tesla would add on the extended service or I'd want to get a third party warranty product, otherwise being a $K under market can disappear in one or two service visits, plus the hassle factor of buying a vehicle that was known to need work.

Upvote 0