Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Model S Console Recommendations

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I'm confused about this (confirmed for S85D in October). Here's why:

1. My OA told today me that the console is not yet available, but some of you clearly have it.p and the website indicates it's available, at least for piano black.

2. Why is the console not an option in the Design Studio? I know it's available on the Gear Shop, but why not include it in the purchasing process ?

3. I'm not sure I want one, but if I do, should I order it for installation at the time of delivery. I understand some of you think it makes sense to love with the open space for a while, bu assuming I become 100% sure when exactly should I order it?

thanks in advance for any kight you can shed on this....

I was complaining about a console before I got my car, and almost ordered one before delivery.

Once I got the car I was so happy it didn't have a console, now I wont even consider one. Trust me, get the car and drive it for a while- you may think the same.

Either way, congrats on the P85D order man. You are gonna love it.. I am jealous.

1. My OA told today me that the console is not yet available, but some of you clearly have it.p and the website indicates it's available, at least for piano black.

I believe this means that there is still a backlog of orders.

2. Why is the console not an option in the Design Studio? I know it's available on the Gear Shop, but why not include it in the purchasing process ?

It would be inefficient to have it in the Design Studio when not all versions are available. Worst case is that it would slow the production line down.

3. I'm not sure I want one, but if I do, should I order it for installation at the time of delivery. I understand some of you think it makes sense to love with the open space for a while, bu assuming I become 100% sure when exactly should I order it?

No. Wait a while after you get the car to see if you really want it. It won't change the price, and you may find it's better without the console.

I have CF interior - and had planned to order the Tesla console with the CF cover. But when they offered the PB version, I ordered and have been using it now for several months.

Since I always have the cover open over the phone dock/front storage compartment, the PB cover is always hidden - and I doubt I will ever have that cover closed.

So if someone wants the Tesla console now and has been waiting to get something other than PB - my advice is to order the PB version now - because you'll probably never see the PB cover anyway - and why pay extra to get a different material on the cover - when you're probably never going to see it once you start using the console!

The console is an accessory not a design feature. It can be ordered as such, but the DESIGN feature is the open space, differentiating from every other car on the market. I like the open space from the start, but it's good advice to drive for a month and try it while breaking the habit of clutter, etc. Phones charge off a short USB or 12v cord, like they do in almost every console, and the women love having a place to put their bag.
My two ¥..

I'll definitely drive the car for a while before deciding on the console. But if I do decide to add one, does anyone know if that's something the ranger service would be able to install? I'm not close to any service centers.

Thanks.

I ordered my console prior to delivery and it was at the factory, but they screwed up and did not install it. It has been a comedy of errors to get it installed: both on Telsa's part and on just things happening. So I have had the car for a month and I REALLY want the console. I do not like stuff banging back and forth as I curve through corners every day (I drive back mountain roads to work). My phone and wallet slide back and forth constantly, hitting the hollow-sounding sides of the plastic of the open space, making a banging sound. I am also a neat freak, so the disorganization of a wide open space just does not work for me. But it works great for the gals, as it is a perfect place to to put their purse.

I completely agree with the recommendation to give it some time and see how you feel about it. At 650 for the base unit, it is not a small expense.

I have the Obeche matt wood, but went with the PB unit as I don't think I will care the least about it being different. And it will most likely be open all the time. And it was less expensive. I checked out the Evannex unit online and, as I recall, it is the same price as the base PB unit. But I personally think the Tesla product is more attractive. My own taste, of course.

I also find the placement of the cupholders in the armrests to be inconvenient to use. I find it hard to find the slot for my water and would much prefer to have the armrest extended fully to the front, as opposed to being pushed back. I just find it more comfortable.

In my opinion, there is no rush. Though they are hideously backordered...which might speak to the general affinity for more storage in a car that essentially has none...

But, aside from these minor niggles, I am completely in love with my lovely girl! Just wait until you drive the one and only car on the planet that is like no other!

Does anyone have experience with the Custom Console Insert from Evannex.com? I was also wondering if you need the yacht floor in order to install the Tesla version of the console?

Yacht floor definitely not required for the EVAnnex CCI, which is a very nice and easily installable/removable piece, available in all leather colors and trim options. I have had one since early 2013. I have also been on the wait list for the Tesla one for what seems like a year or more, just so I could compare the two. So far the Tesla one hasn't materialized...I am waiting for Obeche Gloss or Carbon Fiber. And stitching that matches my car. And a phone dock that works with a phone in a case.

Although not as nice as a off the market solution, did nobody thought of a 3d printer console? I don't have my Model S yet but I do have the design for :

1. 2 Cup holders
2. A place to store my Telephone.
4. A place to store little coins etc.

This 3D printed only takes up 25 CM of space even less but is inserted and you have the rest of the yacht floor open for bags

Although not as nice as a off the market solution, did nobody thought of a 3d printer console? I don't have my Model S yet but I do have the design for :

1. 2 Cup holders
2. A place to store my Telephone.
4. A place to store little coins etc.

This 3D printed only takes up 25 CM of space even less but is inserted and you have the rest of the yacht floor open for bags

Yes someone thought of it:

Tesla Model S Center Console by OleEichhorn - Thingiverse

I don't plan to allow much drinks other than screw-top bottled water in my new car for quite some time, so the cup holders isn't as much of a concern for me.

However, having "out of sight storage" is a must in parts of the city. If you leave anything out in sight, your odds of a smash & grab go up. I play in an adult soccer league and many of the parks around here are targets for prowlers since the fields are generally not right up next to the parking lot. We've had multiple cars broken into in a single night.

I also like that most console solutions offer a nice charging option that keep the cable fairly well hidden for a nice clean look and easy access to filling up the juice on the phone.

Thanks to all! I ordered the Tesla console this past weekend... and then cancelled it today. I think the advice to first try it without and buy if wanted makes sense for me. That said (like some of the poster on this thread), I like covered storage and feel the cupholders are in an awkward position. But I do love the open look of the front section. We'll see...

BTW, the woman I spoke with at Tesla today did say they had significant inventory of the current product.

Finally, have a tentative delivery appointment on December 26th, which is 45 days, 14 hours and 13 minutes from right now... but who's counting! ;)