Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Model S depreciation

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Hi All, I have a 2016 90D Model S with 17,000 miles in excellent condition and wanted to trade it in for a model X looking for a different ride and Tesla told me this car has lost 35% of its value in 14 months. Is anyone aware if this is typical for a Tesla to take a huge value dump in the first year?

I'm curious, how much did they offer? Vs How much you paid?

As for the depreciation, when doing the calculation first you have to subtract any delivery fee and federal/state EV incentives that were available from the price that you paid. Once you have that number, most car brands will depreciate about 25% after the first year.

From my experience the EV cars depreciate a little faster than ICE cars, I've had it explained to me that an EV is like driving your new I-Phone. In your case you have the 90D, so think of it as an I-Phone 6, the P90D would be the 6 Plus model, the 100D would be the I-Phone 7. When the new phone comes out, your "old" phone is now worth a lot less.

Looking at the CPO's 90D, someone can buy a 2015 for $71,000 with about your miles, or can buy a 2016 with half your miles for $82,500, so if your going to do the trade, do so before it drops even more.

Just my two cents, anyone have any other thoughts?

Once you factor in rebates, most studies seem to show Teslas holding value better than "comparable" cars (Mercedes, BMW, Audi, etc.)

Which isn't saying much, unfortunately. Luxury cars lose a lot of value rather quickly at the start.

Facelifted AP2 made older model lose some of its resell value. And when M3 hits the market older MS will lose even more values. If you really want to get a MX, you should sell your MS fast. Try other third parties to see if they can offer you a better price. I think in the short term, MX will hold up better value than MS as long as the Model X is not out and there is no model change to the X.

Check out Vroom's website and search for Tesla. At any given point they have several in-stock and they turn over quickly. Pricing for a 1yr old MS was higher than I expected and they don't have problems moving them.

You should consider selling to Vroom. I got a trade in quote and Tesla honored it as they considered them a "national" dealer. The offer was 7-8% higher than a local dealer and my original Tesla offer.