Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Model S Exterior: Paint Armor

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Just had the entire hood done with Avery Nano Fusion film. Looks great. Finally took a look at my Roadster with the 3M film and even though I've kept car out of sun most of the time and waxed it a few times it has already yellowed in 2 years. The Avery film comes with a lifetime warranty against the yellowing. It isn't as crystal clear as the 3M Venture Shield film but think it looks fine. It was $600 for the entire hood.

Last edited:
Just had the entire hood done with Avery Nano Fusion film. Looks great. Finally took a look at my Roadster with the 3M film and even though I've kept car out of sun most of the time and waxed it a few times it has already yellowed in 2 years. The Avery film comes with a lifetime warranty against the yellowing. It isn't as crystal clear as the 3M Venture Shield film but think it looks fine.

How did you find an installer of the Avery film in your area? Go through the website, http://www.nanofusionfilm.com ?

goes about halfway up from what I can see (the nose cone gets completely covered). It's about typical for these installations. I've only ever had one car go the whole length of the hood and fenders, but if it's done well, you shouldn't notice the line.

I do wonder if maybe you can option the whole hood done though. I'll ask.

Odd that the charge port door is covered, didn't think that was painted? Though i guess with how much use it will get, it could get scratched/scuffed

*edit* she came back fairly quickly and said that what's on the diagram is all they offer, so if you want to go full hood/fender you'll need to go aftermarket. I'm going to go with what's there and if the coverage is insufficient, I'll just have the hood redone.

Yes there is a dirt line. I test drove a dolphin grey with paint armor and there was a sig red next to it with the PA and both had dirt lines on the hood. Due to wind dynamics there are streaks of dirt that run up the hood.

My other concern is waxing. Will there be wax build up on that crease?

- - - Updated - - -

Correct. Armour is mostly for stone chips. There are other products that protect against car doors and shopping carts.

I wish 3M made an armor for the windshield. I do a lot of highway driving and stones and pebbles leave nicks in my windshield. I wish they made windshield covers like they use in NASCAR. Rip off a new cover at each pitstop!

If anybody in the SF Bay Area (South Bay) wants an installer reference, PM me and I'll send you the number of a really good film installer. He did some custom work on my Roadster with which I'm thrilled - got rid of many seams. He even put some CF film on the brushed aluminum drive button bezel, which for me makes a significant difference in the look of the interior.

I'm gonna pick up my Model S in a couple of months in Portland. I spoke to Highline Customs about doing a full wrap on the Model S. They said they would go to the Washington Square store to take measurements and get me a quote for their Suntek film. They also offer Ventureshield and 3M but they prefer Suntek since it doesn't orange peel and resists chemical solvents. I'll post their quote when I get it.

I spoke to Eric and Bobby from Highline Customs and they quoted me $3700 for a full Suntek film wrap on all the painted surfaces of a Model S with pano roof.

If anybody in the SF Bay Area (South Bay) wants an installer reference, PM me and I'll send you the number of a really good film installer. He did some custom work on my Roadster with which I'm thrilled - got rid of many seams. He even put some CF film on the brushed aluminum drive button bezel, which for me makes a significant difference in the look of the interior.

Anyone with recommendations of a Bay Area installer that has the Avery Nano Fusion 60" film for the hood?

Since Tesla is using StarShield as their official factory installer, Gil Stanfill, the owner of StarShield was very accommodating when I wanted the full hood done on my car. Your local Tesla Service center should be able to coordinate getting the pre-cut piece from StarShield and have it installed by a certified StarShield installer at the Tesla service center. David, the service manager at the LA service center, was happily able to coordinate this for me and other owners who wanted the hood fully covered. So, call your local Tesla service center.

I opted for the paint armor on my car. It looks like they installed the kit listed in the "Tesla Gear" section of the website, not what was pictured in the original post of this thread. I immediately noticed there was no fender, charge port, or roof coverage. Anyone else have the same experience?

I opted for the paint armor on my car. It looks like they installed the kit listed in the "Tesla Gear" section of the website, not what was pictured in the original post of this thread. I immediately noticed there was no fender, charge port, or roof coverage. Anyone else have the same experience?

The kit changed several months ago to a less coverage kit. It took them a while to update the website when it happened. Many of the smaller bits were removed.

Would like to get some opinions on putting paint armor on the doors. I'm concerned about those minor scratches when someone opens their door and they're not quite far enough away to miss your car. I know the armor won't protect against dents from hard hits but it still may protect against a scratch. Then I could just have paintless dent remover used to remove the dent.

Eagerly awaiting your comments.

Would like to get some opinions on putting paint armor on the doors. I'm concerned about those minor scratches when someone opens their door and they're not quite far enough away to miss your car. I know the armor won't protect against dents from hard hits but it still may protect against a scratch. Then I could just have paintless dent remover used to remove the dent.

Eagerly awaiting your comments.

There doesn't seem to be any paint armor on the doors themselves. Full door coverage (4 doors) will cost a lot. The installer who did the Avery Nano Fusion film for the full hood charged $600 for that. He said the doors would probably cost $1,000-1,500 for all 4 as he would need 4 large sheets to make them seamless.