Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Model S Exterior: Paint Armor

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I can't believe I paid nearly $1000 for that line. :-/

Ya, I've learned to always make sure you get the installer to wrap all of the edges and you won't have lines. For the cost of the partials from Tesla you should be able to get a full front job with no lines.

Hey, anyone have pictures of armor on Blue? I'm about ready to pull the trigger on a full frontal of XPEL Ultimate and would appreciate some pics. (brand of film not important)

Ya, I've learned to always make sure you get the installer to wrap all of the edges and you won't have lines. For the cost of the partials from Tesla you should be able to get a full front job with no lines.

Hey, anyone have pictures of armor on Blue? I'm about ready to pull the trigger on a full frontal of XPEL Ultimate and would appreciate some pics. (brand of film not important)

My blue has the full front clip (bumper, headlights, foglights, fenders, and hood) wrapped in Xpel Ultimate. I can take some pictures, but it's hard to tell it's even there.

My blue has the full front clip (bumper, headlights, foglights, fenders, and hood) wrapped in Xpel Ultimate. I can take some pictures, but it's hard to tell it's even there.

Thanks for the info Shokunin. I was concerned after Teslaguy posted it looked like two different paint jobs on the blue. I think the blue paint is gorgeous and might just skip the armor if I thought it's look would be compromised in any way.

(of course pics are *always* welcome on this forum :) )

The factory paint armor doesn't change the look of the blue at all. It just has noticeable lines where it ends:
IMG_0338.JPG

@derekT65, Thanks that is exactly what I needed to see! Gonna go with the XPEL Ultimate over either the full front *with* all edges wrapped or possibly the whole car. I have a quote for the full front. FYI, XPEL is based in San Antonio and now has a Houston office.

Thats pretty terrible. Why would tesla even offer this as an option? It makes a beautiful car look like crap. They should be offering full XPEL Ultimate wraps and not that other junk they are using.
I think it is rather disappointing. As mentioned, this particular line is caused from me waxing the car. Before I washed it, there was a dirt line there instead. but c'mon, saying that my car looks like crap is hyperbole. my car is still beautiful. right? right?

I think it is rather disappointing. As mentioned, this particular line is caused from me waxing the car. Before I washed it, there was a dirt line there instead. but c'mon, saying that my car looks like crap is hyperbole. my car is still beautiful. right? right?

yea yea the car is still hot. I'd just be pissed because I would notice the line every time I would walk by the car and it would eat on me until I caved in, took it to a shop, had it pulled off and proper full paint armor applied.

Not to sound mean Derek but maybe it's the type of wax you are using? I use Pinnacle Souveran Wax and get no lines, residue or haze. It's been a month and still no evidence of wax.

It's not mean, and it's quite possible. I just used "Turtle Wax" liquid wax. It seemed to work reasonably well with the exception of accentuating the line where the paint armor ends. It didn't stop the bird from tagging my car the day after I waxed it, though.

There was clearly a dirt line there before I washed it, too, though.

Anyway, I think aftermarket sounds like a better choice for paint armor. and I think it should be wrapped all the way around the edges.

Paint Armor Ripples

I am currently having parking sensors installed in my MS. I got it with paint armor. My installer commented that he thought the paint armor job was pretty poor - very obvious ripples. He doesn't do that kind of work, but said that I might look to get it redone by a car bra pro, not Tesla. Has anyone had similar issues and did Tesla redo or fix any problems. I don't mind having a half bra, but would like it smoother. I had an installer do one on my Lexus LS460L and it has worked out very well. It was much cheaper than Tesla and covered some of the front near the front wheels that Tesla's doesn't. Not sure whether aftermarket installers have kits for the Tesla S at this point. I decided to have Tesla do it to save time and make it more convenient.

My paint armor was done at the factory and its very easy to see the ripples on the hood. My Service Mgr told me they could replace it but the new one will also have ripples because that's just the nature of the Avery film. He said the 3M doesn't seem to have the ripples, but he isn't allowed to use it for replacement because they don't have a kit for 3M. I asked about redoing it and covering the entire hood and he said they can't do that. Currently the Service Mgrs are having to find local installers to apply the film. Apparently the factory has stopped doing it.

P1117 Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Avery Nano Fusion is touted on the web as having much *less* Orange Peel effect than 3M or even Xpel. I tend to think we may just have poor installations...particularly those of us that took delivery in the end of 2012 bubble. My hood is extremely rippled with orange peel effect, but much smoother elsewhere. The bubbles and fingerprints under my paint armor are undeniably installation issues, which I hope to have removed and redone.

Astrotoy, we haven't gotten our Tesla yet, but I've already contacted two well regarded paint protection installers in the Bay Area and both have the kits available; I will do the custom install as I want the full hood done. PM me if you want their names and pricing. With respect to your parking sensors...can you say more about how they look and function? Provide pics? Thanks,

Hey all just received a quote to have my blue Tesla done.

Front entire hood
entire front Quarter panels
entire front grill (not the nose cone)

$1500 CAD

Questions a) is this a bad price?
b) anyone get the amour that was on the fence previously? Happy? Not Happy? The guy on the phone said that when we take the protection off later, a detailer could cut buff the car and get the change in coloration (if any) out. Anyways. Really not sure about this as I've never had it done. He also said that a scratch in the protection film would be there until the film was replaced. Well, I dont really want to have the car look worse while the film is on.... thoughts?

Hey all just received a quote to have my blue Tesla done.

Front entire hood
entire front Quarter panels
entire front grill (not the nose cone)

$1500 CAD

Questions a) is this a bad price?
b) anyone get the amour that was on the fence previously? Happy? Not Happy? The guy on the phone said that when we take the protection off later, a detailer could cut buff the car and get the change in coloration (if any) out. Anyways. Really not sure about this as I've never had it done. He also said that a scratch in the protection film would be there until the film was replaced. Well, I dont really want to have the car look worse while the film is on.... thoughts?

Which product? I paid about 2k (after tax) for the entire front of the car fully wrapped (edges tucked and rolled) and rocker panels plus partial coverage on the rear fenders with Suntek. Xpel would have run 20% more.