Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Model S Fatal Crash Impact on current owners

Since the recent Model S fatal crash I have (select all that apply):

• Stopped using autopilot completely

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Used autopilot much less frequently

Votes: 1 0.5%
  • Used autopilot with much greater care

Votes: 12 6.2%
  • Not changed the way I use autopilot

Votes: 161 82.6%
  • Disabled autopilot

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Do not have autopliot

Votes: 22 11.3%

• Total voters
This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I always pay attention to the road with it anyway. It's lovely for removing the tedious tasks of managing my speed and steering second-by-second, but I always kept track of what it was doing. I firmly believe that I'm much safer with it. In the crash in question, I either would have seen the truck and avoided the crash, or I would have been doomed either way. Not sure exactly which since details are scarce.

I pay attention when using AP. The longest I'm not looking at the road is when I'm changing the music selection, or something like that. Since I used to have to do that without AP, I think even that is much safer than before.

I'm really surprised at how much more relaxing stop and go traffic is with AP, even though I still have to pay attention. I really did not think AP would be that useful day to day, but it really is.

Reactions: bridaus and gpetti
Like he said. I realize it's limitations. I alway watch the road, but actually "do" much less. You are managing a system and looking for situations ahead, as well as general awareness of other cars nearby. I try to drive between clusters of cars, and the Teslas speed makes it very easy to position yourself, and get out of trouble if you run across some "unstable" drivers

Not trying to sound defensive or confrontational, but would a fatal auto incident involving a driver (fill in the blank*) deter others from using/doing the same (or garner as many news stories or as much hand wringing)?

* using regular cruise control; driving a car model with low safety ratings; driving a subcompact car; driving an old car without airbags; driving without using seat belt; driving with bald tires; driving with bad brakes; driving at night with no headlights; texting; doing makeup; turning around and yelling at kids in back seat; fiddling around with entertainment system.

The purpose of autopilot is, and has always been, to allow the driver to assume a supervisory role instead of an operational role. It does not mean you can check out or not pay attention.

Autopilot should be treated like a teenager who is in the first week of his first job. He's attentive, bright, energetic, ambitious, and willing to help. But you better watch him, because he will inadvertently screw something up if you don't.

I use TACC very often however, I very rarely use the self driving aspect as most of the roads I drive upon have cross traffic situations, which by definition are therefore NOT divided highways. I suspect, if the victim of the Autopilot mishap were to have taken heed of that fact, then this thread and the mishap would not exist. We all have to fully understand that the Autopilot systems are in their infancy and have some limitations. For instance the forward looking radar and blind spot sensors are at present inadequate as currently configured IMHO.

Near zero impact. I've only had 2000 miles in my Model S, but before that, I drove over 40,000 miles in an Audi with steering assist + adaptive cruise control (may I say, inferior implementations of both). I was already well aware that these sensors have limitations, and am careful about monitoring the car while it's driving itself.

Of course, a story like this reemphasizes the importance of not being distracted while on Autopilot, just like how hearing about a texting-and-driving accident would probably make you think twice about that habit.

As others have said, I primarily use AP to lighten my driving cognitive load particularly on open stretches of road. I appreciate that I don't have to watch the speedometer or modulate the gas pedal.

When cars are around me, I'm quite a bit more cautious about things like being in another car's blind spot or changing lanes in front of a faster car. I also have a (somewhat irrational) fear of changing into a lane at the same time as another car and subsequently having an accident. Ironically, the tragedy led me to viewing the victim's previous video of AP helping him to avoid a blind spot crash. So now I actually feel a bit more at ease with AP's ability to deal with that situation

Reactions: ZeroDarkSilver
zero impact.
the key to driving, with AP or without, is always be vigilant to both road conditions ahead and the other drivers around you.
If you view every other driver on the road as being a poor/dangerous driver, you'll be a safer driver.
Especially at traffic lights. I could not imagine it before last month but there are segments of the population that know and take advantage of the fact that when they choose to run red lights and are involved in an "accident" all they need to do is immediately claim that the light was green for them and the police will not issue any citations if there are no witnesses or a witness can be doubted. I was lucky this time around as one witness stayed and he was an elected official. The cop told me that I was fortunate and they cited the uninsured driver for a red light violation. I'm hoping to get my MS back this fall. I have a dash cam ready to install in the MS and installing them in our other vehicles. I will be watching out for the "lady" that hit me as I'm betting that she will still be driving without insurance (drivers license?) after the justice system does it's thing.

Spent a bunch of time this weekend on the road visiting friends/family and have been questioned about the safety of my Model S as a result of this incident. Though I don't have AP, the majority of folks I interact with don't know this and helping to educate them follows.

I remind everyone that my 3 children are riding in the safest car in the world and provide them with that facts of the tragic accident in Florida but also about the incident where the S went airborne off a freeway and the passengers walked away.

I may have sold 2 or 3 S's this weekend by providing test drives to these referrals and have encouraged everyone to drive one with AP as well because it's incredible.

There wasn't an option to stop watching movies with AP....

But honestly, there isn't an option - use AP the same but this was a good reminder to always be vigilant.

I do live and drive in an area that has divided highways with uncontrolled cross traffic. It isn't common at all but it happens. This really is a totally different road than a true interstate level road. I would not be surprised if this becomes limited by AP. These are some of the more dangerous situations because you are cruising along with no potential obstacles - and then bam - a truck is crossing your path. They tend to be 50+ mph roads with minimal traffic (ie rural) and straight also (again rural). The easiest situation to let your guard down.

Anyone who uses AP a lot - knows that cross traffic is not something it handles safely. Heck - even a merge into your lane is something that isn't handled well enough. What I'm quite surprised is that it doesn't slow some when a lane next to you has a car/truck with 20 mph speed differential. I had a truck merging in going 30 or so while I was going 70. I had to take over abruptly.

Zero impact. Based on all available data points that I came across so far about this accident, the most logical explanation is that AP was misused (potentially in combination with speeding), with tragic consequences. I still trust the system - within its limitations that should be obvious to anybody that uses it responsibly.