Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Model S First Drive Reviews

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
no signs of wearing on the micro fiber seats. i did notice another model S that had the saddle leather interior showed quite a bit of wearing

My opinion is that the microfibre seats are going to be much better than the leather ones. I just wish they had heating and additional colours. (I don't care about the seat memory)

My opinion is that the microfibre seats are going to be much better than the leather ones. I just wish they had heating and additional colours. (I don't care about the seat memory)

Agree on the durability part atleast with the kind of leather - soft and "creasophilic" rather than stiff - that Tesla appears to be using.

On the heating front, I don't think cloth seats get as cold as leather ones do. That was my experience with them (for 5 years in a VW Passat) even during the reasonably cold Bay Area winters.

Yeah, having a choice of colors would have been good although lighter cloth seats might show stains more easily; cleaning stains on cloth could be more painful too when compared to leather. I like black anyway with my green exterior.

Last edited:
[List of first drive reviews/impressions from news outlets to date:]

[List of detailed first drive reviews/impressions from TMC users to date:]
Todd Burch | gg_wants_a_tesla

I probably missed some. This thread is huge.

Last edited:
Test Driving The Super-Connected, All-Electric Tesla Model S [TCTV] | TechCrunch

Shipping slowly

The Model S started shipping last month, but Tesla is ramping up production very slowly to make sure there are no glitches — right now about 12 cars have been delivered, and the company is putting out about two a week. But by the end of the year, it is targeting to have that weekly production number up to 500. If you reserved a Model S today (pricing starts at $49,900) you could expect to have it in your garage in June 2013.

... as in the Roadster, at least in the Model S Performance model, you'll want to do it again and again and again.Michael Sexton, who runs the Tesla Store in Manhattan, says that it took him about six months before he stopped using his Roadster that way and just drove it--knowing that he had sheer acceleration on tap when he wanted it.

That took more like a year and a half for me. And when I do hit the juice it's still exhilarating. :biggrin:

Test Driving The Super-Connected, All-Electric Tesla Model S [TCTV] | TechCrunch

Shipping slowly

The Model S started shipping last month, but Tesla is ramping up production very slowly to make sure there are no glitches — right now about 12 cars have been delivered, and the company is putting out about two a week. But by the end of the year, it is targeting to have that weekly production number up to 500. If you reserved a Model S today (pricing starts at $49,900) you could expect to have it in your garage in June 2013.

One of the best test drive videos I've seen lately. A little hard to find, though. Here's a more direct link to the video:

http://techcrunch.com/author/colleen-taylor/