Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Model S gen 1 vs gen 2

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Yes, I think many of you have already beaten this horse to death. I get it now - hardware and software updates come in all the time.
Sorry about that. You hit a touchy subject. :)

I think the majority of posters here, or at least a very large number, would argue that there hasn't been a "Gen 2" Model S yet, so your post ended up a lightning rod for the 'How Tesla constantly changes their cars' discussion. And as was pointed out repeatedly, even if you think there is a "Gen 2", defining exactly where such a thing started is open to great debate.

I hope you at least got the answers about new features you were looking for.

Reactions: fallen888
It is odd that a simple facia change is "gen 2" while dual motor and AP were not <g>

When I got into heavy research mode last year I knew of the "20 changes per week" and was really surprised there wasn't a website that listed some of the bigger ones that customers noticed and the approximate VIN when they happened. Like folding mirrors, the various sound systems, next-gen seat availability, etc. It would help when looking at CPO cars.

This is a 80a charger, and mine only draw 48a top:
No need for software unlock to 72a, worthless to me on a 60 kWh car. Totally fine with SC on trip and overnight charging with 40-48a.

View attachment 190613

View attachment 190612
With the dual chargers you have the capacity of 80A....if your hpwc is only connected to a 60A breaker with the associated wiring you can only charge at 48A (code required). There is a dip switch setting the wall charger(EVSE) that tells the car what is available at that location. When it was installed the technician had to set it according to what was wired to it.

I have the dual chargers and consistently charge at 80A at home on a 100A breaker. Looking back I feel it is totally worth it to get that quicker charge. I think I have used a public (non Tesla) charger once maybe twice. I would not base my opinion on the availability of public EVSE (Electric Vehicle Supply Equipment).

You are going to have a difficult time defining what a "first generation S" is. Tesla continuously changes and improves their cars.

Classic Model S was late 2012 through mid 2013. Badges were the first addition. My first S 3046 has none but 6686 does.

The auto pilot hardware was added around vin number 58 to 60 k. I am not sure when the folding mirrors were added.

True, with a caveat. That frunk is a lot smaller than the original frunk. It got smaller with the D, then smaller again with the refresh.

I have the dual chargers and consistently charge at 80A at home on a 100A breaker. Looking back I feel it is totally worth it to get that quicker charge

Dual chargers are also good when you arrive at a destination charger, such as at a hotel, with a low battery and want to get miles added as fast as you can while you unload, shower, or whatever and get ready to go out on the town before returning to the hotel to sleep. People think destination chargers are fine because you stay overnight but they forget how often you go in and out and need your car for that.

The biggest change was in late September 2014 when Tesla secretly began installing AutoPilot hardware in Model S's coming off the production line. This was the beginning of the line that defined "classic" Model S's. Reality sank in a couple of weeks later in early October 2014 when the D was announced. That is the defining moment that has far greater impact on the Tesla Model S product evolution than the recent facelift and all that came with that. Within that month or two in late 2014, there were a lot of "crossover" models that had the best of both worlds and produced some very unique versions of the Model S. Suggest you work from that point in time.