Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Model S in Extreme Cold: Driving at -30 Celsius

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Bah, -30C is no big deal. Routine!

Was thinking of posting the same thought!

- - - Updated - - -

How about going up to 75mph+ on packed snow covered roads (rear wheel drive) - around 2:10 min into the video? :smile:

Well, on snow covered roads, I keep my speed down a bit, but 60 MPH wouldn't be out of the question if traffic wasn't a concern.

Gotta love you Canadians! It got down to 9 or 10F here a couple of days ago, thought I was going to die!:wink: Kelly's LEAF definitely suffers in the cold - just range, drives fine.

Well, on snow covered roads, I keep my speed down a bit, but 60 MPH wouldn't be out of the question if traffic wasn't a concern.

On few occasions when I traveled packed snow covered highways, I've generally kept my speed around 55mph (RWD P85, 19" Blizzaks LM-60 tires).

These guys seem to be bordering reckless, though. Gunning it to 75mph+, while discussing how roads are spot covered in glare ice, and taking curves at about 50mph, all the while discussing how the go pedal was depressed to the floor and traction control prevented further acceleration...

Last edited:
So...other than the lack of regen from a cold battery...what exactly were people expecting to happen? Don't really have to worry about the alternator not turning over...

Lack of or reduced regen doesn't bother me one bit. The car still has a brake pedal after all. The cold weather benefits trump everything else. It runs as smooth and quiet as it does in summer, heat is immediate, no need to "warm up" an engine or deal with a sputtering rough running ICE. Sure it uses a bit more energy but gas cars use more gas in the winter too.

Well I got in my cold soaked car at -24c last night. Got the "no regen" warning. Then a few minutes later Stability Control Disabled as well as Traction Control Disabled Contact Tesla Service. After I got home in the garage I did a reset but the message did not go away. Woke up this morning and it had fixed itself. I was hoping I could take the car out and have some fun in a snow covered parking lot with the stability control off! Oh well, maybe next time.