Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Model S Insurance

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Im 30, got the P85, my yearly is $1150 CAD with TD Meloche Monnex (Canadian insurance company). Strangely my Genesis Coupe which i had before was $1200, but with this vehicle i have a "Green Wheel" EV/Hybrid Discount so it works out good for me.

i have no accidents or tickets in the last 8 years BTW.

I see some people listing liability limits of $100/300k. If you can afford a model S, my experience says you should be buying higher limits and an umbrella. Just sayin. Its good to see everyone giving companies and rates as shopping is the best way to get the best rate. However, stating annual premium is not really apples to apples.

I see some people listing liability limits of $100/300k. If you can afford a model S, my experience says you should be buying higher limits and an umbrella. Just sayin.
Maybe they're like me and make less than 6 figures a year and probably shouldn't be affording a Model S ;)

Though in my case I may have to up my levels if Tesla keeps doing well as I will have more money to protect...

I'm in the Los Angeles area, Mercury quoted me $2150 per year. I dropped my 21 yr old son from my policy and it went down to $1600. Mercury will cover him on a separate policy (he's at college in San Diego).

Anybody has a good source for GAP/Total Loss Insurance ?

I think most of us here either bought the MS cash or financed with a huge down payment. With the crazy price raises of the P I would now have to put a lot of additional money out of pocket if my car would be a toal loss (which can happen quickly with some uninsured motorist who screws you up.....).

Does anybody know any after market total loss / GAP insurance for Florida ? I only found one which pays the replacement costs up to 5000 k difference, we need at least 30k !!

I'm in Orange County, CA. Adding 2013 Tesla Model S to my existing Home Warranty to get the discount cost me $2300 per year. I went with GEICO. They gave me higher limits and I pay $1900 per year.

geico.jpg

- - - Updated - - -

Should have added that the $2300 quote was from State Farm.

I'm in Orange County, CA. Adding 2013 Tesla Model S to my existing Home Warranty to get the discount cost me $2300 per year. I went with GEICO. They gave me higher limits and I pay $1900 per year.

geico.jpg

I'm curious to know if new owners looking for insurance has the 5 star crash test results helped with insurance premiums?
+1 I'm also interested in recent experiences with insurance quotes. I suspect that actuarial tables for the Model S will need to be updated. Anyone know of any insurance companies who have lowered their rates as a result of the NHTSA ratings?

For me insurance isn't about the 'cheapest', because when you do file a claim, you'll quickly find out you get what you pay for. With that said, I've had USAA for 20+ years, and maybe a few dollars more, but rest assured, I sleep very well at night knowing if something did happen, it would get taken care of ASAP.

Ran a quote through my online account once I had VIN, it's less that my 2013 Audi S5 (which is only a $60K car vs $113K for P85+).

After calling around several insurance companies they were more interested in your driving record and your credit score than 5 star crash test results. It pays to shop around, also discovered that insurance companies want multiple coverages. By combining renters insurance along with auto insurance my MS will be less expensive than a 2008 pickup truck, I'm going with Safeco Insurance.

Allstste has his kind of coverage. You can have it up until the car is 3yo. You have to pay for the coverage, but its not very expensive.

I have Safeco with the new replacement clause for 1 year right now. It was < $30/year. We'll see what they say next year.

Had to switch all our insurance from Mercury because their rate for the Model S was outrageous.

I have Allstate in NJ and am paying around $1,000/yr for my P85 as my primary vehicle. I'll be curious to see where rates go, once data regarding repair costs start to come in. A valet dinged up my front bumper. Cost $13,500 to fix!