Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Model S Insurance

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I carry 1k deductibles on my cars. It reduces the premium and I have no concerns about coming up with the funds to cover it should the need arise.

Much to my dismay, my bank is requiring that I reduce the deductible to $500 on my new P85D loan. I understand that they want to make sure that in the event of an accident that the collateral on the loan is protected. What I don't understand is why they would be concerned over my ability to cover $500 (the difference in the deductible) especially since they approved me for a 100% 130k loan. I think I've proven my credit worthiness.

Is there something here I'm missing? This is only the second bank that has asked me to prove that they are listed as the primary beneficiary to the insurance, and the only one that has insisted on a $500 deductible, and I've had 8-10 auto loans over the years.

Same for both my cars, each time. Two different credit unions, too, so I'm guessing standard practice.

Everyone's situation is different, but I'll just throw out that I asked USAA yesterday about changing collision deductibles on our 4 cars (avg of 9 years old, 2 "mature" and 2 <25 drivers) from $250 to $1000. Only $228/yr. savings offered.

Exactly, I see your point. A no-brainer for me, with no insurance claim in 30 years. You would be betting against having a claim in the next 3.3 years -- somewhat less likely. $228 saved for me. $228 well invested for you!

Interesting comment from an article about Edmunds taking the new aluminum F-150 to get repaired at the dealer after intentionally putting dents into it.

Interestingly, the dealer was willing to offer a significant discount when they found out they were being paid "out of pocket" rather than by an insurance company.The amended, final price reflecting that was $2,938.

Heres How Much It Costs To Fix Dents On The Aluminum 2015 Ford F-150

Hit a deer this past January. We were paying $88/month and starting in May it goes up to $133/month. We did change deductible to $500 but that itself only added $8/month. $12,000 in damages. Not happy about it but all other places want at least $300/month for the same policy. We're with State Farm btw

I am with Amica too, I had asked for a qoute on a 2014 P85+ and they said my premium wouldnt change. Ended up getting 2015 85D and my premium went up $450..
We live in Florida which is one the highest states for auto insurance.
Michigan is THE highest. I'm also with Amica and I'm paying just over $4100/yr with similar coverage/deductibles as most others I've seen. Half the premium is on the Michigan Broadened Collision coverage, which is essentially the big important part of the insurance. I'm 28 and never had any accidents or tickets. I haven't seen any other owners with a premium anywhere near as high as mine, though they've all been in other states.

Of the six companies that gave me quotes (another four apparently didn't insure Tesla), only Geico gave me a cheaper quote at about $1500/6mo, but it sounds like they deny a lot of claims and I don't want to risk that nightmare with such an expensive car. Farmers was by far the worst at $7800/6mo for my preferred coverage, or $13,500/6mo for their "Basic" coverage. Even with Michigan being the worst and the car so expensive to repair, I have no idea why I've been thrown such ridiculous quotes, as though I'm missing something. Am I supposed to haggle or something?

I'm coming up on renewal and will be going through another round of shopping.

Some of these prices scare me--I'm hoping the Model 3 doesn't run into such issues. Are high-end cars usually so expensive to insure, or is the Model S significantly higher than many others?

Right now I pay $40 for my current gasser, and adding my upcoming ED to the mix will cost $47 before changing/lowering coverage on my gasser. Fairly low deductibles, too, but in one of the lowest states to insure in.

I called a few places. AAA Wanted $3600 a year! I have been with them 30+ years, no claims. This would be a 200% increase over my current insurance on my Audi.

Geico wanted $1900

USAA wanted $900. Have yet to confirm with them but plan to soon

With my 70D en route to replace an Audi A6 TDI (anyone want a sweet deal on a nice diesel??) and being a USAA member, I am keenly interested in what they offer you. Please keep us updated!

When I asked for a quote from Sate Farm (I've been with them for 30 years), a month before delivery, they quoted me about $1400/yr. When I actually insured the car, earlier this month, it was a bit under $1000/yr! I don't know if they dropped their price or neglected to include the various discounts, such as safe driver, multicar and multiline. My record is clean, with a 2nd car, homeowner's, and an umbrella liability policy with them.

I just insured my new 85D with USAA.

Texas, clean driving record, high credit score, mid-40's. 100K/300K/100K policy, 100K UI/UIM, 1K collision and comprehensive deductibles. $1460/year. For my 2008 Audi A6, this same policy was about $950/year. The increase is almost all in the collision and comprehensive coverage due to the high cost to repair the vehicle should it be in an accident.

With my 70D en route to replace an Audi A6 TDI (anyone want a sweet deal on a nice diesel??) and being a USAA member, I am keenly interested in what they offer you. Please keep us updated!

Will do! I just got my VIN Tuesday so that should help the cause. Mr. USAA (My dad) has been in the hospital and the last thing I want to do is pester my mom while he is there. Trying to be a good daughter. Trying!

I just insured my new 85D with USAA.

Texas, clean driving record, high credit score, mid-40's. 100K/300K/100K policy, 100K UI/UIM, 1K collision and comprehensive deductibles. $1460/year. For my 2008 Audi A6, this same policy was about $950/year. The increase is almost all in the collision and comprehensive coverage due to the high cost to repair the vehicle should it be in an accident.

Same as what I got for myself with Safeco with OEM parts endorsement and new car vehicle replacement. I would check to see if USAA offers those endorsements.