Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Model S Insurance

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I as quoted $1150 through my current carrier (Cincinnati Insurance) for a $125,000 MSRP 2015 Model S P85D in Ohio. I ended up ordering an 85D that came in at $104,000 so my premium should come in a little less than that.

- - - Updated - - -

I as quoted $1150 through my current carrier (Cincinnati Insurance) for a $125,000 MSRP 2015 Model S P85D in Ohio. I ended up ordering an 85D that came in at $104,000 so my premium should come in a little less than that.

I should have noted that my current car (2009 Cadillac CTS) premium is $650/year.

I don't have an "apples and apples" comp of the isolated cost of adding a new 70D due to complicated circumstances, but here's what I did today with USAA (long-term customer and multiple policies) in case it helps anyone:

- previously 3 cars (2007 Sienna, 2008 Prius, 2002 Merc CLK conv.) and 3 drivers (58, 58, 19 male)
- adding Tesla and a 4th driver (23 y.o. daughter returning from a year abroad and off-policy) with same low deductibles = $3,000 to $4,800
- raising collision and comprehensive deductibles to $1,000 = down to $4,000
- net change of adding a 4th car and a 4th driver and lowering deductibles = +$1,000 (34%)

I'm guessing the impact of the 70D by itself is $900-$1,200/yr.

I am also with USAA. Mine is around $1600 a year - my big problem is that I have two 16 year old drivers on our policy, which is not fun. Frighteningly, the Leaf that they drive is more than the cost of the Tesla insurance. They have to be on all of the cars we own, since they maybe, one day, might possibly, drive the Tesla - which I will not let them drive.

I am also with USAA. Mine is around $1600 a year - my big problem is that I have two 16 year old drivers on our policy, which is not fun. Frighteningly, the Leaf that they drive is more than the cost of the Tesla insurance. They have to be on all of the cars we own, since they maybe, one day, might possibly, drive the Tesla - which I will not let them drive.

This varies by state. Some states will allow drivers to be excluded from specific cars, others won't. Virginia doesn't, so we have the same problem that you do. However, $1600/year is CHEAP. I'm paying $2300? or something like that every 6 months for 4 cars, and 3 drivers.

I don't have an "apples and apples" comp of the isolated cost of adding a new 70D due to complicated circumstances, but here's what I did today with USAA (long-term customer and multiple policies) in case it helps anyone:

- previously 3 cars (2007 Sienna, 2008 Prius, 2002 Merc CLK conv.) and 3 drivers (58, 58, 19 male)
- adding Tesla and a 4th driver (23 y.o. daughter returning from a year abroad and off-policy) with same low deductibles = $3,000 to $4,800
- raising collision and comprehensive deductibles to $1,000 = down to $4,000
- net change of adding a 4th car and a 4th driver and lowering deductibles = +$1,000 (34%)

I'm guessing the impact of the 70D by itself is $900-$1,200/yr.
I'm with USAA also. Just make sure you enter in the VIN# and it will think it's a P85/85. I was too clever for my own good and decided to manually enter a 70D. After playing with the different types of coverages for all 4 cars it would've been about $400 more each 6/mos. I took off comp/coll on a '96 Nissan PU that still has like 67k miles on it. I jacked up the comp/coll on the replacement car to $1000 same as Tesla. Well when it came time to submit it asked for the VIN# again. Oh crap! I was expecting it to be more expensive than the $400 it had originally quoted me. Enter in VIN and it thinks it's a P85/85 and gave me 6mo figure of only $118 more than what I was paying.

I'm with USAA also. Just make sure you enter in the VIN# and it will think it's a P85/85. I was too clever for my own good and decided to manually enter a 70D. After playing with the different types of coverages for all 4 cars it would've been about $400 more each 6/mos. I took off comp/coll on a '96 Nissan PU that still has like 67k miles on it. I jacked up the comp/coll on the replacement car to $1000 same as Tesla. Well when it came time to submit it asked for the VIN# again. Oh crap! I was expecting it to be more expensive than the $400 it had originally quoted me. Enter in VIN and it thinks it's a P85/85 and gave me 6mo figure of only $118 more than what I was paying.

I spent almost 2 hours on the phone with USAA yesterday on all sorts of things. The first question the auto guy asked was the VIN #. I deal with certain vendors online, but prefer to talk to USAA as they have well-trained, knowledgeable and nice staff. If I pay a slight premium, so be it.

Since my insurance renewal was coming up, I figured I'd check the Esurance website to see how my premium had changed. Not happy to say the least. No claims, no accidents, no tickets.

Last 6-month premium: $833.99
New 6-month premium: $2,870.99

After speaking with 2 customer service people and a licensed agent, they don't know why my rate has increased so much, and have submitted it for review. Will supposedly hear back in 24-48hrs with their findings. I assume I will end up shopping for a new insurance co.

My insurance in NC with Travelers went up by only a few dollars compared to the full premium last year (I get yearly policies, and the Tesla was added about 5 months in the year, but I got the rate then what a full year would have been). Still $1,800 for one driver, two vehicles with $650-700 or so being for the ICE.

Since my insurance renewal was coming up, I figured I'd check the Esurance website to see how my premium had changed. Not happy to say the least. No claims, no accidents, no tickets.

Last 6-month premium: $833.99
New 6-month premium: $2,870.99

After speaking with 2 customer service people and a licensed agent, they don't know why my rate has increased so much, and have submitted it for review. Will supposedly hear back in 24-48hrs with their findings. I assume I will end up shopping for a new insurance co.
That's crazy!!!! Please keep us posted.

That's crazy!!!! Please keep us posted.

"The increase to your premium is the result of an update to our vehicle rating criteria. We periodically receive data updates from the national vehicle database, which helps us ensure that we’re maintaining accurate and fair premiums for the vehicles our customers insure.

Unfortunately, with this update the premium of $2870.99 is currently the lowest we can offer with your current coverage and policy selections."

Time for new ins co. $2000 increase with no claims, accidents, tickets, or changes to policy is insane. Wish me luck. Will send an email to Tesla as well.

Location dominates over practically everything else (even accident history!) for car insurance.

GEICO just ramped up everyone's rates in NY a lot; I switched to Erie and saved several hundred per year, though State Farm also gave a competitive quote.

I have been using Geico, and paying ~$950 for six months. (Probably because of no insurance history - this is my first car).
This Feb, they increased my premium to ~$1030. I called them, they said because I lost a "new car discount" now that my car is more than two years old, and that they reviewed the premium based on the repair costs of the vehicle being updated with more info!

Still the cheapest among everyone else I queried.

Allstate raised my rates by over $250 to nearly $700/6 months so I shopped around and got even better coverage with Progressive for about $400 for 6 months...when I called Allstate to let them know I was switching...they basically said..oh...yeah, it's an expensive car to insure...didn't even bother to try to lower my payment...

Allstate raised my rates by over $250 to nearly $700/6 months so I shopped around and got even better coverage with Progressive for about $400 for 6 months...when I called Allstate to let them know I was switching...they basically said..oh...yeah, it's an expensive car to insure...didn't even bother to try to lower my payment...

But isn't the $400 an introductory rate? I read the small print, and the biggest portion of the applied discount is the "initial online sign up discount" or something along these lines. I bet the rates go up once the first 6 months have passed...

But isn't the $400 an introductory rate? I read the small print, and the biggest portion of the applied discount is the "initial online sign up discount" or something along these lines. I bet the rates go up once the first 6 months have passed...

You're right but the rate before the online discount was $535 so still cheaper than Allstate.

I just got off the phone with my State Farm agent, asking for Texas quote on a new
Model S70 with minimum Liability coverage, and a deductible of $500 for Collision/Comprehensive. Quote is for $1766 annually. Now I posed this puzzler to them. Say my S70 is charging overnight at a hotel, and despite parking in a well lit location, I had to resort to charge on a slow-pokey wall outlet with an extension cord AND, I wake up in the morning to find a note on my windshield that somebody tripped over the cable overnight, and is suing for miscellaneous injuries -- is it covered? Their answer: no. So, I've got that to add to my range anxiety.