Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Vendor Model S Lighted Rear Applique in operation on the road

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Shot a video this morning of the Gen II lighted rear appliqué in operation on the road. This was shot in broad daylight with the camcorder close to the lighted letters so the pixilation is much more noticeable than it would be from further behind. At the end of the video there are brief video highlights of the effects possible with the iOS and Android bluetooth controller when the car is stationary. I switched the taillights off and on a few times to show operations with them switched each way. This is our new GEN II version painted in MC red to match my car -- they're available in all the colors Telsa has made starting with Signature Red plus a polished finish to match the chrome stock OEM appliqué .

As soon as the weather is reliable I'll shoot a similar video at night when the effects are much brighter.

Last edited by a moderator:
artsci,

OK I have a question. I've been watching the various threads regarding decoding frames on the Tesla's CAN busses, and I believe I saw a few posts there about possibly redesigning the lighted applique controller to use the CAN bus for all signalling rather than having to splice into several other wires in the hatch area.

In additional to greatly simplifying installation, this may allow a feature that I think might be a really nice touch.

I think it might be useful to other drivers on the road if there was an indication that a Tesla is driving with autosteer engaged. I envision the Tesla letters on the applique changing color (say from red to orange at night, or dark to orange during the day) to indicate that autosteer is engaged. Orange would probably be the only color other than red that would be legal to show on the rear of the car while driving.

Obviously, this would be dependent not only on redesigning the applique controller for CAN bus signalling, but assumes that there is a CAN frame that indicates autosteer engagement, and that such a frame is available on the bus that the applique is connected to (CAN2, body bus?)

Do you think this would be a possibility? I like the idea that other drivers on the road could be aware that autosteer is engaged. We know that autosteer isn't perfect and can sometimes waver in the lane a bit, and other drivers might like to be aware of that possibility.

I see two potential issues with that. While a CAN bus reader would only be tapping the CAN bus for frames, anything to do with Autosteer (even in 'read only' mode) is sure to stir up quite a bit of controversy among the paranoid folks as well as Tesla Motors. You and I know the CAN bus tap isn't injecting or modifying frames, but try explaining that to a police officer, judge, or jury when there's an accident with AS engaged, and someone is injured or killed. Tapping in for brake and turn signals is pretty low risk.. but even just reading the Autosteer frames I think opens up the makers (artsci and Danal) to quite a bit of liability among the ignorant lawyers and plaintiffs. Best to just steer far away from that. (pun intended ;) )

Second, even if it were possible, 99.9999% of the driving public would have no idea what that means. Only another Tesla driver -- who also happens to know "the signal" --- would realize what it means. Let's say the Applique gets installed on 500 cars. That's already .5% of cars sold in the US (estimated at 100k cars). How many people, besides those 500, are going to know that the applique is transmitting the AS status? Maybe another 500? So that's 1000 people, out of how many millions of drivers?

Reactions: mrElbe
I agree with “HANK” lets not get lawyers involved in the appliqué install process. The current install process does take some work to install, however, it does not interfere with any signals turn or stop. It operates independently of the cars electric signals. Lets keep it that way.

Last edited:
You're probably right that having anything to do with Autosteer opens a can of worms, and it's probably not worth it.

I would still like to see a version of the applique that reads the CAN bus rather than taps into so many wires, just for installation ease, and possible easy removal. My vehicle is leased, so I probably wouldn't consider purchasing the applique unless there is the possibility that I might be able to remove it from one Model S and put it on another.

I agree with “HANK” lets not get lawyers involved in the appliqué install process. The current install process does take some work to install, however, it does not interfere with any signals turn or stop. It operates independently of the cars electric signals. Lets keep it that way.

Danal is working on a CAN bus solution but it's going to take some time, likely as much as six months to make it operational. That will only be for the brakes, turn signals, running lights, and reverse lamps. A separate connection to 12V and ground will still be necessary. But we're not going to go in any direction that creates legal problems for us or owners. So it will only light red when the car is in motion -- no orange and no other color than red.

- - - Updated - - -

You're probably right that having anything to do with Autosteer opens a can of worms, and it's probably not worth it.

I would still like to see a version of the applique that reads the CAN bus rather than taps into so many wires, just for installation ease, and possible easy removal. My vehicle is leased, so I probably wouldn't consider purchasing the applique unless there is the possibility that I might be able to remove it from one Model S and put it on another.

Yes, forget autopilot. We're not going to do there.

Thanks, but just to clarify, I was saying to stay clear of any function related to AP or AutoSteer.

That said, I'm all for the CAN BUS solution for turn signals, brakes, and reverse lights.

Are they legal? lighting on the rear of vehicles is highly regulated by DOT as well as states. I suspect you could be ticketed for that in California if the cop really wanted to.

I think the CAN bus solution could actually assist in making sure that everything was legally done. The controller could make sure that no illegal displays occur when the vehicle is not parked.

Are they legal? lighting on the rear of vehicles is highly regulated by DOT as well as states. I suspect you could be ticketed for that in California if the cop really wanted to.

About half of our users are in CA. I''ve not heard of single report of any trouble with the law. And when I was in CA with my own Model S (for a week in July) I was trailed by several police cars for a mile or two. Nothing happened even though the appliqué was on and working as it should. Same deal in Maryland and in my drive across country and back. The lighted applique is impossible to miss and if the police had any trouble with it they would have pulled me over. So it's not a problem. In fact the police probably believe it's a built in feature of the car, which is certainly what it looks like.

@7777
I don’t see a problem with returning the car with the original appliqué. The Gen 1 appliqué is attached with double sided tape and yes it will take some work to remove. Gen 2 will be attached with clips the same way the original Tesla appliqué.

Removing Gen 2 will take all but a couple of minutes, more time will be spent cleaning the bracket and tail lens then removing and replacing the appliqué. You can save the controller
just don’t cut all tap wires at once. Do it right and you can install the Gen 2 appliqué on you new ride.

- - - Updated - - -

Last edited: