Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Model S lowers itself after park? How long it takes to get a lower bumper?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Our loaner car ended up with $2700 in damage...from lowering itself onto a tiny Tesla supercharger stall parking bumper! Yes, you definitely should be worried. I can’t imagine what would have happened if it was a normal parking spot bumper—it probably would have taken off the entire front of the car.

I am currently having this problem. My car has been at Tesla for weeks with no resolution to this issue. The service tech says nothing is wrong with the car.
This problem only started last July (2018) and mine is a 2015. Never occurred prior.

I researched parking curbs. They are generally 6 inches in height. I also measured parking curbs where my bumper was ripped off. Below 6 inches.

Did anybody else get a diagnosis as to the problem?

was wondering if mine had a leak as well please post your findings after SC visit... i previously drove an S2000 and scraped the front bumper once.. now I am a lifetime never put any bumper over a curb driver

Only problem with this is the Model S is so long, lol. As for the lowering issue, I've had my car since Sept 2018 (Built May 2018) and don't think I've noticed this issue. I'm usually on standard height.

After 3 weeks at the service center, NOTHING! Someone (Joe) replied to my email that since he can't personally inspect my car, he has to rely on his service techs----who found NOTHING.

Since picking up the vehicle 1 week ago, the issue has only happened 1 time. I have been taking photographic evidence. Joe said sorry, and that's it. (I sent him the picture). I as m now careful to raise suspension everytime I back out.

My front bumper was pushed back on, but very mangled. The repair is over $2,500. I figure I won't replace until it comes off again. I love my Tesla, but for over $100K.......

I almost forgot this problem and pulled over a curb again since it is my wife’s car and I drive it occasionally. Anyway, Tesla should cover the cost to repair. Insurance company is not happy to pay for the repair and they will charge you your deductible. The pain is you must wait weeks for the repair with no loaner.

It’s not the right answer or fix. But I’ve learned to just back in or not pull in very far so as not to hang over anything. But my wife occasionally drives it and I can’t always be there to make sure.
I wish there were more answers and facts surrounding this from Tesla. Or at least a setting to turn off auto level for good.

What the hell does that supposedly help with anyway? Auto leveling

For this very reason, i will intentionally park the car farther back and then use summon to correct my parking forward. If I do pull too far forward, I'll summon in reverse to clear the block or curb. I only wish summon were more reliable. Usually takes me about 5 attempts to get summon to connect and work.

Last edited:
I've seen reports of this in the past and am very cautious not to let the front bumper hang over any curb or object. The problem is that the Model S is very long, so the tail of the car sometimes sticks out into the travel path of other vehicles. I worry that someone will be careless and strike my car. Would be nice for Tesla to stop lowering the vehicle so that I can reliably park over those curbs.

Tesla needs to turn this off. As near as I can tell there is no situation in which the car needs to lower or raise itself when the driver has no way to be aware it has happened in their absence. At the very least there should be a message on the dash upon the driver's return advising them of a changed suspension height. This happened to me in a loaner. I almost ripped the entire front of the car off. Fortunately, the damage was isolated to some clips and did not tear the front plastic fascia. I'm thankful this was not my own car it happened to. I would have absolutely blamed the software in the car and by association Tesla and I'm certain it still would have been my responsibility. Now that I am aware of the issue I make it a point to examine the car whenever I come back out of somewhere and if there is any doubt I go to very high before moving. This appears to be a trap few are aware of that can be extremely costly to repair.

This happened to my brand new P100D. Fortunately, it was just few scrapes under the front splitter.

I find coil suspension cars will also settle when sitting for a while. I frequently pull into a spot easily and find the front of our Acura dragging on the way out. Not only after big dinners.

Always wait a while after pushing on the brake for the car to fully initialize. Always back out slowly. Better, back into spots. There is more clearance in the back.

Yup! I always back into spots and the rear camera helps you figure how far to back in!

Same here. Drive into a parking spot, 30 minutes later, back out and the front bumper had lowered itself squarely on the parking bumper. Significant front end damage. Immediately drove to Tesla Service Center and they determined there was no issue with the car, no suspension leaks etc. "Have a nice day."

$6,000 (six thousand dollars) in damages. Wrote Tesla but never heard any sort of response.

I don't want my car to move up, down, back, forward, left or right when it is parked. Yet it did. But on the flip side, the geniuses at Tesla now gave us whoopee cushion sounds. Because that was somehow a priority allocation of scarce Tesla resources.

It is the kind of thing that makes me wonder if my next car will be a Tesla.

• Informative
Reactions: rsg123
Same here. Drive into a parking spot, 30 minutes later, back out and the front bumper had lowered itself squarely on the parking bumper. Significant front end damage. Immediately drove to Tesla Service Center and they determined there was no issue with the car, no suspension leaks etc. "Have a nice day."

$6,000 (six thousand dollars) in damages. Wrote Tesla but never heard any sort of response.

I don't want my car to move up, down, back, forward, left or right when it is parked. Yet it did. But on the flip side, the geniuses at Tesla now gave us whoopee cushion sounds. Because that was somehow a priority allocation of scarce Tesla resources.

It is the kind of thing that makes me wonder if my next car will be a Tesla.

Sorry that happened to you! They should definitely warn everyone with air suspension about this issue. However I can’t say for sure if it’s covered in the manual since our issue happened in a loaner.

The car likely will continue to self level to it’s lowest spot at certain intervals. Also if there are any leaks in the air suspension they will be amplified in cold weather. Also the air springs tend to develop internal issues that begin to make rattling sounds as they age. I’ve had many luxury cars over the years that all used similar air springs as the Tesla does, hence I chose a Model S with the standard suspension to avoid the headaches.

I have a 2022 Model S Long Range that is only one week old. Experienced a similar situation as others on this thread. Parked the car with the sensors showing me that I had 15 inches of space. Went inside for 5 mins and when I went to leave, there was a terrible scrapping noise as my front end dragged off the parking curb. I even felt the front slide slide down off of the parking curb, so it wasn't a small difference in height due to the tires cooling off. The suspension lowered after parking. Bottom of my front end is scrapped to heck, but thankfully the visible upper bumper wasn't mangled.

Thank you. Tesla service rep said it will not do that. I believe it was exactly what happened. The car had to be lower far enough for it to rip out the lower bumper.
I had the same thing happen to me with a parking stopper destroying my front fascia. The Tesla rep said it was my fault because I'm supposed to be in control of the car at all times. The latest was them telling me that it's normal for the car to lower when it's unoccupied. I'm very curious to find out what happened in your case

Tesla needs to turn this off. As near as I can tell there is no situation in which the car needs to lower or raise itself when the driver has no way to be aware it has happened in their absence. At the very least there should be a message on the dash upon the driver's return advising them of a changed suspension height. This happened to me in a loaner. I almost ripped the entire front of the car off. Fortunately, the damage was isolated to some clips and did not tear the front plastic fascia. I'm thankful this was not my own car it happened to. I would have absolutely blamed the software in the car and by association Tesla and I'm certain it still would have been my responsibility. Now that I am aware of the issue I make it a point to examine the car whenever I come back out of somewhere and if there is any doubt I go to very high before moving. This appears to be a trap few are aware of that can be extremely costly to repair.
My car automatically lowered while I was not in it onto a curb and destroy the front fascia. Tessa told me it's my fault cuz I have to be in control of the car at all times. I found it to be ridiculous and I'm very curious to find out how your case resolved