Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Model S Mistake? Advice appreciated

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
First off, you would be crazy not to switch if it doesn't cost more other than the increase in price.
Unless they are in the 7-day "no questions asked" return window, it will clearly be far more than that. Though I do agree - if OP can give the car back and cancel the sale, that's a different scenario.

The first and most important thing most people here do not understand is the normal range Tesla is a capped 100kwh pack model s.
Most people here do not understand that because you have basically fabricated it with zero evidence. Furthermore, given the published weight of various models, it's almost certainly NOT the case.

Model S | Tesla

Standard Range: 4769 pounds
Long Range: 4883 pounds

Last edited:
Is it even an option to switch? You say price difference is $6000 but there's only about a $4000 difference between the 2 prices you listed, which is it?

I have the textile seats in my 2018 75D and am very happy with them.
Yes I have the option as I am within my 1,000 mile 7 day period.
You are absolutely correct - the correct increase would be $4,300 (plus marginal increase in taxes)

Yes I have the option as I am within my 1,000 mile 7 day period.
You are absolutely correct - the correct increase would be $4,300 (plus marginal increase in taxes)

In that case, why not? If you have the money, might as well. I would. I am seriously thinking about ordering this new Model S even though I bought a used one a few months ago thinking Tesla can't bait me into buying a new one with any planned upgrades. Now I am not so sure anymore, range is king after all.

Last edited:
1. I didnt know they sold an S without leather, I'm shocked.
2. Pls dont think Re sale, think 10 yr ROI. I have 134k miles. I plan to keep it till i die or total it.
3. The difference of 20 miles makes little difference to me. My max is abot 240, i never charger because they they told me not to.
4. On trips u will always route to Super chargers, charge at home at night. I have solar panels, so mine is always charged.to 175.
5. Attached is page from manual u might not have seen?

Don't really wanna get off topic here but... I guess I will.

I am sure many people on here will bash me on this but the never charge to 100% advice is mostly BS. I wouldn't charge to 100% and leave your car for days but the occasional charge to 100% does no noteworthy damage to your battery. My wife's 2015 Model S 85 has 40k miles on it and we mostly Supercharge it due to our work related travel and we charge to 100% several times a month. We have only lost 7 miles of range since taking delivery.

Don't really wanna get off topic here but... I guess I will.

I am sure many people on here will bash me on this but the never charge to 100% advice is mostly BS. I wouldn't charge to 100% and leave your car for days but the occasional charge to 100% does no noteworthy damage to your battery. My wife's 2015 Model S 85 has 40k miles on it and we mostly Supercharge it due to our work related travel and we charge to 100% several times a month. We have only lost 7 miles of range since taking delivery.
I could not agree more. I generally follow the rules of thumb and try not to let it sit at 100% myself for a long time, but I don’t think twice about charging to 100 when I need it.
I laugh with a buddy of mine because we have both had our MS 75 for a couple years now. I generally charge to 90% daily and when I need it to 100.
He has charged his to 100% every single day since new(he’s a rebel) not because he needs it just because he doesn’t care and wants all the range available always. And he believes for the mainstream driver this effortless way of doing it is what it should be.
Anyway long story short he’s lost about 3% of battery life to my nearly 6% loss in last 2 years. Mine has steadied out at this number and is fine. It’s fine and I’m happy with it.
Anyway I’m sure someone else could have a different experience but I’m not sold on the “sky is falling” idea, and all the not charging to 100 talk.

These are the seats...

Im still torn if its worth it because I love the dark ask trim but hate the idea of buying such an expensive car without premium interior

Attachments

• IMG_2300.jpeg
    IMG_2300.jpeg
    382.5 KB · Views: 83
  • IMG_2301.jpeg
    IMG_2301.jpeg
    733.5 KB · Views: 67
I have those seats and I like them. But when I bought mine, the premium seats were a $3300 upgrade, which is why I chose the textile. If I could have gotten all those other things I mentioned in post #27, along with the premium seats, for $4300, I would have done that.

Also, someone earlier mentioned that those 26 more miles of range would make no difference to them. With my frequent round trips from Austin to San Antonio and Houston, it would make a big difference to me. So what I'm saying is it depends on your circumstances. If you're doing day trips that are 200+ miles, the extra range would come in very handy. Sometimes I have to change my route to make sure I go by a supercharger, where if I had that extra range, I could make the whole trip without stopping or re-routing.

I could not agree more. I generally follow the rules of thumb and try not to let it sit at 100% myself for a long time, but I don’t think twice about charging to 100 when I need it.
I laugh with a buddy of mine because we have both had our MS 75 for a couple years now. I generally charge to 90% daily and when I need it to 100.
He has charged his to 100% every single day since new(he’s a rebel) not because he needs it just because he doesn’t care and wants all the range available always. And he believes for the mainstream driver this effortless way of doing it is what it should be.
Anyway long story short he’s lost about 3% of battery life to my nearly 6% loss in last 2 years. Mine has steadied out at this number and is fine. It’s fine and I’m happy with it.
Anyway I’m sure someone else could have a different experience but I’m not sold on the “sky is falling” idea, and all the not charging to 100 talk.
If you charge to 100%, you won’t have regen for about 10 miles or so, which results in increased wear to your brakes.

First off, you would be crazy not to switch if it doesn't cost more other than the increase in price.

The first and most important thing most people here do not understand is the normal range Tesla is a capped 100kwh pack model s. This mean you can essentially charge to 100% all the time and never need to worry about degradation or slow supercharging with you start getting full. Moreover you get a lot of the new features such as the new motors and whatnot those are much more worth it for the price increase. I would switch if there is no penalty other than the slight increase in price for the new features.
Please provide a creditable source, key word being, creditable verifying the standard range has a limited long range battery. According to the Tesla website the long range S weights 4883 lbs. Standard range weights 4769 lbs. Range and performance are the only differences between the two. Both are directly related to battery. If standard range has the same battery that is limited why is the weight different? Guess we could debate if Tesla is a creditable source.